Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
How long did you use your first stroller for?
1  2  Next

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 4:00 pm
In one of the recent stroller threads someone mentioned: ...you will be using this stroller for many years so get what you like.

Well, my first (single) stroller, a graco, was stolen after about 3 kids, my first double, a maclaren broke after 3 years of constant use, the next double, a peg perego aria, is still alive but missing some important parts. I also have a peg perego single that has not lasted very well. (I would never recommend that brand for longevity) I also had a graco double someone gave me that I used for a while.

I now have a baby jogger city mini that I love and is still sturdy but the material is not aging as well as I would like it to.

So that is 6 strollers for 5 kids. Confused Although altogether I didn't spend more then a $1000 on all them (and one of them was a gift)

Even if I would have bought a top of the line $1000 single stroller I would still have needed a double at some point, so I'm not sure if would have saved money by getting a really excellent stroller first time round.

And honestly, after 10 years, I would be sick of even the cutest most expensive stroller.

And maybe if my graco hadn't been stolen I would still be using it?

fiddle

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 4:05 pm
I have a bumbleride queen B which I used for almost two years, have it away bc I use a double, which was a gift which I sold and got two free ones since then. so im on my third carriage and have been using it since july. my first double I used for a year. my third double is brand new in a box. I also have a single travel which I use all the time and its 3 years old.

so thats 500 (which were both gifts) + 300 (gift) but I sold it and made 350 and got two free.

so im in the negative with the dollars and got some more years on the carriages.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 4:05 pm
My first stroller was an Evenflo that was monstrous (& basically a piece of garbage). I used it for about a year, until I discovered Inglesina. I bought a Zippy & loved it until some airline worker killed it. I got a replacement Zippy shortly thereafter. I also bought a Mac Quest at some point for quick trips. That got run over when my second dd was about a year old. Since then the story has gotten much longer. I have several strollers & I sell them when they get to their prime (in the reselling department). Also because I get tired of them. But truth be told, I enjoy reselling. I have a thriving ebay business with my used baby stuff. It finances my future splurges.

baba

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 4:07 pm
Four years and counting. It's a bugaboo, I'm not sick of it, and technically if I wanted a change I could get a new color for most of it. It's still in perfect shape and I'm really happy with it. My girls are 2 years apart so instead of a double, the oldest has a bord to stand on when we go for long walks.

jewels

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 4:18 pm
My first was a combi which I used for a year before EL AL broke it. Then I got a Peg Perego single that I loved and Continental broke it. LOL I have no luck with airlines. I got a second Peg Perego that I used for a few years until it also got killed and then I got the Quinny Buzz which I absolutely hated! I got the Bee 2 years ago and I love it - the best stroller ever. As far as doubles I had a big double Inglesina that was so huge I could only use it when I went walking so I got a double Mclaren for traveling but I sold it a couple of years ago. I'm afraid to add that all up!! embarrassed

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 6:19 pm
baba wrote:
Four years and counting. It's a bugaboo, I'm not sick of it, and technically if I wanted a change I could get a new color for most of it. It's still in perfect shape and I'm really happy with it. My girls are 2 years apart so instead of a double, the oldest has a bord to stand on when we go for long walks.

oh I didn't mention the buggy board that I bought and never used because it was so annoying! But I'm glad it works for you - is it a board specially built for the bugaboo?

for me a proper double was essential - my first 3 were 15 months apart or so so I needed them strapped in and unable to escape.

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 6:28 pm
I'm still using my first stroller, over seven years later. I have since purchased a double stroller, but a single is still handy sometimes.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 6:49 pm
Raisin wrote:
baba wrote:

oh I didn't mention the buggy board that I bought and never used because it was so annoying! But I'm glad it works for you - is it a board specially built for the bugaboo?

for me a proper double was essential - my first 3 were 15 months apart or so so I needed them strapped in and unable to escape.

My second 2 were 19 months apart & there was no way I was getting away with a buggy board. (Not to mention that I bought my double in the summer when younger dd was 17 months, because my older dd broke her leg. It was a lifesaver.) With my first 2, I had a buggy board instead of a double. They are 4 years apart though.

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 6:52 pm
BinahYeteirah wrote:
I'm still using my first stroller, over seven years later. I have since purchased a double stroller, but a single is still handy sometimes.

I want to know what stroller it is that lasts so long.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 6:56 pm
I was wondering the same thing.

Marigold

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 7:05 pm
I have a single maclaren techno classic for 3 1/2 years and it still looks brand new. (love it)

Double maclaren twin triumph which also still looks brand new.

I baby my strollers. Silly me, I know. Smile

SivanMom

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 7:13 pm
My Inglesina Zippy is on its second kid, heavy use and still looks brand new. I don't like the stroller and sometimes wish it would break so that I could buy a new one, but in reality I'm glad it's lasted so well and I plan on using it when my third is born. It cleans like a dream, I've washed it many times already with no apparent wear on the fabric. I also have a City Mini Double, which I've been using for about 16 months. I like it, it's still sturdy, but it only really got much use in warmer months.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 7:19 pm
My graco is 3.5 years old. I used it for 1.5 years as my carriage and it went everywere (and a lot of places Gracos aren't meant to go - but it worked). Since then it has been my car carriage and doubles as my snap 'n go when I have a baby in an infant seat. And now that I have a Phil and Ted as my double it can fill in when I need to.
Graco = $60
Phil & Ted = $500 (or maybe $400, I don't remember)

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 7:20 pm
My first stroller was won in a Chinese auction for ten dollars, 3 months before my oldest was born. It was a tutonia pram that was beautiful to look at, but was huge, and had bad instructions, and even my extremely talented fixer upper husband, and very baby product happy friend, could never figure out. I used it a total of 3 times.

It took me almost 2 years, to find a chesed organization willing to take it off my hands.

My next carriage was a Kolcraft snap and go-----I loved it, and used it through 5 babies first years. It has a slightly bent wheel, but is still in working order. It was 50 bucks 9 years ago.

Then I had a graco, It had a huge basket, layed 100% flat and had a parent tray, I paid less then 100.00 It lasted through 4 kids.

When my second was born I got a double graco, It was 125. I used it for all my kids, and still use it for long trips, when my 3.5 year old cannot walk. It is nearly 8 years old.

I have a graco quattro tour, now as a single, I like it even though its heavy, it has air tires, and can fit a carseat, and has a huge basket, parent console with clock and thermometer built in, Multi position seat, AMAZING hood, and it was way less then most carriages out there, under 200.

Honestly, I love graco stuff. And they are so great to deal with, anytime something broke they replaced it free, and had fast shipping. They even replaced a car seat, that broke while I was detaching it from the snugrider. The snug rider is the one really bad product they make.

reed

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 7:28 pm
My Graco Literider is probably still alive, though we've left it in the country. It'll be 12 years old this summer, and has gone through several children (2 of mine, and my sister used it a lot too).

I used my double Maclaren most with my first two (10 years ago), then put it away and only used on special occasions (mostly going somewhere on Yom Tov) with my younger crew. It's starting a new life with my sister's kids.

I bought a Combi for my third child since it's small and light. It's great for in and out of the car. That's been through a few kids too, and is almost 6 years old. I was going to add a Jogger for walking, but never got to it...

I also used Snap-n-Go for my youngest three while they were in the infant car seats. I had to replace one, but it was on chile #5 (at least).

Between all my strollers, I only spent about $500. And each time I felt like I was splurging. I guess it's all relative. Wink

zigi

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 8:00 pm
my valco lasted for almost 6 years. it was a single with a toddler seat.

it got stolen. I got a used valco trimode with a toddler seat and I got a stroller chain.

I also have a jeep umbrella that I had for 5 years.

and a babytrend sit and stand. I had it for 3 years

queen

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 8:07 pm
my first stroller was a Inglisina Zippy - I loved it until I got my double jogger 2 years later (Baby Jogger/City Series) which pushes like a complete dream as it's a jogger. Now I can't stand using the Inglesina and I should probably sell it (!)

If I were to do it again- for single stroller would buy Baby Jogger (regular with jogging tires, not the mini which has plastic wheels)

p.s. I walk a LOT with my strollers (a lot = 3 miles daily)

Tova

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 8:17 pm
My first stroller was an Inglesina Zippy. I love it. Even after I had my second and bought the City Mini Double, the single stroller has a lot of uses around the house -

1) Baby slept/sat in it at the Shabbos table

2) Rocking baby to sleep in the house - I also have the bassinet that snaps into it

3) Good place for time out for my almost-3 year old son (I take the snack tray off; not like he is locked in there but it is a good - you can be in the room but need to stay separate until you can behave)

4) Stuffed animal/doll holder. I just pile them in and don't have to use another toy bin on them

Etc.

Neither of my strollers look like new by now, but I am hard on my strollers and enjoying them while they last and getting b"H good use from them. I will happily buy new strollers if/when I need; it is a sign of bracha!

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 8:23 pm
I got my bumbleride flyer when my son was born almost 3 years ago. I use it almost every day since then and it's in great shape! It looks brand new. (I have 2 kids but my almost 3 year old is a great walker so we use the single often.)

People writing about airlines breaking strollers are getting me nervous as I'm flying with a stroller for my first time in about 2 weeks...

chaylizi

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 8:29 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
I got my bumbleride flyer when my son was born almost 3 years ago. I use it almost every day since then and it's in great shape! It looks brand new. (I have 2 kids but my almost 3 year old is a great walker so we use the single often.)

People writing about airlines breaking strollers are getting me nervous as I'm flying with a stroller for my first time in about 2 weeks...

If it makes you feel better, Lufthansa paid for the stroller of mine that they broke. Maybe other airlines do it too. We had to submit a claim & keep sitting on their heads, but it paid off in the end.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics