Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
This clip will surprise you!
Previous  1  2

chen

Post Wed, Jun 21 2006, 1:15 pm
[quote="Friedman"] some Jewish communities try to get along with their Christian neighbors and do this by holding events together. ...That could be the reason that this choir is singing Hebrew songs.[/quote]

very likely! It is quite common for entertainers to perform something in the native language of the ethnic group that is hosting them. (Usually the hosts kvell, appreciating the gesture, regardless of how good or not-so-good a job the guest does.)

chen

Post Wed, Jun 21 2006, 1:22 pm
Actually the clip did not surprise me at all. Nonjewish groups have been singing Hava Nagila since time immemorial. Glad to see they've updated the repertoire.

Inspired

Post Wed, Jun 21 2006, 2:18 pm
[quote="baby's mom"]That is SOOOO funny! The days of Mashiach..I wonder if they know what they are singing! LOL LOL[/quote]

Of course they do. If it wasn't the days of moshiach it would still be the days of christians coopting judais, They copted our "bible" they call the old testament. They read it all the time and take some prayers and hymns from there. Why would it be suprising if they know "Psalm 118"? That's the new thing with religious christians, especially the messianic ones, learning hebrew, getting back to the jewish roots of their religion. It is sad, and scary. The missionaries use things like this to reel in ignorant jews. Sad

chen

Post Wed, Jun 21 2006, 11:43 pm
too bad the clip does not Id the choir. There happens to be an all-black jewish temple in Philly called the Temple beth-El, the choir of which sings gospel-style. ah, but would they sing in hebrew?

In any case, the clip gives too little info to pass any kind of judgment. we don't know where it was taped, who the singers are, who the audience is, what the event is, what the purpose was...nothing. There is a black hebrew singer named Joshua Nelson who claims his family has been jewish for generations. He gives concerts all over, singing Jewish songs in gospel style, but I can't tell whether it is he or a wannabe in this clip.

Last edited by chen on Thu, Jun 22 2006, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Jun 22 2006, 8:28 am
I thought that was pretty cool!

Batya

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 4:14 am
if its in a church I think it is inappropriate otherwise I don't see anything wrong with that

Ahuva

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 7:48 am
dh said that he heard of them , and heard that they are a gospel choir who did a inspirational tour (I think around the states) and sang in many diff. languages.

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 12:27 pm
some of the previous posters need to adjust their settings so that they can quote and get quote boxes!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links