Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How would you rate your cooking?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

How would you rate your cooking?
1- take-out  
 0%  [ 1 ]
2- barely edible  
 0%  [ 0 ]
3- edible  
 4%  [ 6 ]
4- decent, good  
 20%  [ 25 ]
5- mmm' good  
 54%  [ 67 ]
6- talk of the town  
 18%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 122

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 9:07 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Oh, yo'ma, I think you could have added

7- It's so good family members ask to save some for themselves later
8- It's so good guests call just to check the menu in advance
9- It's better than restaurants/caters
10- Out of this world!

just to complete the scoring.

Agree taste/food is a very personal and subjective issue.

The question was, how do you rate your cooking, not how other people see it. The ratings are also not to be taken literal, use your imagination what the numbers represent to you.

Seraph

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 9:41 am
I'd say a 6 (or a 7 even though its not on the list) when I try. I sometimes throw things together that are a bit bleh, but thats usually when I'm working with minimal ingredients. When I try, my food comes out so delicious and superb that it really is the talk of the town. Though I do sometimes cook too exotic for people's liking- if I cook knowing my audience in advance, the food is a better hit. I've only gotten bleh reviews when I cooked exotic stuff not knowing that my audience wasn't into exotic. Those that like exotic have always liked my exotic, and when I cook more traditional, EVERYONE likes it.
People have asked me to make a cookbook. So I guess yea, talk of the town.

OldYoung

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 9:50 am
Tamiri wrote:
I hesitate to respond because of the many people who have told me how much they cook/cook well/like to cook, and I haven't found much of their food to be that great, appetizing or appealing. So if I said I think I'm a pretty good cook, it could be the rest of the world would disagree.
I think the best cooks are the matter-of-fact ones who know how to put a good, simple (read: kids will eat it) meal together.

My thoughts, exactly!

I do make mean cream cheese sandwiches, ask my kids! Wink

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 9:58 am
amother wrote:
So many great cooks. Where are all the so so and downright yuck ones I have eaten by?
Read what I wrote Confused

reed

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 1:11 pm
louche wrote:
reed wrote:
it was simple as pie!

anyone who says that has clearly never made a pie from scratch. LOL (And the people who claim to sleep like a baby obviously don't have one!)

You've got a point! LOL While I have made pies from scratch when I was in the potchka mood, I don't do it often. I use shortcuts for pies too, like (almost) everything else.

louche

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 1:37 pm
life'sgreat wrote:

I think it's normal for every one of us to like our own food. Otherwise, why would we cook the way we do?

Two words: Convenience. Ok, that was one word. Would I not like to have the time, money and leisure to cook out of the "Golden Patchkerei Yechi haRoshem Cookbook"? But of course. And I will, just as soon as I retire from work; marry offf my kids; buy a food processor, Magic Mill, tagine, wok, and tandoor; and remodel my kitchen.

My food is fine, but it always tastes better when someone else makes it. That's because food isn't just food, it's an experience: Much enhanced when someone else is doing the schvartze arbet.

louche

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
So many great cooks. Where are all the so so and downright yuck ones I have eaten by?

In the kitchen, eating the good stuff reserved for kitchen staff.

hipstamom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 4:06 pm
I put my cooking at a 3. It tastes good. I don't burn anything. I cook simply during the week. I cook a little fancier during shabbos. I want to stretch my cooking skills and get more creative. Hubster and I like the way my food tastes.

ITA with using children as a benchmark. My child hates my cooking. I thought it was just me until he saw him refusing other people's cooking as well. So either these other people are so-so cooks too or it's just him. So I decided to teach him how to cook. Maybe he IS a better cook Tongue Out

sarachana

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 6:26 pm
I voted 6, and my food is the talk of the town! BUT, the prob is that everyone ALWAYS expects good food and that can put me over the heat at times! waaaaaaay to much pressure. Also, I cook from scratch and use all natural ingredients, no fake stuff so my food has incredibly good taste and quality.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 7:05 pm
louche wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

I think it's normal for every one of us to like our own food. Otherwise, why would we cook the way we do?

Two words: Convenience. Ok, that was one word. Would I not like to have the time, money and leisure to cook out of the "Golden Patchkerei Yechi haRoshem Cookbook"? But of course. And I will, just as soon as I retire from work; marry offf my kids; buy a food processor, Magic Mill, tagine, wok, and tandoor; and remodel my kitchen.

My food is fine, but it always tastes better when someone else makes it. That's because food isn't just food, it's an experience: Much enhanced when someone else is doing the schvartze arbet.

I don't think one needs to patchke to get good tasting food. The right mix of spices can make any mediocre dish divine.

OldYoung

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:59 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
louche wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

I don't think one needs to patchke to get good tasting food. The right mix of spices can make any mediocre dish divine.

What do they say about young Jewish women? Can't cook to save their lives, just know how to make all the right sauces!

Merrymom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 9:55 pm
I disagree about if your kids like your food then you're a good cook. I can make a fabulous mac n cheese, hot dogs, tacos, straight from the box fish sticks etc. and my kids would be in heaven. I consider all of it horrible foods and I only serve it because I have pity on most of them that haven't yet developed more exotic tastes. For Shabbos and Yomim Tovim however, it's just too bad, they can live on challah and watermelon, I serve all the foods that adults like and since I usually have alot of company they help us finish it off. I never get any complaints except from the kids of course.

amother

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 10:38 pm
I guess it all depends on taste. I used to think my mother was a good cook until my brothers (I have no sisters) married wives who barely touch my mothers food. Crying

life'sgreat

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 11:11 pm
amother wrote:
I guess it all depends on taste. I used to think my mother was a good cook until my brothers (I have no sisters) married wives who barely touch my mothers food. Crying
That is not an indication that your mother doesn't cook well. It's possible that coming from different backgrounds (not sure if that's the case) or from a different country, they have a hard time with the change.

My mother in law cooks really well, but I don't like her food. I'm not used to eating the type of food she cooks, even if the food is delicious.

yummydd

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 11:50 pm
I love to cook and cook pretty great, I have gotten comments from people saying I heard from so and so you cook delicious and gourmet food. My family are all great cooks, my mothers food was always raved about.

nylon

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 11:57 pm
Between decent and mmm. My baked goods and desserts are really good (I get asked to bring them, anyway), my main dishes good, and my vegetables are the weak spot. Except for potatoes which I can cook 20 ways with my eyes shut.

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 12:12 am
life'sgreat wrote:
amother wrote:
That is not an indication that your mother doesn't cook well. It's possible that coming from different backgrounds (not sure if that's the case) or from a different country, they have a hard time with the change.

My mother in law cooks really well, but I don't like her food. I'm not used to eating the type of food she cooks, even if the food is delicious.

I agree. My mil is a superb cook. She learned all the traditional recipes of her husband's culture (he is Tunisian; she is not) and she makes them better than his family. She truly is the talk of the town. And yet, I dislike her food; I just don't like couscous, etc.
As for my cooking, it's decent. I bake better than I cook. I have a list of stand-bys, I make them pretty well, guests always help themselves to seconds and thirds, so I guess it's fine - but certainly nothing to write home about. My husband also cooks (especially for Shabbat) - I think he's better than me (how can you not be, with a mom like that?)
I disagree with the kids being a measuring stick of your cooking finesse. I know how to make the best meals when my kids bring their friends over (about twice a week) - pasta (kids' choice with or without sauce), french fries (or chips, depending on your dialect), schnitzel tivol or hot dogs, some veggies cut up SEPARATELY - cucumbers and tomatoes on different plates. The kids love it. Does this make me a gourmet chef? Unfortunately, not...

Tamiri

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 3:23 am
Tablepoetry wrote:

I agree. My mil is a superb cook. She learned all the traditional recipes of her husband's culture (he is Tunisian; she is not) and she makes them better than his family. She truly is the talk of the town. And yet, I dislike her food; I just don't like couscous, etc.
If that was my MIL I would have thought I had died and gone to heaven!

MrsDash

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 3:36 am
I surprised myself last week when preparing to make a broccoli kugel (for the first time in a couple years...) and could not find a recipe. So I decided to wing it, and boy was it delicious! (Hubby and I scarfed down the entire 9 X 13 pan!) Very Happy

joy613

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 3:39 am
I'd give myself a 6. We all love my food.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen