Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Siblings - matching / similar names?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 12:56 pm
yo'ma wrote:
amother wrote:
I kow someone with 3 kids.
Duvie, Devorah, Dovie.

Duvie and Dovie aren't the same? I thought they're both Dovid.

Duvie-Dovid
Dovie-Dov

I believe they are 2 different names.

I know a family where the father is Aryeh, and the son is Ari(Ahron)
They are 2 different names.

busydev

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 12:57 pm
yo'ma wrote:
amother wrote:
I kow someone with 3 kids.
Duvie, Devorah, Dovie.

Duvie and Dovie aren't the same? I thought they're both Dovid.

Dov is one name (like dov ber)
Dovid another

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 1:02 pm
I have cousins, a brother and sister, Yida and Yidis. She was born first, named after the grandfather, then he was born years later.

Barbara

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 1:04 pm
George Foreman's children are:

1. Natalie Foreman
2. Michi Foreman
3. Leona Foreman
4. Freeda George Foreman
5. George Edward Foreman Jr
6. George Edward Foreman III
7. George Edward Foreman IV
8. George Edward Foreman V
9. George Edward Foreman VI
10. Georgetta Foreman
11. Isabella Brandie Leelja (Foreman?)

I guess he likes the name George.

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 1:06 pm
I have an Elianna, but my grandmother's name is Elka, which I hope to use one day.

Think those sound too similar? Elianna and Elky?

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:26 pm
I know 2 brothers called ahron and aryeh. I know another family whose kids names are all hebrew or yiddish names of animals - Leib, Faigel, Dov, Tzvi and so on.

Last edited by Mommeeeeeeee! on Mon, May 17 2010, 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:29 pm
Barbara wrote:
George Foreman's children are:

1. Natalie Foreman
2. Michi Foreman
3. Leona Foreman
4. Freeda George Foreman
5. George Edward Foreman Jr
6. George Edward Foreman III
7. George Edward Foreman IV
8. George Edward Foreman V
9. George Edward Foreman VI
10. Georgetta Foreman
11. Isabella Brandie Leelja (Foreman?)

I guess he likes the name George.

I think he did this because he's been knocked in the head so many times, he was worried about forgetting any of his children's names. Rolling Eyes

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:30 pm
My aunt went to school with a girl named Genendel Weissmendel, and her brother was mendel Weissmendel. That kind of matching is incredibly cruel. Chana and Dafna, don't sound the same I have no issue with that at all.

OTOH naming twins Miri and Tziri, or Amrom and Avraham, or Chana and Illana, is not fair, twins get lumped together as one all too often and giving them names that are easily mixed up makes it even harder for them.

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:44 pm
I know a sibling pair, Noam and Naomi. And sibs Phillip and Phyllis.

I know twins, Avigayil and Elisheva. Those are great twin names! Same number of syllables, start with the same letter in Hebrew but not in English, both Tanachi, both beautiful. They match just enough but not too much. Similar to this would be Rachel and Michal.

Rodent

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:30 pm
I have no idea if our names match and don't really care anyway. We name for meaning, matching isn't on our radar. Though I specifically wouldn't name a kid Ze'ev when I have a Zevulun even though they're completely irrelated, just too close sounding. I wouldn't have used Avraham and Amram both as first names but my kids only go by their first name on a regular basis so that doesn't bother me so much.

I know someone with a Yehuda and a Yudis and I know numerous people with a Chaim and a Chaya. Not something that I would do but it seems reasonably accepted in their circles.

ETA - I grew up knowing twins named Welvin and Welette. Poor kids. She was as tall and wide as he was short and thin. They were so totally different but their names wouldn't allow them to be individuals Sad

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:40 pm
My dh's name is Eliezer, ds is Eli(yahu) and other ds Hillel (nicknamed Hillie by the toddler).Also, all my kids have "el" at the beginning or end of at least one of their names.
Now that I think about it, it's funny but we didn't do it on purpose. In fact I used to take pride in the fact that all my kids had different sounding names...

Barbara

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 4:18 pm
Rodent wrote:
I have no idea if our names match and don't really care anyway. We name for meaning, matching isn't on our radar. Though I specifically wouldn't name a kid Ze'ev when I have a Zevulun even though they're completely irrelated, just too close sounding. I wouldn't have used Avraham and Amram both as first names but my kids only go by their first name on a regular basis so that doesn't bother me so much.

I know someone with a Yehuda and a Yudis and I know numerous people with a Chaim and a Chaya. Not something that I would do but it seems reasonably accepted in their circles.

ETA - I grew up knowing twins named Welvin and Welette. Poor kids. She was as tall and wide as he was short and thin. They were so totally different but their names wouldn't allow them to be individuals Sad

I have a Catholic friend whose oldest sister is Mary Catherine. Then the Pope declared the Year of Mary, or some such thing, so their mother felt that she *had* to name a girl born in that year *Mary* So she's Mary Joan.

Tova

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 4:35 pm
I had a former colleague, Lauren.

Her twin sister's name was Laura.

[Their mother had all sorts of "rules" like not letting them fly in the same plane, etc. (for fear of losing them both in an accident.]

el2cg

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 4:46 pm
I know of brothers that are named yekasial yehuda and areya leib

Mirabelle

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 4:53 pm
My twins names are totally different.

I just couldn't bring myself to give them cutsey "matching" names.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 4:59 pm
Tova wrote:
I had a former colleague, Lauren.

Her twin sister's name was Laura.

[Their mother had all sorts of "rules" like not letting them fly in the same plane, etc. (for fear of losing them both in an accident.]

I know a set of boy-girl twins (now in their 60s, separate lives, families, etc.) and their names are Lois and Lewis.

My husband has a friend whose middle name is the same as his brother's first name---I forgot the name but it was something like:

Chaim Dovid and
Dovid Shlomo

I was told that the parents asked a shaila, etc. but--something I would never ever do.

smilingmom

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 5:28 pm
I have a bunch of kids with names beginning with Shin.
the only problem, is when you yell their name across the house, they all sound similar.

Also all my kids have the same nickname, pumpkin.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 5:40 pm
el2cg wrote:
I know of brothers that are named yekasial yehuda and areya leib

the names might be related (although, I can only think of Yehuda=Arye, and leib is yiddish for lion) But they are not really similar at all.

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 5:41 pm
I also know of a family where the dad and all the kids have the same letter combo, I think it's נח , in at least one of their names - like noach, nechama, nachman, menachem, and so on.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 5:56 pm
Rodent wrote:
I know numerous people with a Chaim and a Chaya.

I do. Not on purpose though. DH & I both had a great-grandmother named Chaya. That was our number one girls name. My son was named after someone who passed away very young & we were told to specifically to add the name Chaim. He's called Dovy though. Another thing that I didn't do on purpose is that each of my children has a different number of names- my oldest has 2 names, my second has only 1 name & my son has 3 names.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names