Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Names not names?
Previous  1  2

chavamom

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 4:45 am
I would add that R. Chaim isn't the final work on the matter. I don't remember the two poskim my husband spoke to, but one said "you should name something with a mesorah" and the other said (and this is a quote) "you can name your child anything you want - even if it is 'shulchan' or 'kisei'."

chavamom

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 4:47 am
shalhevet wrote:

It might mean he holds a word that is not a name in the Torah is not a name. "Table" is not a name, right?

See the above quote Wink

kalsee

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 4:55 am
Names are a big inyan in Kabbalah. But it is not halacha.

shevi82

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 3:32 am
Just had bil ask Reb Chaim Kanevsky about the name Shira.
He did not say it's not a name, he made a joke that when someone told him that dd was born Shabbos Shira and they would like to name her Shira. His answer was: "and if she was born on Shabbos Parah-would you name her parah?!
His exact answer was:" Are we missing nashim tzkanios to name after-name the baby Avigail" when my bil said :"and if they really want to name Shira?" He said "Efshar" (meaning you can)

shiradye

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 8:10 am
cinnamon wrote:
just to strengthen what shalhevet said, r' chaim told my dh personally that shira is not a name and it should be changed (he asked about a spesific person who was named shira)
BUT, he said this to my husband as a private psak and did not make this a public psak. so please don't go changing your name based on this. If you have any questions go ahead and ask either your personal LOR or r' chaim himself.

R' chaim paskens with personal circumstances in mind I know of two people who went to him to ask about the name Adina each one with a different story and a different reason to name this name. To one he said it is not a good name and he should choose a different one to the other he said it is a perfectly fine name and to go ahead and use it.

I personally know s/o that changed their name from Shira on R' Chaim's say-so. She had "circumstances."
And MY name is Shira. So should I tell my chareidi kids not to name anyone after me? Hmmm, that's a good one.

Hashems Princess

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 3:21 pm
I know a boy by the name of Tzvika (not sure if I spelt it correctly)
I havent heard about the other names, but Im very sure R Chaim knows a little more than we do, so if a person goes to him to ask him a shailah, its because they hold by him.

Tova

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:44 pm
Of course it makes a difference why R' Chaim says like he does...because if you know the reasoning you know if it applies to other names as well.

Ex. - Chaya - a word in Tanach but not a name.

Or my daughter's name - Shalva - which IMO is the most beautiful girl's name ever. It's a word in Tanach but not a name (we did ask a Rav before naming her, but it related to her 2nd name. But anyone - and that includes Rabbanim and people from all segments - who we mention the name to says it is a beautiful name. [OK - exception may be my Israeli nephew who said Uch because apparently he hates the Shalva brand of Israeli cereal.]

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:03 pm
I know plenty of people with Tzvi as their first name. What about Tzvi alone, like the Baal Shem Tov's son? Would that be ok?

And Shira and Rena are also names in the chareidi world. Are they any worse than Baila, Feivel and Fishel?

Quite a surprising thread.

imareich

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 4:13 pm
We asked a prominent rav before naming our son...his name is Zvi Elimelech (the Bnei Yissaschar) ...we call him Eli. We were told that its a perfectly acceptable name bli ayin hara..?

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 20 2010, 6:13 pm
I have a cousin named after the Bne Yissachar, but his bris name is Hersh Meilech.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names