Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Hired help working slow

amother

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 3:31 am
I have a lady that's been coming to me for over 2 years to fold laundry and do dishes. (And sometimes pick up some toys)
Lately it's taking her a very long time. (like over 6 hours a week to just fold lanudry)

I'm not sure what to do - she's nice and she is cheap.
But I could probably find a teenager that will be a bit more expensive but probably much faster.
What would you do?
I'm thinking of cutting the current lady down to once a week and getting someone else another day and to see how it goes.
(now I have her twice a week which is not enough anymore for her to just get through the laundry (I wash and dry - she just folds)

what would you do?

FraydaSue

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 4:32 am
OP - has the amount of laundry changed eg. new baby, more layers of clothing, etc? Or do all the socks look alike and take hours to match up? Perhaps she's going through a hard time of her own and is finding it hard to work so fast. I try to treat my cleaner as a friend - always offer her coffee and cake when she arrives, etc., and find that this helps.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 4:57 am
I don't think I have that much laundry
I think she is working slower and taking more breaks. - I just don't know what to do about it.
I did mention that it seems that there is not enough time to fold all the laundry -does she know why and she had no suggestions.

maidale

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 5:04 am
Maybe she has no other work and is trying to strech the work so she gets more hours? It shouldn't take 6 hours to fold laundry, not even if you're octomom or Michelle Duggar.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:07 am
Ask her if she is feeling ok. If she is not feeling great she may be working slower because of that. Does she charge by the hour or job?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:12 am
it would take me twice as long ... lol

so what changed since she started to now ... find out ...

amother

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 12:51 am
op here
the issue is that I think she is taking a lot of breaks. She looks like she's not feeling so good.
I'm hoping it's because she's pregnant (she's married a few years without kids)
I can't say anything to her but I don't feel like paying all the extra time.

the thing I liked about her most is she is dependable and minds her own business.

I might try a high school girl - and see how quickly she could do it and if she could be dependable.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 12:51 am
and yes she's paid by the hour
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics