Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
What tefillos do you daven?

Isramom8

Post Tue, Apr 06 2010, 10:15 am
A long Shacharis? A short Shacharis? Mincha? Tehillim?

At my stage of life, I daven a short Shacharis and some Tehillim then or later.

freidasima

Post Tue, Apr 06 2010, 12:38 pm
Full shachris from adon olam to shir shel yom. Sometimes when I am rushed I end up davening the beginning while doing something else (don't ask) around the house but by the time Io get to Yishtabach I stop what I am doing and just daven until the end.
Mincha.
I try to find time to say tehilim shel yom but lately haven't really managed to say the whole thing.
And yes, I did the same davening when the kids were babies too. This was MY time and they learned it. I love remembering how oldest dd would stand up in her playpen in the living room when I davened shmoneh esreh and shuckel back and forth as if she were davening, she must have been about a year at the time. They knew not to cry when I got to shmoneh esreh because I would not move to them. Kids learn fast. I don't mean 3 month olds, that's asking a lot, then I would daven holding them, But as soon as they began to crawl and notice what was going on around them they went into the playpen when I davened and knew the cues.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 06 2010, 4:32 pm
I say shema israel... leolam vaed and mode ani in the morning, shema again in the night. In my shitta you're covered by any personal prayer in any language but a shema a day is seen as ideal (for women).

mimivan

Post Tue, Apr 06 2010, 5:13 pm
modeh ani
morning brachos
shema before eating some mezonos

short Shachris: Adon olam, first two paras of korbanos, Baruch Shemar, ashrei yishtebach, brachos before shema, shemonah esrei, short tachnun, aleinu (before my second child was born and I started working I used to daven all of psukei d'zimra but not anymore)
mincha.., maariv, kiryat shema al ha mita, but not all of it.
try to do daily tehillim...

Plonis

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 2:40 am
At this stage, abbreviated shacharis (increases as the kids at home get older - right now full brachos, mah tovu, adon olam, akeida, ashreinu, shema, korban tomid, ketores, sheyibaneh, baruch she'amar, ashrei, sometimes a short haleluka, a sentence or two from az yashir, yishtabach, kadosh kadosh, lakel baruch, shema all the way through to end of shmoneh esrei, a line or two from shir shel yom, ein kelokeinu, and either aleinu or just al tirah and sheish zechiros. Basically what the kids can sing along to).

G-d willing I'll get back to mincha and maariv sometime soon!

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 5:37 am
mimivan wrote:

What does this mean?

I feel I have such a long day for myself, it's only fair to give a few hours for the Rebono Shel Olam. So I daven daily the full Shachris (including karbonos but no tachnun), full mincha (including karbonos) and tehillim. Shabbos night, Yomim Tovim at night and Motzei Yom Kippur I daven maariv too. Krias Shema Al Hamita is from 'hareini mochel' everything, all the kapitlach from 'vihi noam' until after 'adon olam' and then the first 4 kapitlach tehillim.

kalsee

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 5:54 am
I have a commute , so that is great for shacharis and mincha (unless I'm falling asleep).
tehillim I say for specific poeple so I can't skip it!

Maariv on Friday night usually.

mimivan

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 7:04 am
In Chabad, the Alter Rebbe paskened that we are allowed to eat a bit of mezonos before shachris if we say the morning brachos and then say shema...then we eat a bit of mezonos (I.e or fruit or coffee but not hamotzi) and learn some chassidus (like the Tanya of the day) and then daven Shachris...the idea is that a person shouldn't be thinking about food while davening and learning chassidus can put someone in the right frame of mind for prayer..

Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
mimivan wrote:

What does this mean?

I feel I have such a long day for myself, it's only fair to give a few hours for the Rebono Shel Olam. So I daven daily the full Shachris (including karbonos but no tachnun), full mincha (including karbonos) and tehillim. Shabbos night, Yomim Tovim at night and Motzei Yom Kippur I daven maariv too. Krias Shema Al Hamita is from 'hareini mochel' everything, all the kapitlach from 'vihi noam' until after 'adon olam' and then the first 4 kapitlach tehillim.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 7:17 am
Mimivan and Plonis, yours sounds like a long Shacharis compared to mine. But I don't mean to compare in order to compete. I just find it interesting what every woman worked out for herself.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 7:34 am
mimivan wrote:
In Chabad, the Alter Rebbe paskened that we are allowed to eat a bit of mezonos before shachris if we say the morning brachos and then say shema...then we eat a bit of mezonos (I.e or fruit or coffee but not hamotzi) and learn some chassidus (like the Tanya of the day) and then daven Shachris...the idea is that a person shouldn't be thinking about food while davening and learning chassidus can put someone in the right frame of mind for prayer..

Oh, I didn't realize that you meant in the morning before eating. That's exactly what we do besides the learning of chassidus. Even as young children we would say the Brochos and Kriyas Shema every morning before eating breakfast or drinking anything. Today, I usually daven the entire Shachris before I eat or drink unless I'm hungry or thirsty when I would only say the Brochos and Kriyas Shema beforehand and daven Shachris afterwards.

Chani

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 11:49 am
I highly recommend getting Rabbi Nissel's sefer Rigshei Lev. In it he has a chart with the order of priority for women davening, which is different in some respects than for men. FWIW, the highest priority as he gives over in this sefer is morning brachos, first pasuk of shema (not the whole shema), bracha following shema, shemoneh esrei.

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 7:52 am
Isramom8 wrote:

I am not ever so good at davening so I prefer to say a little well rather then a lot badly;
I ternd to alternate my tefilla,on one day I say the three paragraphs of Shema and Aleinu on other days I daven Shemonei Esrie and Aleinu,I also say one of the 13 Principals of Faith each day and I say one or two Tehilim daily.
I daven more on Shabbos and Yom Tov including some of Pezukei d Zimra.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 7:48 pm
Debbie wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

I am not ever so good at davening so I prefer to say a little well rather then a lot badly;
I ternd to alternate my tefilla,on one day I say the three paragraphs of Shema and Aleinu on other days I daven Shemonei Esrie and Aleinu,I also say one of the 13 Principals of Faith each day and I say one or two Tehilim daily.

There are halochos what tefillos are important to say daily. You can't just decide to say Shemonei Esra and Aleinu and skip Shema. I'm not saying that you ought to daven the entire Shachris but you should say those that are important, I.e. Birchas HaTorah until after the brochos, boruch she'omar, ashrei, yishtabach and krias shema. If you have the time and patience, you can say more.

Debbie

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 2:43 am
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
Debbie wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

There are halochos what tefillos are important to say daily. You can't just decide to say Shemonei Esra and Aleinu and skip Shema. I'm not saying that you ought to daven the entire Shachris but you should say those that are important, I.e. Birchas HaTorah until after the brochos, boruch she'omar, ashrei, yishtabach and krias shema. If you have the time and patience, you can say more.

Thank you so much;I have tried for so long to get to a stage where I'm happy with my davening and finally I've acheived that and you come along and tell me I'm doing it wrong.
For your information I have spoken to someone about it and it wasn't deemed a problem.
I do the best I can and that includes saying Birchas Ha Torah daily.
I didn't just decide to say Shemonei Esrei and miss out other parts of the davening,I decided after years of trying really hard to daven nicely and not succeeding.
You are not me and you haven't walked in my place,I'm doing the best I can and I'm sure that Hashem knows that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics