Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Cooking a turkey breast

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 2:18 am
Bubby, I hope you don't mind but I'm starting a new thread based on your questions Smile

YESHASettler wrote:
I have a crock pot recipe for BBQ pulled pork. I used turkey breast. Since I never ate pork I can't tell you if it was an even exchange, but the turkey breast really held up for the recipe.

bubby wrote:
I'll bear that in mind!! Wink Rolling Eyes

Can you roast turkey breast like meat? We never eat it as a roast. Same sauces etc you would use for meat?

Turkey breast is more mild than beef, it tastes basically (or to me anyway) like chicken.

But yes, you can roast a turkey breast like meat although I would keep it covered for all but the last 10-15 minutes since it will dry out.

A favorite marinade I make for a turkey breast roast is: soy sauce, olive oil, red onion finely chopped, lots of fresh chopped basil, minced garlic and some brown sugar. I let it marinade for a couple of hours then roast it in a pan with onions, carrots and potatoes (and be sure to add all the marinade). It cooks completely covered for about 2 hours for a whole turkey breast.

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 2:27 am
Don't mind a bit! I should imagine a turkey breast roast is a lot cheaper than red meat, but as it's naturally much drier the trick is keeping it juicy, right???

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 2:30 am
Cheaper is relative to where you live. Here in Israel there are some cuts of beef that are cheaper than turkey... which I can never understand given that beef is imported and turkey is a locally raised 'crop'.

And yes, the trick is to keeping it juicy while it cooks.

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 2:32 am
I think I may try it with your recipe while I'm at DD's, she gets turkey much easier than chicken & red meat is off the charts price wise.

she pays $20 a lb for shnitzel!!! So this would be very nice. Thanks! Another way might be my usual roast recipe" lots of fried onions mixed with apricot jam & a bit of salt & shmeared over the meat, sitting in red wine. Then I baste with the wine. What do you think?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 2:34 am
White wine. Otherwise it sounds yummy!

Maybe garlic powder and a tiny bit of ground ginger instead of salt?

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 6:50 am
As far as turkey roast drying out... it helps if you can get one with the skin still on. Usually here it's skinless, but you can ask butcher. I agree covering it helps too and I use a meat thermometer to make sure I get it out at exactly the right moment.
(And Bubby, definitely do white wine or your turkey will be a very funny color).

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 6:57 am
you can also get turkey roasts made of dark meat, if you prefer that type. I don't love turkey roasts but I've used them when cooking for a large crowd - so easy to cook! just throw over a sauce, roast, and then slice and reheat in the sauce when needed. I used the recipe from the kosher pallette and people loved it.

By large crowd - I mean 100 or more people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey