Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
10 Month old hits and scratches me when angry

amother

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 1:59 pm
My daughter is a very hot tempered girl. She gets angry if I don't let her touch something, or if I don't let her out of her high chair when she wants to be let out. She immediately screams, reaches out, and hits an scratches my face. Today has been a particularly bad day. Now, I'm sitting here with a bleeding nose. Seriously. My daughter scratched me so hard that my face is bleeding.
I'm at my wits end. I do not want to scream and hit her. But I have no idea what to do with an 10 month old. How to do I "show her who's boss"?

Is this a phase?

My husband and I are both believers in discipline. We do not want our children taking charge of the household or believing that it's OK to hit, pinch or scratch adults, or throw temper tantrums whenever they don't get what they want. We've read about disciplining older children (time outs, consequences, etc.), but we never dreamed we'd be dealing with a small child or 10 months old.

I'm really at a loss. Any advice on how to deal with a baby like this?

skcomputer

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 2:23 pm
I know this is very tough when you are in the middle of it. Hugs to you!

1. Make sure her nails are short - cut while sleeping if you need to.
2. Don't get your face, arms or hair close enough for the opportunity when you see it coming on.
3. You don't need to yell. Just say in a very firm tone of voice and serious facial expression that she cannot hit or scratch you. Then step away from her or put her down and turn your attention elsewhere. It might be met with further fuss at the beginning, but when she sees you are firm and non-reactive, it will stop.
4. The bright side: behaviors like this are usually a signal of a new step forward in learning or cognition. She is exercising her new skills.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 7:14 pm
10 month olds aren't so strong natured. She doesn't mean to hurt you. You can say "nooooo" & show her you displeased but distraction works best for these little ones. Give her a toy, make a silly sound or a funny face. You can't really expect her to express what she wants with words yet...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics