Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
How to spell yakov
1  2  Next

sweet

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 9:52 am
how do you spell yakov, with one or two a?
Yakov or Yaakov?
on a birth certificate?

Mrs.K

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 9:54 am
My son is Yaakov.

dassybabe

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 9:55 am
first of all, its nice that ur putting his real name on the b.c., too many people make up a secular 1 nowadays, I think its yaakov, no? actually now that I write it im not sure, good question...

amother

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 9:55 am
DH is Yaakov. There's a patach under the ayin, so it has three syllables. Ya-a-kov.

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 10:04 am
I know people who spell it both ways. Unless you pronounce it Ya'akov, I don't see why it makes a difference (except for your personal preference of course.)

fiddle

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 10:12 am
DS is Yakov on his birth certificate

mommy#1

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 10:14 am
I think most ppl spell it yaakov, as s/o wrote, in hebrew its ya'akov. but you can spell it whichever way you like. I think yaakov looks better, but thats probably just because most yaakovs I know spell it like that

Hashems Princess

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 11:41 am
I think it looks nice Yaakov, but its pronounced the same.

amother

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 11:44 am
My son is Yankev. My husband put Jacob on the birth certificate. I wasn't thrilled, but what do you do?

Sherri

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 11:47 am
I mostly see Yaakov: what do YOU like?

Nuts

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 11:52 am
I thought if the name is Yaakov then why shouldn't you put Jacob on the birth certificate? It's so much more official.

Hashems Princess

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 11:54 am
amother wrote:
My son is Yankev. My husband put Jacob on the birth certificate. I wasn't thrilled, but what do you do?

destroy the BC and get it redone LOL I really like the name. Its very original, any reason for Yankev?

Sherri

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 11:57 am
Nuts wrote:
I thought if the name is Yaakov then why shouldn't you put Jacob on the birth certificate? It's so much more official.
Why is Jacob more official than Yaakov?

imabima

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 2:39 pm
My son is Yaakov.

freshie

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 2:44 pm
Hashems Princess wrote:
amother wrote:

destroy the BC and get it redone LOL I really like the name. Its very original, any reason for Yankev?

it's a dikduk reason I believe. that's where Yankel comes from. some people if you listen closely when they davan they pronounce the word Yankov.

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 2:45 pm
Hashems Princess wrote:
amother wrote:

Yankev is the yiddish pronunciation

Mommy F.

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 3:43 pm
imho spell it Yaakov with 2 a's

Rodent

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:25 pm
Yaakov. It has 3 syllables. Even if you aren't pronouncing them all they should be represented!

happy chick

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:53 pm
isnt yankev yaakov? just pronounced differently? thats what I always thought. my father pronounces it that way when he refers to yaakov avinu.
there is no right and wrong way to write a jewish name. they all originate from hebrew/yiddish. you can wirte it however you like. ds is yaakov, and seems like thats the way most write it today.
why wouldnt you write the name you were given at the torah/bris on the bc? one of the very big z'chusim for the jews in mitzraim was that they all kept their jewish names. today, all the frum guys out in the work field go by moses, sam, jake, josh. whats wrong with saying moshe, shloimy, shmully, yoel? if other ppl have an issue with it thats their problem, imho.

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:57 pm
considering that you don't see many other nationalities changing their names, I don't see why we should. I worked with a nurse whose given name was Baljinderjit. I'm sure she wouldn't have considered making it Bonnie or Barbara just to make it easier for Americans to pronounce. We nurses had no problem- we just called her Mrs Singh.

backtracking a little, all of my kids have their Jewish names on their birth certificates. My girls have their entire name (dd1 is called by both names & dd2 only has one name), but my son (who has 3 given names) has the name he is called by on his bc- he is called dovy & his bc says dov.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names