Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
How do you prefer sleepover guests leave the beds
1  2  Next

What do you prefer guests do with the beds before they leave?
Strip the linens off the beds  
 58%  [ 51 ]
Make the beds  
 41%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 87

mamommommy

Post Sat, May 29 2010, 10:16 pm
see poll

amother

Post Sat, May 29 2010, 10:19 pm
I would rather they make the beds or at least straighten them up. I am not always ready to wash the linens, especially right after Shabbos. This way, the room is left neat and tidy until I can get to it, rather than having a bunch of linens in a pile.

dora

Post Sat, May 29 2010, 10:34 pm
Same here, I will do it when when I'm ready.

life'sgreat

Post Sat, May 29 2010, 10:42 pm
Make the beds. I like to changing the bedding right before I get guests, and then it smells really fresh as opposed to it being on the bed for a while already.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 12:05 am
Strip the beds. It saves me the hassle of doing it myself. It doesn't matter if I won't get to that pile of particular laundry for another day or two; I prefer to have the dirty linen waiting in my hamper than all made up on the beds.
I always give the guests fresh linen. When the guests leave, and the beds are stripped, I put new sheets on the bed so we can use it (the kids sometimes sit on the bed, I fold laundry there, etc). The day new guests arrive, I take those sheets off and put on fresh linen. In other words, I wouldn't keep the old linen on till new guests are arrived, as it seems some do.

B"H

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 12:31 am
strip the bed please!
well, my situation is a little different- my "guest bed" is a pull-out sofa bed. when I have guests (mostly relatives) they graciously make the bed when they leave and fold it away with all the linens on. so then I have to undo the whole couch to get to the dirty linens!! Mad I'd much rather have dirty linens sitting in the laundry for a couple of days...

Marion

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 1:10 am
Strip, but FOLD THE SHEETS! I don't have space in my hamper for multiple sets of sheets; if they're folded I can store them elsewhere until they get washed.

anonymom

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 2:20 am
Marion wrote:
Strip, but FOLD THE SHEETS! I don't have space in my hamper for multiple sets of sheets; if they're folded I can store them elsewhere until they get washed.

Fold used sheets? What if you get them confused with clean ones?

I once had a guest who folded the used sheets perfectly. I thought she was a wonderful person, but I found it amusing that someone would fold used sheets. However, the week before or after I had the opposite extreme of a guest. They left the beds unmade with garbage all over the room.

ClaRivka

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 2:29 am
I prefer the sheets and pillow cases to b off the bed and in a pile on the bed so I dont have to do it but whtvr way they leave them is fine, im glad to have been able to do the mitzvah!

yummydd

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 2:29 am
I always used to strip the beds as thats how I would love to have my guests do, but I was told its not proper...

Isramom8

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 3:25 am
Strip, fold blankets, bring used linen to laundry room (best).
But anything is okay, short of leaving a mess.
And please don't leave things behind - we don't want to throw it out but then never know what to do with it. And all our guests end up saying it's not theirs. Clothes, medicine, books, food...

lizard8

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 3:58 am
I rather them just make the beds, because I like to put on freshly laundered linen before a guest arrives.

Sherri

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 5:48 am
I prefer them to ask, and depends on what my plans are for that particular bedroom, I will tell them what's easier for me. When I am a guest, I usually say, "I am about to strip the beds. Would you rather me leave it?" I try to make the default that I will do the work, so they won't feel bad about me stripping it.

I remember they had this discussion years ago in the Yated- Letters to the Editor, some people were embarrassed when the linen was stripped without them being asked because of the condition of the stuff underneath, or it created more of a mess... So I thought of asking.

MiamiMommy

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 7:17 am
I like guests to make the beds. I wash the sheets right before the next guests come, not when the old guests leave. I like the sheets to be fresh for the new guests- why wash them twice?

Liba

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 7:27 am
I am generally happy to have the guests strip their beds.

I don't make the beds, just cover them with bedspreads, until the next set of guests are due.

amother

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 7:28 am
lizard8 wrote:
I rather them just make the beds, because I like to put on freshly laundered linen before a guest arrives.

So if you have a guest every month, the old used linen sits for a month on your beds? I would be uncomfortable with that, particularly since you never know what was done on that linen.

Ani

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 4:43 am
yummydd wrote:
I always used to strip the beds as thats how I would love to have my guests do, but I was told its not proper...

The beds we usually get as guests are the sofa types that roll out from one another. I assume that these type of beds are not usually left all made up when there are no guests, so I always strip and roughly fold the sheets, roll beds in one, leaving the sheets, the pillows and quilts in one neat pile on top of the bed. I'm wondering, why is that 'not proper'?

Anyhow, it is very interesting what others are saying here, I would've never thought that... Next time I'll definitely ask.

ShmeinaK

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 8:36 am
I have them strip the bed and throw the stuff near the washing machine. That way they know that when they come to my house they will always have clean linen (as I ask ALL my guests to do this).

sarahd

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 8:41 am
I hate stripping beds, so I like it if guests do it. Most of my female guests do. My male guests do not.

Once my guest stripped the beds and put all the linens in the pillow cases. I found that very handy for carrying to the laundry room and leaving there till I was ready to wash.

saw50st8

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 9:00 am
anonymom wrote:
Marion wrote:

Fold used sheets? What if you get them confused with clean ones?

I once had a guest who folded the used sheets perfectly. I thought she was a wonderful person, but I found it amusing that someone would fold used sheets. However, the week before or after I had the opposite extreme of a guest. They left the beds unmade with garbage all over the room.

I need lessons how to fold sheets well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics