Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Iraqi Chicken Soup - from Hamodia 2 months ago

amother

Post Sun, Feb 21 2010, 5:09 pm
Does anyone have the recipe? Please? Thanks!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 8:19 am
I didn't see the original in Hamodia so not sure if you're talking about the same thing or not, but the only Iraqi chicken soup I know are either the regular clear broth or the creamy one thickened with rice. For the creamy one, you either cook with a handful of raw rice (rinsed) for a looong time (like 4-5 hrs), or add about 2-3 heapful tablespoon ground rice powder dissolved with water for the last 1hr of cooking. For seasoning, you can use fresh ginger roots and turmeric (which adds nice yellow colour) aside from salt and pepper, and squeeze LOTS of lemon juice RIGHT BEFORE serving. For Indian/Burmese version, you use chickpea flour (gram flour) for thickening, use smashed lemongrass and curry leaves as well as ginger and turmeric, coconut milk optional.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 10:23 am
Thanks! The recipe in the Hamodia listed cardomom among other spices.

Does anyone have the recipe please?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 6:13 am
Yeah, cardamon makes sense, but definitely turmeric and ginger. It must be the one originally from claudia Rosen.

dGirl

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 7:48 am
I came across these recipes awhile ago - though def not hamodia, could this recipe work for you?
Iraqi Recipes CJN

dGirl

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 7:50 am
hmmmm, can't seem to get the link to work - try and just copy and paste this address into your address bar and it should work. http://www.cjnews.com/index.ph.....id=86
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen