Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How would you rate your cooking?
1  2  3  Next

How would you rate your cooking?
1- take-out  
 0%  [ 1 ]
2- barely edible  
 0%  [ 0 ]
3- edible  
 4%  [ 6 ]
4- decent, good  
 20%  [ 25 ]
5- mmm' good  
 54%  [ 67 ]
6- talk of the town  
 18%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 122

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 2:03 pm
Very Happy

louche

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 6:38 pm
depends. am I in a rush? and am I on a diet?

reed

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 6:48 pm
louche wrote:
depends. am I in a rush? and am I on a diet?

True!!!

In general, I like to cook, and I like my end product to look impressive. But lately, I don't have the time (or patience) to potchka. I've become the queen of shortcuts. I love to serve a meal that looks like I've spent a lot of time, when in reality, it was simple as pie!

louche

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 7:28 pm
reed wrote:
it was simple as pie!

anyone who says that has clearly never made a pie from scratch. LOL (And the people who claim to sleep like a baby obviously don't have one!)

gold21

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 7:32 pm
my food varies between 4: decent, good and 5: mmm good. I dont cook or bake that much, we are not fans of elaborate meals, but I work hard to perfect the food that I do make. thats our style: simple but delicious.

amother

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 7:54 pm
I think in order to know how good your food is you need to compare it to others. I always thought I cooked typical for most frum families which is excellent but then when I eat at other people I always wish I was at home. I found it very suprising at first because we have so many days to practice and most of us eat supper together unlike non jews who have two really big meals a year and rarely eat a homemade dinner. But then I started to see that most people make the same things over and over and over again and barely experiment. I think that kind of ruins your creativity especially considering that if you made food like your mother made they didn't use much more than salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and paparika (unless you're sfardic of course).

myfriends715

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 8:41 pm
so I voted 6 but I do this for a living as well so its gotta be the talk of the town

life'sgreat

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 9:16 pm
amother wrote:
I think in order to know how good your food is you need to compare it to others. I always thought I cooked typical for most frum families which is excellent but then when I eat at other people I always wish I was at home. I found it very suprising at first because we have so many days to practice and most of us eat supper together unlike non jews who have two really big meals a year and rarely eat a homemade dinner. But then I started to see that most people make the same things over and over and over again and barely experiment. I think that kind of ruins your creativity especially considering that if you made food like your mother made they didn't use much more than salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and paparika (unless you're sfardic of course).

FYI: Many non jews eat as many meals together as some of us do.

I think it's normal for every one of us to like our own food. Otherwise, why would we cook the way we do?

amother

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 9:59 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
amother wrote:

FYI: Many non jews eat as many meals together as some of us do.

I think it's normal for every one of us to like our own food. Otherwise, why would we cook the way we do?

www.gallup.com/poll/10336/empt......aspx

Luv2Bake

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 9:59 pm
I think my cooking falls between decent, good and mmm' good. For the most part I cook like my mother, but I will be more adventurous with spices and will experiment (my mother doesn't have diners that like to try new things). If I had to pick between my food and my mother's, my cooking is better. However, I find that although my mother mostly uses salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika, her cooking has more flavour than my MIL's cooking with a variety of other spices.

prettyone

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 10:08 pm
my food is very simple and very yummy. im not into fancy things rather I go for taste

flowerpower

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 10:15 pm
I would rate mine as a four and a half.

Myfriends-what do you do exactly?

RachelEve14

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 1:47 am
I checked 4, but I think I'm really a 4.5. I cook well, but mostly simple, good food. I don't cook fancy or patchke. People who come to eat always ask for more and recipes, so I guess I'm doing something right Very Happy

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 7:44 am
With the school-age kids in yeshiva and husbands learning in kollel, I won't be surprised if many frum families eat together as a family during the week less than non-jewish families. But sure, we more than compensate with shabbat and yomtov.

The survey reminded me of my DD who started "rating" the meals out of 10. Just over yesterday, mac-and-cheese got 7 out of 10 because I put too much cheese relative to pasta. And chicken soup on shabbat scored 9.5 out of 10 because it hit the right spot (the missing 0.5 being I put onions and garlic which was still visible in the soup).

I like my food and guests seem to enjoy, but no idea how it compares to others. You're more than happy to come as an undercover guests just like Michelin guides do.

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 7:51 am
I hesitate to respond because of the many people who have told me how much they cook/cook well/like to cook, and I haven't found much of their food to be that great, appetizing or appealing. So if I said I think I'm a pretty good cook, it could be the rest of the world would disagree.
I think the best cooks are the matter-of-fact ones who know how to put a good, simple (read: kids will eat it) meal together.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 7:51 am
Oh, yo'ma, I think you could have added

7- It's so good family members ask to save some for themselves later
8- It's so good guests call just to check the menu in advance
9- It's better than restaurants/caters
10- Out of this world!

just to complete the scoring.

Agree taste/food is a very personal and subjective issue.

exhausted

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:02 am
I voted 5 because I think its delicious and most of my kids and guest do too, but I always think there are others out there that do it better, fancier, more creative.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:23 am
exhausted wrote:
I voted 5 because I think its delicious and most of my kids and guest do too, but I always think there are others out there that do it better, fancier, more creative.
Fancier and more creative doesn't make it good.

exhausted

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:28 am
You're right! So I guess I think my food is pretty good and everyone else thinks so too!

amother

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:32 am
So many great cooks. Where are all the so so and downright yuck ones I have eaten by?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen