Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What to do with a 21 months terror/menace?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 2:44 pm
I have a 21 month old little boy who is a delicious, cute menace!
He's the one who dances on my table , throwing everything on to the floor. (ok, so now my tables are clear of everything.)
he already figured out how to open the childproof locks on my pots cabinet.
he walks into a room and the first thing he does is pull out all the plugs.
Yesterday, he discoverd with a bench, he can reach into my cutlery drawer and put the pareve stuff into the milchig dishes etc.

What do you do with such kids? I'm at such a loss. I spend most of my time when he's home telling him, no, no, go away from there, don't do that.

he's punished in his crib, he's been patched for the more dangerous stuff. hasn't stopped him yet..
What do I try now?

fiddle

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 2:47 pm
find him something to do. if you cant take him out, get him a tool bench toy and tools so he can play around fixing things. get him a bike to ride around the house (assuming you allow this) , let him cook with you - " wash dishes" fold laundry....... they help Smile make sure you keep him occupied with other things so he doesnt feel he has to touch everything.

hardworkingmommy

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 2:53 pm
I personally don’t believe in punishing kids in cribs. Cribs are made for sleeping not punishing. Maybe try time out instead of putting him in the crib when he does something he knows he's not supposed to & tell him why you are putting him in the corner etc. And instead of keep on telling him "no, don't go there don't do this etc. . " try sitting down with him & playing, read him books & spend some playing time with him, or when your desperate give him time to relax ,with some uncle moishe videos etc.
It seems like he needs more attention & some constructive play time. Good Luck.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 3:00 pm
For some reason he always has to be in the same room as me. I'll put him down in the playroom, and as soon as I try to sneak out, he'll come waddling after me.
sometime I just give up and take a good book ,and I read in the playroom while he plays.
but when I need to cook supper, he'll be right there with me, throwing the food into the garbage can, or emptying out drawers.

How can I let him fold laundry. he runs around the house with the cloths, I find my husband socks in my duaghters drawer. he mixes the clean stuff in the hamper.

I mean don't get me wrong, he is really cute, with this delicious laugh, and great sense of humour as he laughs while he works.

fiddle

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 3:05 pm
go into the room, keep it closed and let him sit in the laundry basket with the clean clothes while you are folding. while you are washing dishes let him bring a chair and stand next to you and get his hands wet and soapy and give him a sponge. while you are cooking, give him a bowl and a spoon and tell him to mix it....

ask him to throw away things for you, like dirty tissues or empty wrappers, he will learn that thats what you put in the garbage. have him help you load a washer and wash a floor with a washcloth.....

endless things to do. easier then cleaning up after him, is cleaning up with him.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 3:07 pm
[quote="amother"]For some reason he always has to be in the same room as me. I'll put him down in the playroom, and as soon as I try to sneak out, he'll come waddling after me.
sometime I just give up and take a good book ,and I read in the playroom while he plays.
but when I need to cook supper, he'll be right there with me, throwing the food into the garbage can, or emptying out drawers.

How can I let him fold laundry. he runs around the house with the cloths, I find my husband socks in my duaghters drawer. he mixes the clean stuff in the hamper.

I mean don't get me wrong, he is really cute, with this delicious laugh, and great sense of humour as he laughs while he works.[/quote]You are the light of his life. He wants to be with you. From my experiences as a SAHM this is totally normal. Whever you are, he's going to be. Why should he be all alone in a playroom when he can be near what he holds nearest and dearest?
So, you just have to keep your eyes open. When he is in the kitchen with you, tell him what he CAN touch, and stick with that. No punishements - he's not being bad, he's being curious! Satisfy his curiosity with things that are safe: plastic containers and covers, mixing utensils and tell him: this is for you. Even if he mixes up parve and milchig and even if you have to wash the things every day. Put the dangerous things far, far out of his reach. Keep your eyes open. He sounds like so much fun. You will look back and miss these days.
Do laundry when he's asleep. Folding, that is. When the clothes are wet, let him help you hang them (if you don't have a clothes rack, get one. I found my kids loved to "hang" laundry). Make him feel useful. Give him a broom. He's looking for things to do.
FWIW I am the mother of 5 boys....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics