Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Room613.net is AWESOME
1  2  Next

Mommzy

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 1:38 am
Just wanted to put it out there to all the homeschool moms that my Preschoolers are taking the Early Childhood online classes with www.room613.net and they are fabulous. It is a 30 minute class 2-4 times a week and it has my kids completely captured the entire time. It covers Parshah, Alef Beis and more and it is interactive with the teacher who is also really really great.
I urge all to check it out and the prices are SO reasonable.
Good Luck!

Yulka

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 11:04 am
How old are your preschoolers?
My daughter is 2.5 and I wanted to do something with her. I looked online for something age appropriate, but couldn't find anything.

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 11:07 am
They have classes for ages 2-5 and 5-7.

Yulka

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 11:11 am
That's great! thank you. I'll definitely look into that.

4Sisters

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 9:58 pm
My 4 y/o dd is also having a ball in the classes! (Although it's a little funny that in one class we sing "Alef Bet Vet" and in the other morah's class we sing "Alef Bais Vais" Smile. Then again, that's what our life is like, too!

Yulka

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 11:38 pm
I'm very disappointed, maybe not with the class itself. My daughter doesn't like it very much, after a few minutes gets bored and walks away playing with something else. For $6 a 1/2 hour class I don't know if it's worth it for us.
I think I'm going to have to wait until she's a little older and try again.

amother

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 11:14 pm
Yulka, do you sit with your daughter during the class? How old is she?

Just curious - my daughter is also in the class and loves it, but I stay nearby to help and encourage her when needed. It can't really be a "babysitter" for a full half hour (not saying that's how you're using it, just saying you can't necessarily leave your child on her own).

Love the subject line of this thread and I agree. Very Happy

Mommzy

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 1:07 am
I agree- you need to sit their with your child and help them participate-
when Morah asks a question, ask your kid and typ ein the answer then the Morah acknowledges their answer-
my son gets so excited when she says "oh, Chaim helped his mommy today, good job chaim!" etc.

If I just left him there, he wouldnt be as engaged if I wasnt their with him-

Isramom8

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 4:54 am
I'm so curious! What exactly is taught in the Early Childhood classes (both age levels)? What is the difference between the two teachers?

Mirabelle

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 7:14 am
This sounds really interesting! We are still up in the air as to which preschool my big DD will be in next year and this sounds like great enrichment!

Is there a limit on how many kids per class?

Yulka

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
Yulka, do you sit with your daughter during the class? How old is she?

Just curious - my daughter is also in the class and loves it, but I stay nearby to help and encourage her when needed. It can't really be a "babysitter" for a full half hour (not saying that's how you're using it, just saying you can't necessarily leave your child on her own).

Love the subject line of this thread and I agree. Very Happy

I couldn't be more attentive. I sit through the whole thing trying to involve her, asking her questions, showing her things on the screen, and telling her what to answer. She's just not interested, and would rather go play. I'm sure it works for many, but not for her. Maybe she's just too young. I don't think she understands the concepts discussed in the class.
I might try again in a year or too. For now, it was wasted money. Anyway, I cancelled the class after 4 sessions.

Mommzy

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 3:32 pm
each child has their own style of learning- you do what works for yours!

the classes start with a welcome,welcoming each kid to the class by name then onto Parshah, a specific mitzvah for the week, a letter of the alef beis then an arts 'n crafts project.

I just do it twice a week with Morah Miriam, and its nice for my kids to see other kids learnign what they are learning and then we elaborate on what we learnt for the rest of the week...

its very sweet, speak to the Rabbi and ask for a trial class to see if your child enjoys it- I think its room613.net@gmail.com and his nam eis Yosef Resnik

BinahYeteirah

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 4:11 pm
Yulka wrote:
Maybe she's just too young. I don't think she understands the concepts discussed in the class.
I might try again in a year or too.

That would be my guess. It is a long time to pay attention for such a little girl. I think when kids that age are in playgroup, circle time is kept as short as possible (5 minutes or so), because lots of kids just can't sit still and pay attention any longer.

Rodent

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 8:52 am
What time zone are these based on? I thought it may be something to try for our eldest but I think they're at hideous times for our kids if this is NY based (as in 3-3.30am and 12.30-1am) - GAAAAAAH. Oh well.

Isramom8

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 3:41 pm
I guess that descrption is of the younger age group. What do the 5-7 year olds do, any reading, any Chumash?

I was told the time zone is EST (NY).

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 12:33 am
I don't know what the 5-7-year-olds do, but they have separate Chumash classes (and lots of other ones, too).

Isramom8

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 12:34 am
Chumash for kids, beginners?

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 12:41 am
Yes. I don't use it, so I am not sure of the way it's taught. They also have Navi, Halacha, Mishnah, Dikduk, and Parsha, all for kids, at different levels.

amother

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 2:02 am
Isramom, they will also add classes that people request or set up private classes - so ask for what you are interested in and see what happens.

Also for the early childhood, ask for what you are looking for and they will probably accommodate you.

Isramom8

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 6:23 am
We tried it. Interesting. A little slow moving, what with greeting the kids and talking to them and adjusting all the computer stuff till it's all in order. There isn't that much time of actual learning - like in a regular classroom, I guess!

My kids like it because it's cool but it doesn't really serve our need for enrichment. What other Torah online classes for kids are available?

Can anyone join the Chabad Shluchim online school or only Chabad kids? Do you have to register for the whole program or can you take one class?

I didn't find any other kids' classes. I only found a few online yeshiva programs.

What appropriate secular classes are online and recommended?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling