Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Bathroom Reading Material?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

doodlesmom

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 1:10 am
Some of the bathroom readers are really cute and full of interesting info, and have just the right size articles, some of them are even divided in sections according to the time you're planning to spend there.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 5:01 am
I buy secondhand books to read in the bath. cheaper then magazines and more interesting. If you are careful they wont get too wet. You could always put them in a plastic bag to protect them. When I read magazines it is something like time or newsweek, consumer reports, maybe parenting, not much else. fashion magazines bore me. I like some of the articles in national geographic but not all of them.

mimivan

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 5:10 am
doodlesmom wrote:
Some of the bathroom readers are really cute and full of interesting info, and have just the right size articles, some of them are even divided in sections according to the time you're planning to spend there.

reader's digest is already a universal bathroom fave..in fact, I think that is why it was invented...because its articles are condensed onto one page.
and it's called "reader's digest" (well..the bathroom is for the post-digestion phase)..

I've seen intellectual types put Shakespeares sonnets in the bathroom...but it would bug me to read some of those romantic poems on the loo..

tanachit

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 11:48 am
Thanks but I don't think I want to relive my teenage years right now LOL . So no magazines huh? I guess I can always get a cooking magazine (as if I don't have enough cookbooks).[/quote]
Hey- you wanted kid and DH friendly-
Popular science/Popular mechanics are always fun, Cat Fancy/Dog Fancy, Horse Illustrated, Science News is a great publication- comes out 2x a month

sarahd

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 1:23 pm
I read Economist in the bathroom. In fact, that's why I subscribe, so I can have reading material for the bathroom. It's not so interesting that I would be tempted to stay longer than necessary, but not too horribly boring. It's about 90% okay AFA pictures and such.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 1:25 pm
Reader's Digest talks about Yushke.

The bathroom is not an Aibishter-free zone, you know. Who gives carte blanche to read secular material in there ?

sarahd

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 2:31 pm
Well hey, the Vilna Gaon (I think, or else another well known gadol) used to read astronomy books in the bathroom. That's blanche enough of a carte for me.

busydev

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 2:39 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

The bathroom is not an Aibishter-free zone, you know. Who gives carte blanche to read secular material in there ?

sometimes but very infrequently....
and nowadays I find there is very little meaningful articles in there at all. its just short articles about saving money and *brave* ppl that go to antartica and almost freeze to death and political stuff and health. oh and the interveiw of a famous person... I usually dont read those tho- they tend to be concieted and self absorbed....
I miss the good articles it used to have in my teenage years.

Its def not 100% kosher (what non jewish thing is nowadays), but I dont remember it ever pushing religions etc... there is very little about anti- hashem stuff in there

mimivan

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 3:21 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

CM...At least from what I recall of Reader's Digest is okay..
I used to go to the home of a shliach who had RD in his bathroom, and would cut out occasional articles that were not appropr...but they are not so common

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 3:38 pm
Some sections of the Hamodia in Hebrew and English, Mishpachah, and some puzzles, like sudoku and word puzzles.

shalhevet

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 3:39 pm
I print out Sudoku puzzles (and now I'm on to nanograms too).

I used to keep Style Manuals (editors know what I'm talking about) to swot up on - but then they weren't on the shelf above my computer when I needed to refer to them when working.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 3:41 pm
sarahd wrote:
Well hey, the Vilna Gaon (I think, or else another well known gadol) used to read astronomy books in the bathroom. That's blanche enough of a carte for me.

I heard that he did math in the bathroom.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 3:45 pm
shalhevet wrote:
I print out Sudoku puzzles (and now I'm on to nanograms too).

I used to keep Style Manuals (editors know what I'm talking about) to swot up on - but then they weren't on the shelf above my computer when I needed to refer to them when working.

Nanograms, Style Manuals in the bathroom? Oh how boring.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 3:56 pm
Astronomy is not astrology.

I have heard complaints/discussion about bathroom reading material in various frum homes; the GRA aside, I think it's a matter that requires careful thought.

mimivan

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 4:40 pm
hey, how about National Geographic...people only really look at the pictures anyway (who reads the articles in there) as long as there aren't topless African tribal women in there or pictures of idols (those can be cut out)

busydev

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 4:45 pm
mimivan wrote:
hey, how about National Geographic...people only really look at the pictures anyway (who reads the articles in there) as long as there aren't topless African tribal women in there or pictures of idols (those can be cut out)

but those sort of pictures are often found there....

ChanaRochel

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 5:39 pm
[/quote]

sometimes but very infrequently....
and nowadays I find there is very little meaningful articles in there at all. its just short articles about saving money and *brave* ppl that go to antartica and almost freeze to death and political stuff and health. oh and the interveiw of a famous person... I usually dont read those tho- they tend to be concieted and self absorbed....
I miss the good articles it used to have in my teenage years.

Its def not 100% kosher (what non jewish thing is nowadays), but I dont remember it ever pushing religions etc... there is very little about anti- hashem stuff in there[/quote]

Before we all get too overly self-righteous and too full of ourselves. the vast majority of the threads here on Imamother are entertaining, but very far from inculcationg yiras shomayim...

busydev

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 5:46 pm
im not, dont worry- I still read the readers digest... and non jewish books and other mags- not the "teen" ones but other then mishpacha etc...

and yes there is def some "racy" stuff on here!!

devoh

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 10:59 pm
readers digest

hipstamom

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 1:28 am
@ Chana Rochel No you are not the only egghead. Still, I rather read those mags outside the bathroom. I used to put Wired in the bathroom but my husband would take too long in there Rolling Eyes

My bathroom reading tends to be more along the funny, amusing, disposable lines like Radar, Rolling Stone, Better Homes and Gardens.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room