Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
14 months old and still not walking
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 4:34 pm
my daughter is 14 months old and still not walking on her own. She walks with everything and anything she can get her hands on and push around with her, but she just seems not interested in walking on her own. She has taken a few steps and then will just sit down after maybe 6 or 7 and then is just happy to crawl or fall down and continue from there. I know alot of babies her age walk already and many start from even earlier and I've been getting really worried about it. The doctor says shes doing fine but I just keep worrying why she is taking so long?? should I be concerned?

RachelEve14

Post Sat, Feb 06 2010, 11:49 am
My earliest walker walked around 15 months. Avraham Tziv (latest walker) wasn't walking until 22 months. Unless you see some other form of a problem, she is totally within the normal range an there is absolutely no reason to worry now.

Inspired

Post Sat, Feb 06 2010, 12:27 pm
No you should not be concerned at all.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&a.....5bda8

Please don't continue to make mountains out of crevices, its not healthy for you or your children. Get a good child development book or read a trusted website so you will not continue to find things to needlessly worry about.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Feb 06 2010, 12:57 pm
Up to 18 months is considered developmentally normal. And even after that doesn't mean anything is wrong, just that you should check it out. One of my children wasn't walking at 18 months; the ped examined him and said nothing was wrong. He walked at 20 months which is considered very late. Anyway you would never know today as he walks, runs, cycles etc just like everyone else.

I think average is 13 months. That doesn't mean later is abnormal. There is a wide range of normal.

Newsie

Post Sat, Feb 06 2010, 2:46 pm
My earliest walker was 16 months and latest- 19 months. They told me that they don't start intervention here (Israel) till 21 months. Don't worry....

hadasa

Post Sat, Feb 06 2010, 4:46 pm
sounds totally normal to me... If she wasn't cruising while holding on - then I would worry.

shosh

Post Sat, Feb 06 2010, 6:24 pm
I remember being driven nuts by Tipat Chalav (the baby clinic) when my third child started walking late. So I told them that both my sister and I walked at 22 months, and that I was therefore not worried because it is a gene in my family. And lo and behold, he started walking at 22 months ... as did my fifth child and also my sixth, who is a twin and whose twin sis was walking a few months before he was (and by then the clinic didn't bat an eyelid bc they could see that my genetics theory was clearly correct).

So as you can see, sometimes these things are genetic, so perhaps you should find out when you or dh started walking, and it might reassure you too.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 06 2010, 7:08 pm
I walked late.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 06 2010, 7:23 pm
Thanks for everyones reassuring comments this makes me feel much better!

Tova

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 10:45 am
My daughter is the same age (almost 15 months) and cruises/walks holding on to our hands, the couch, her brother's train table, a walker, stroller, etc. but does not walk on her own. It didn't even occur to me to think twice about it. She started rolling over, crawling, and cruising early, and probrably now just gets around so efficiently that she doesn't feel a need to walk.

I was just happy that my son was walking nicely at 18 months when she was born so I did not have to carry around 2 kids!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 10:57 am
My baby started walking at almost 17 months! Some babies start early, some late and some 'on time'. But you should know that these kids usually excel in other areas of their development more than another child ,so I don't think you should be concerned. Don't worry, when your child will be ready to walk, she will!

kiddo

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 10:57 am
As the above posters said, it is totally normal... This I probably your first, because that is usually when you're worried and anxious for the kid to be up to par and preferably to the next stage already.... Enjoy those days... they won't come back.... Very Happy

chaylizi

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 11:06 am
my girls walked at 13 & 14 months respectively. my son is already 15 months & he doesn't walk (or crawl, or put any weight on his left knee). He has been in therapy & now we are going to have an orthopedist look at his knee to make sure everything is all right. 15 months & not walking is definitely within the range of normal. If you notice something that needs attention, don't just ignore it because it's within the normal range. Talk to your pediatrician about it. If everything else looks fine, don't sweat the small stuff & just enjoy your baby. They grow up so fast.

deams

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 7:09 pm
in my family we were all late walkers. walked from 18-23 months. there was no reason to be concerned bec. we could get around.

hesha

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 7:48 pm
To the OP,
Is there any way you could get a hold of some informative books, like "what to expect the first year" and "what to expect in the toddler years." these are books that will give you a lot of reassuring information so that you don't need to needlessly worry.

TrendE

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 7:54 pm
14 months is on the early side. I wouldnt worry until the child hits a year and a half.

WriterMom

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 7:56 pm
My third didn't walk, I mean for long distances without holding something (more than a couple steps) until about 21 months. At the time I worried, our family doctor said he was fine, and sure enough a few years later he's totally normal - smarter than average, but of course I'm totally unbiased Smile

If you have any reason to think there's a problem bring it up at your next well baby check up, but otherwise try not to worry - this is well within the range of normal!

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 8:21 pm
Both my kids were super crawlers at 7 mos and cruisin' at 8-9 mos....and didn't venture into free walking until 15 mos. I also had points with dc1 where I thought soemthing was wrong--since he'd been doing the crawling/cruising combo for mos....but he finally got into walking BH right around when I got pg with dc2.

mommy24

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 9:13 pm
all my kids started walking by 9-13 months, when my 5th baby was not even standing by 13 months I got him evaluated. the PT said it is totally within the normal range for a child to not be walking at 18 months. If you are nervous definately speak it over with your pediatrician. My baby was not approved for the EI, he started walking when he was 18 months.

Last edited by mommy24 on Sun, Feb 07 2010, 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

chaylizi

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 9:16 pm
that's interesting. a kid who doesn't crawl at 13 months is automatically delayed on the gross motor scale. even though not every kid crawls. I'm very surprised that the PT just said it was fine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics