Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are people who don't gebrochts frummer than those who don't?
1  2  3  4  Next

Are people who eat only non-gebrochts frummer?
Yes  
 12%  [ 17 ]
No  
 87%  [ 118 ]
Total Votes : 135

amother

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 6:53 am
Do you see those who don't eat gebrochts in general as being frummer?

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 6:58 am
nope. just a different minhag. I don't see people who don't eat fish on pesach as frummer then me either.

That's why chassidim eat gebrokts on the 8th day, to show it is just a chumra.

(although, often people who don't eat gebrokts are chassidim who in general are often frummer about certain things)

freidasima

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 6:59 am
I answered "no".
Are people who eat kitniyos on Pesach less frum than people who don't?
Are people who eat only chassidish schita in general more frum than people who don't?
Are people who only eat vegetables that can be peeled on pesach more fun than people who don't?
Are people who sing sholom aleichem standing up more frum than those who sing it sitting down?
Are women who do extra bedikos more frum than those who don't?
Are women who wear a burka more frum than those who don't?
Should I go on or do you get the idea?

There are things which are minhog. If it is yours, keep it. If it isn't and you want to keep it, and it doesn't bother anyone it's your business. If it is something that has a bearing on all of am yisroel and has repercussions on other people even second hand (think burka) think again.

Not eating gebrokts is chassidish minhog. You are chassidish? Wonderful. Keep it. You aren't? You want to keep it? Well, it's a good way to lose weight, all that matza that you won't dunk in your soup, or no matza brei or no matza meal cakes. Makes life easeir in general. No kneidlach. I was brought up that way but davka my father z"l told me when I get older not to keep it, he only kept it in memory of his own father z"l but knew that there was no din involved and so he "potured" me already as a child from keeping it. But it's the only way I know how to cook. So my dh if he wants to put matza in his soup, geh gezint a heit (but he doesn't as he doesn't like matza). If my kids want kneidlich, they can make if they want, I don't know how.

hadasa

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 7:08 am
I'm not exactly sure how you measure Frumkeit or how to decide who is Frummer. But Gebrokts is a Chassidishe Minhag. I would not consider a Litvishe who doesn't keep Chassidishe Minhagim "less Frum". Or a Sephardi who doesn't keep Ashkenazi Minhagim either.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 7:24 am
freidasima wrote:

Are people who only eat vegetables that can be peeled on pesach more fun than people who don't?

Yes, we are more fun actually. Wink

sequoia

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 8:34 am
Yeah, lubavitchers are pretty fun Smile

anonymom

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 8:35 am
Yes, and the longer your seder lasts, the frummer you are. Even if you wasted time on foolish stuff in middle.

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 8:38 am
How ridiculous. It's a Minhag.
Just like people who wait 6 hours after eating meat before eating milk aren't frummer then the people who wait 3.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 8:47 am
Mrs.K wrote:
How ridiculous. It's a Minhag.
Just like people who wait 6 hours after eating meat before eating milk aren't frummer then the people who wait 3.

Except that it's also a chumra, and it can be argued that people who take on chumras are often frummer.

supermama2

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 9:01 am
Voted "NO".
If someone doesn't eat gebrochts and looks down on those who do eat it then I see a problem there.

freidasima

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 9:14 am
Oy yoy yoy. you can see that I am getting used to my new multifocal glasses, can't you. THEY AREN'T FUN (they also aren't frummer, but that's another story). Dh promises that it takes about three weeks and then you can see just fine, only there are moments still...

Liba

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 9:15 am
I know some very very shtark families who eat gebrochts.

I don't see the connection between gebrochts and frumkeit unless it is the family minhag and you don't keep it.

freidasima, generally your husband's minhagim are the ones followed, not your father and his minhagim whether or not he potered you. If it is your husband's minhag not to eat gebrochts it is definitely a CYLOR issue.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 9:33 am
Dont know if it's frummer but definitely more stringent.

freidasima

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 9:46 am
Of course Liba, what I mean is that he poturned me even as a little kid so that I could eat gebrokts as could my mother. Only he kept it, in memory of his father and as it is a tircha and not at all a halochic necessity but a chumra shel hachumra, he was not "for" it and had no intention of my carrying it on, even if I never got married.

WriterMom

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 9:48 am
This is part of the mentality that drives me crazy. There are people who see every chumra, every complication, everything that makes it harder to be a frum Jew, as desireable. And every time they decide that "frum Jews must do X" when X is clearly minhag and not din, the Jewish world shifts further along the spectrum (not going to say "right" because that's a flawed way of thinking about Judaism) and a larger chunk of the Jewish world gets left (perhaps permanently) behind.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 10:00 am
My dh minhag is not to eat gebrochts. It in no way makes one frummer. But it is a strong minhag & one can't just potur their kids. When dd was in sem her rav told her to do hataras nedarim (if she had dads permission), in order to eat at peoples homes.Dh was fine with it but told her it was only for that year, or until she gets married. He was more concerned with overall kashrus of where she was. She went to good friends of ours who we trust completly even though they eat gebrochts Wink

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 10:46 am
Frum isn't what's on your plate or on your head. It's what in your heart.

punktfarkert

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 10:51 am
chocolate moose wrote:

In your heart? What about "maasa hu ha'ikar"?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 10:54 am
punktfarkert wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

In your heart? What about "maasa hu ha'ikar"?

So what's the Ikar with the frum looking child molester, drug seller, credit card fraud guy.... want me to go on?

CM, I really liked what you said.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 10:57 am
thank you. I say it often.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen