Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Siblings - matching / similar names?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:07 am
Do you feel like you need to 'match' your kids names? For example I can't imagine siblings with the names Moshe and then the next Hila or the names Chana and Dafna in the same family. Sounds weird no?

shevi82

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:19 am
I agree. I don't mean that all the names have to rhyme or mean the same. But I don't like when one kid is Shprintza Shaina and the next is Yasmin Eden.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:46 am
I know a family with names ranging from Yiddish to very Modern Hebrew. My kids are all traditional / Tanachi, but we didn't davka do that on purpose. Each name was the right name at the right time for that baby. They names are really are Min Ha Shamiyim.

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 5:27 am
My kids name all end with the same letters.
It just worked out this way.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 5:36 am
very traditional Tanachi names (chana, sara, leah etc) go with anything. I don't think it's weird to have a chana and a Maytal, or a Chana and a Shprintze. Sometimes if there is a kid with a non matching name he or she is probably named after someone.

I know a non religious family with kids names ranging from modern hebrew (say, Ayelet) to old fashioned english (actually jemima) to trendy. (eg Zak)

mamommommy

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 9:27 am
I don't think it really matters that much although it would make sense that most families have names that more or less match because the parents probably like those kinds of names. In my family, we have a few yiddish names, a few standard biblical names, and one Israeli sounding name. It just worked out that way based on who we had to name after.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 9:31 am
People name for all kinds of reasons!

Sometimes you give a modern israeli name for your first kid and then a beloved relative passes away before the birth of your next and you feel moved to give that exact name.

I don't think its right to criticize people's naming styles. I assume that most people give careful thought and consideration to the names that they give.

louche

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 9:41 am
Matching/serial names or names all beginnng with the same initials are cutesy, and I hate cutesy.

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 9:55 am
I can only say what I do. Some of our kids ended up with matching initials, mostly not deliberately, but it worked out that way because I guess we like names with that letter, and we also named after people with that letter. They don't ALL start the same. But they don't clash either. All are called with the same number of syllables, and the accent on the same syllable.

As much as I think Yiddish names are fine to give, I could never bring myself to actually give one, nor a Hungarian name my grandmother had - we chose a similar Hebrew name.

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 10:33 am
Our first 4 have similar names, they flow with one another. Our youngest, does not, but it was not done purposely either way, it just happened.

Atali

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:25 pm
We have both a Shneur and a Shaina, but we did not plan that intentionally or even think about how similar the names sounded. It just worked out that way.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:30 pm
Nowadays you can see tons of differences in the same family. You can have a mix of classic Hebrew, modern Hebrew, Yiddish, occasionally you still hear Ladino and Judeo Arabic, very occasionally Judeo Italian & Judeo Greek. Often when one child has several names, the first one is Hebrew and the less common ones come after, I notice.

Last edited by Ruchel on Mon, May 17 2010, 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:31 pm
I have a Joelle , Yael , and a yacov Hillel ....they rhyme! so next time B'H DH is picking the names Very Happy

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:32 pm
Joelle is Shlomit as Jewish name, if I remember well, so no rhyme Wink

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:48 pm
Ruchel wrote:

She hates the shlomit part so goes by Joelle or "JoJo"(yuck) but good point oh sharp minded one Wink

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:48 pm
My name is Yonit and I have a brother, Yonatan. Both of them are our second name and nobody really calls us by either one, except my mother who calls me by that name only.

I have a cousin with an Akiva, his second name, and they call him by both names and his brother's name is, Yaakov.

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:52 pm
I kow someone with 3 kids.
Duvie, Devorah, Dovie.

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:
I kow someone with 3 kids.
Duvie, Devorah, Dovie.

Duvie and Dovie aren't the same? I thought they're both Dovid.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:53 pm
shlomitsmum wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

She hates the shlomit part so goes by Joelle or "JoJo"(yuck) but good point oh sharp minded one Wink

LOL!

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:55 pm
amother wrote:

I have a cousin with an Akiva, his second name, and they call him by both names and his brother's name is, Yaakov.

I also have a Yaakov and an Akiva - they were each for a different reason (Yaakov was the parsha, Akiva because during sefira, but the truth is we did like both because they symbolized Torah) - but we didn't realize how similar they are until after we had given the names. Also I have a sister called Aviva, but I also didn't think how similar it was till I wrote it in English. We live in EY and in Hebrew they are spelled completely differently.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names