Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Children's event or Shabbos away?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 12:10 pm
In a few weeks my some of my children are in a play after Shabbos. For dh's work we are supposed to be away that Shabbos. Special arrangements for that particular Shabbos were made well before we knew about the play. Shabbos will be spent 1 hour away from home, where the play is. We need to be at the play 2 hours after Shabbos. Originally, I had thought it would be OK, but now I am having second thoughts. First, I think everyone else is going soon after Shabbos. The person in charge said our kids could come later, but they'd have to come all ready. We only have 1 hour to spare, and that is if everything goes right on time. We have only one extra hour to make Havdalah, get bags and everyone into the car, etc. and that doesn't include the post-Shabbos clean-up (Just to put into perspective, our routine after Shabbos, incuding the clean-up always take 2-3 hours!). Also, I worry about the weather or traffic. Even one small delay could make them late!

So, my other option is to stay home with the kids that are in the play, while dh goes away. The question then is what to do with the other little kids who are not in the play. They would be fine for Shabbos, but I can't take them to the play while I watch my children. If dh goes by himself, I doubt he willl be back in time to watch them. I doubt babysitters will be available that evening since they will be in the play or watching it! DH says he has no problem taking them. But, then I wonder about diaper changes, bedtime, etc! He is perfectly capable of doing these things, for sure, but he will also be hosting people for Shabbos as well!!

So, do we all go away for Shabbos, and hope we get back in time? Or, do I stay home with the kids in the play and send dh with the others? Or maybe there is a solution I'm not thinking of!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children