Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
HELP need new vacuum cleaner

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 12:34 pm
My vacuum cleaner has died.

I bought my Oreck only 2 1/2 years ago and it has died on me. It started making a funny noise and giving off a burning smell, and I went back to the dealer. He told me the motor is gone, and replacing it costs about as much as a new one, because of their trade-in.

See - a new Oreck costs about $300 and you get the vac, plus the hand vac. My hand vac is fine. I can trade in my Oreck upright for just $175 and I get a brand new one. Since fixing the motor is about $90, plus he says the brush and cord need to be replaced for another $80, I may as well trade in.

I need help deciding if I should go ahead with the Oreck or if I should try something new and what that will cost.

Cons:
I'm not so thrilled that it only lasted 2 1/2 years. I don't think that's a great record. I only used it inhouse, yes I vacuum twice a week because I love cleanliness and have allergies, but I don't think that's excessive. In a house of DH, myself, and three girls ages 11, 8 1/2, and 2, it didn't get abused badly so why'd it break so fast? My house is fully carpeted except the kitchen...

Also, the Oreck does not reach into corners or against the wall well. For that you have to use the hand-vac, and it's a pain to have to take out two different machines....I used to have a Kenmore and I'd just zip on the attachment and do my corners right then and there....

Pros:
The Oreck is so light, it's a pleasure to zip around the house with and vacuum up quickly.

The price for a new one is not exhorbitant, even spread over a few short years (hopefully longer this time) it's not that much.

Your opinions and recommendations are much appreciated!

6coop

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 6:14 pm
I have an Oreck and I really like it for the same reasons you listed. Mine only lasted about 3.5 years though. I got another one because the flaws you listed don't really bother me too much. My Mom also had an Oreck that lasted only about 3 yrs. She got hers repeaired for about $60. I think they're just not built to last which is ridiculous because they are more expensive than other brands, but I really think that (when it works) it picks up better than other vacuums.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 7:37 pm
I have this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_1.....acuum

it's incredibly light, so I can vacuum the stairs while holding the canister in one hand and doing the vacuuming with the other. it does corners well with the stick attachment. I like that the power "button" (more of a slider, so you can make it more or less powerful as you like) is on the handle, not the canister. the price isn't bad, but if I may brag, we got ours for $40ish on black friday over a year ago. it does require bags, but that doesn't bother me at all. I don't know how long it will last me, but so far I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.

two thumbs up.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 7:38 pm
5 years ago I bought a refurbished Oreck on ebay for $120. It still works. It happens to need service now because I ran over something with it by accident, but it's still going strong.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 9:45 am
Thanks for your responses all.

Chaylizi I also thought it would last longer. When I bought it, someone was trading in his, but he'd had it for 15 years! But for some reason my experience has been similar to 6coops.

I ended up going for the Oreck, mostly because it's before Pesach and don't have time to shop around. I'm hoping this time it lasts longer. But they do seem to make them of plastic nowadays - it doesn't seem built to last. Maybe Chaylizi got an old one, maybe they used to make 'em better.

Thanks all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars