Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Don't want to compare, BUT....

eshes chayil

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 6:41 am
I know I'm not supposed to compare my twins to each other in developement (or anything else :-) but I'm starting to get a bit worried that my 17 month old son is still not walking, his twin sister has been walking and running for over a month. I know boys and girls develop differently, but now she is a "toddler" while he is still a baby :-) anybody have such a big "gap" between twins?

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 8:51 am
My children are not twins. DS#1 walked at just over 17 months; DS#2 walked at 16 months. My paediatrician said that up to 18-19 months is still in the range of "normal". If you are concerned I would make an appointment with the paed for AFTER Pesach...either you'll cancel it because your DS will have started walking or his physician will be able to help you get it sorted out.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 9:14 am
My twins developed at different rates, and they still have different strengths / weaknesses to this day. One walked first, the other spoke first. They were always on different levels.

As for my kids, they walked between 14 & 20 months, ds being the latest.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:28 am
both of my twins (3 years old) have developmental delays but in different areas. some milestones, they're over a YEAR apart. It's been at least a year that my son (who has autism) has been jumping. My daughter still can't jump-- not even close.

They were both way behind on walking-- her because of her hypotonia and him because his autism made him stubborn-- he was ABLE to walk but refused to do it (that's his situation with talking now). But once she FINALLY started walking, he started walking within a month. So in some instances seeing a twin do something convinces the other twin that it's time. I've heard this can be true with potty training, particularly (I haven't trained my twins yet-- I plan to start my daughter first, but STILL neither twin is ready).

That happened with my daughter climbing on the couch--- she saw her brother doing it and she tried and tried and tried.... finally got it. Hoping the same will be true for jumping--- I just got them a trampoline.

I just try to accept each twin where s/he is and think of him/her as an individual as much as possible. Even at the IEP meeting, we finished all the evals and paperwork for one twin before starting the other so we wouldn't talk about both at once and get confused. Pediatrician's office too--- we attempt to talk about one twin at a time.

My twins walked at 20 and 21 months--- so don't stress too much about 17! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more