Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
HELP ASAP! mold/mildew forming on brand new bathroom walls

amother

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 7:50 am
We have a bathroom that was just put in about a month ago. In the shower area, I see little dots of black forming along the white lines of the grout surrounding the tiles.
Firstly, what is the best cleaner to use to get rid of it without destroying the grout?
What can I do to prevent it from happening in the first place?

I leave the window open a bit in there all the time as well....

tzipp

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 8:45 am
bleach should work- put in a spray bottle and spray generously, let sit a half hr and then wipe off. How about installing one of those fans- a cieling bathroom fan usually it's part of a light fixture. It's a shame in a new bathroom... Also make sure the grout between the tiles was sealed properly. The ocntractor should have applied a sealing coating that needs to be replaced every few years.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 11:27 am
I know that according to code, a bathroom without a window has to have a vent fan installed. It's still good to have a vent fan in a bathroom with a window. I see the difference between our old bathroom that has a window and no vent fan, and the new bathroom that has no window and a vent fan - and the grout has been sealed. The old bathroom gets moldy so quickly, and the new one hasn't had mold at all.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 12:22 pm
It has a vent/ fan but I rarely use it because I hate the noise- but if it such a big difference, I would. When am I supposed to keep the fan on? The whole day? When the shower is on????

louche

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 12:24 pm
Use the vent fan when showering and for about 10-15 minutes afterwards. It need not be on all day.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 12:25 pm
A) leave the bathroom door open.
b) keep the fan on while you get dressed, then turn it off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry