Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Sifting flour

louche

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 8:53 am
What is the maximum acceptable size mesh for sifting flour? Does whole wheat flour pass through this size sieve? If not, how does one sift whole wheat flour?

Shmerling

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 2:16 pm
There is really no way to sift it. If the holes are big enough to let through those kernels, then it'll let through the bugs too. I just check it very well visually.

louche

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 2:32 pm
Shmerling wrote:
There is really no way to sift it. If the holes are big enough to let through those kernels, then it'll let through the bugs too. I just check it very well visually.

No, no, I don't mean whole kernel wheat, I mean whole wheat flour. Ground.

Shmerling

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 2:55 pm
louche wrote:
Shmerling wrote:

No, no, I don't mean whole kernel wheat, I mean whole wheat flour. Ground.

I know what you mean. But even the ground still has those pieces, which are as big as bugs.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 2:57 pm
what about regular flour, is it halacha or chumra to sift it?

Marion

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 3:08 pm
It depends where you are. In places where infestations are not a known issue (like America), it's chumra. In EY it's halacha.

grin

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 3:43 pm
in order to avoid the difficulty of sifting WW flour (as has been said), I use flour that has been kept in a freezer since being ground at the mill - that way it doesn't need sifting at all, since bugs can't grow in such cold. (it's both kosher as well as convenient!) many cities with frum communities now have this available - ask your neighbors.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 3:50 pm
Quote:
many cities with frum communities now have this available - ask your neighbors.

There is one bakery in BP that sell this. They charge about $5 a pound!!! ridiculous!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 9:27 pm
Marion wrote:
It depends where you are. In places where infestations are not a known issue (like America), it's chumra. In EY it's halacha.

I live in NY, that means its ok to serve cake for people which I didnt sift the flour?

Pineapple

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 10:19 pm
Shibolim has ww flour that you dont have to sift - I saw it for $4.19 for three pounds ($1.40lb)

The maximum mesh is 70 - it gets out everything

amother

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 7:02 am
Is there anywhere to buy flour in israel that is already sifted? just curious. I do not bake much (closer to like, ever), but I was thinking about baking challah as a surprise for my DH. Id rather spend the extra $ on presifted flour than go buy a mesh (which I am assuming is metal --> has to be toilveled) which I will probably never use again or use again in like 5 yrs lol.

Marion

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 7:03 am
Mesh is not wire and does not need to be toveled. In fact, I wash mine very rarely, because I find the water clogs the pores.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 7:09 am
Marion wrote:
Mesh is not wire and does not need to be toveled. In fact, I wash mine very rarely, because I find the water clogs the pores.

still tho I feel like to spend even 5 dollars on an item I will use once and will take up space in my (very limited small amount of!!) cabinet space...when I can just spend that 5 dollars on a more expensive food 2 make my life a drop easier for the day, since like I said chances are this is a one time thing, I wud rather spend the $ on the food item, if possible. because that will make my life easier and will make the baking take shorter and like I said I am NOT a baker and am trying to do this as a surprise for DH (for his birthday and his mother always makes homemade challah and we just got married!)

Marion

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 7:25 am
amother wrote:
Marion wrote:

still tho I feel like to spend even 5 dollars on an item I will use once and will take up space in my (very limited small amount of!!) cabinet space...when I can just spend that 5 dollars on a more expensive food 2 make my life a drop easier for the day, since like I said chances are this is a one time thing, I wud rather spend the $ on the food item, if possible. because that will make my life easier and will make the baking take shorter and like I said I am NOT a baker and am trying to do this as a surprise for DH (for his birthday and his mother always makes homemade challah and we just got married!)

I have no argument with your logic. I just wanted to point out that the assumption that it needs to be toveled is wrong (for the sake of others who might wonder as well).

Inspired

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 7:36 am
Yes, the same brand that makes vacuum packed ww makes vacuum packed white. I don't recall the brand name though.

grin

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:56 pm
amother wrote:
Marion wrote:

I live in NY, that means its ok to serve cake for people which I didnt sift the flour?
ask your LOR.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen