Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
No carbs diet
1  2  Next

ef

Post Sat, Jun 12 2010, 7:31 pm
has anyone ever tried carbs free diet? heard one can lose a lot of w8 in short time. any experience?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jun 12 2010, 9:41 pm
It's wildly unhealthy. The body needs carbs and there are some healthy ones out there.

All that protein is hard on the kidneys and a lot of veggies is hard on the stomach, too.

Tova

Post Sat, Jun 12 2010, 9:44 pm
A more balanced and maintainable option is to eat carbs but only in vegetable or whole grain form - ie - potato (white and sweet), squash (acorn, butternut), brown rice, quinoa, barley etc.

amother

Post Sat, Jun 12 2010, 11:09 pm
My doctor (MD endocrinologist) said that the low carb or no carb diet is the best diet.
We all lost lots of weight, while eating healthier foods.
No potatoes, no bananas. No sugar, no flour, no wheat.
Whole wheat or spelt products at a minimum on Shabos.
Carbs from limited fruits and vegetables, and a normal amount of protein.
Cheese, fish, eggs and meat.... at every meal.
Fats from cream, oil, and butter or mayonnaise.
Eating real food, and feeling full, without sugar, cake, or junk food.
A very healthy way of eating.
According to my doctor, anyone overweight does not need any carbs, and will certainly get enough from milk, fruits and veggies in small quantities.
Another nutritionist I went to told me not to eat altogether, unless I was actually very hungry.
And then only to eat the limited foods on his very low carb diet.
Famous doctor, from Maimonides. He said I should rather fast, than be overweight.
And I only have to lose 25-30 pounds!
He begged me to starve, but to lose it!

havefaith

Post Sat, Jun 12 2010, 11:31 pm
amother wrote:
My doctor (MD endocrinologist) said that the low carb or no carb diet is the best diet.
We all lost lots of weight, while eating healthier foods.
No potatoes, no bananas. No sugar, no flour, no wheat.
Whole wheat or spelt products at a minimum on Shabos.
Carbs from limited fruits and vegetables, and a normal amount of protein.
Cheese, fish, eggs and meat.... at every meal.
Fats from cream, oil, and butter or mayonnaise.
Eating real food, and feeling full, without sugar, cake, or junk food.
A very healthy way of eating.
According to my doctor, anyone overweight does not need any carbs, and will certainly get enough from milk, fruits and veggies in small quantities.
Another nutritionist I went to told me not to eat altogether, unless I was actually very hungry.
And then only to eat the limited foods on his very low carb diet.
Famous doctor, from Maimonides. He said I should rather fast, than be overweight.
And I only have to lose 25-30 pounds!
He begged me to starve, but to lose it!

I would worry about eating too much mayo, oil and cream since people tend to overuse it when on a low carb diet. those foods used in higher then moderation causes high cholesterol

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 12:32 am
A balanced low carb diet can really do wonders for you.

You can check out susanne somer's diet for a good plan for such a diet. I lost beautifully on that diet and never felt healthier or better than I did when I was on that diet.

ef

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 5:58 am
op- thanks for the advice. im not really overweight - just need to lose couple of pounds after giving birth. I have tried the usual exercise and being careful but need s/t more...im not limiting myself on fruits and veg (didnt even know they contan carbs!)I dont plan on doing this diet for longer than 4 weeks, but what will happen once I start eating carbs again? will I gain it all back? off course will only eat carbs in moderation and try to stick to the healthy ones, but will the w8 stay off?
also my baby is six months. can this diet affect my nursing?

Grandmama

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 8:13 am
While nursing, it is actually easier to lose weight if you eat healthy foods, and the fats daily.
Staying away from white flour, sugar, and junk food, like candy, is on every diet.
Basically the low carb or no carb diets encourage you to eat more protein, which is great for nursing, and less of the "foods" that are not really food, like kokosh cake.
So if you eat fish or eggs for breakfast, with veggies, and the same for lunch, snack on almonds or carrots, have a dinner of chicken or meat with more veggies, you will feel great, have plenty of milk, and lose weight. You can drink beer once a day, have lots of water. Eat a piece of cheesecake, made without dough and very little sugar or use truvia/stevia instead of sugar. While nursing, you can lose more while eating more. Just concentrate on having protein at each meal, and you will not be hungry.

May

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 8:25 am
I can't speak from personal experience but do know someone who did South Beach while nursing but had to stop because it severely decreased her milk supply. Personally. when I am nursing, I am so hungry I could never survive without carbs.
Generally though, I find low/no carb diets always work very well for me, but of course when you go back to regular eating it does tend to come back.

mamommommy

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 8:28 am
ef wrote:
op- thanks for the advice. im not really overweight - just need to lose couple of pounds after giving birth. I have tried the usual exercise and being careful but need s/t more...im not limiting myself on fruits and veg (didnt even know they contan carbs!)I dont plan on doing this diet for longer than 4 weeks, but what will happen once I start eating carbs again? will I gain it all back? off course will only eat carbs in moderation and try to stick to the healthy ones, but will the w8 stay off?
also my baby is six months. can this diet affect my nursing?

Maybe you should try the South Beach diet. It's not a strictly no-carb diet, although it does begin that way. It goes in three stages, and the first stage last 2 weeks during which you are not allowed any carbs. The theory behind those 2 weeks is that you need to wean your body off of its unhealthy relationship with carbs and then after that, you begin to slowly add back the healthy carbs until you are back up to the daily recommended servings, but with only the "healthy carbs". I did it and found that it really works. You also lose a ton of weight in the first two weeks (ususally between 8-13 pounds) and continue to lose a couple of pounds a week after that. It's also a great diet becasue it teaches balanced, healthy eating, and you learn to understand your body's reactions to differnt kinds of foods. I'm not sure if it's recommended during nursing (at least I don't know about stage 1) but I'm sure you can do stage 2 and 3. Try reading the South beach Diet book (you can get it from the library) or you can get info online, but the book is really an interesting book (written by a cardiologist).

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 9:50 am
Even the Crohn's diet is a "specific carb diet" (SCD), I.e. some carbs are allowed. If you just mean all starches, like potatoes, flour, rice, that's a different story.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 9:55 am
I think your body can use fiber and other stuff from whole grains. You can limit to two servings a day. Fiber one is excellent. If you eat fruits, veggies, (no potatoes, bananas, white flour, sugar.. like previous poster said) and you exercize you will loose some good weight.

bubby

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 10:16 am
I tried no carbs before the wedding & I definitely lost weight. However, after 10 days I started to feel weird... I was distracted & my ability to think, reason, & express myself started going off. I can't really explain it.

But since I gained a ton since the wedding I'm going to give it another whirl. The eat cream, butter, & oil part is Atkins & I gained weight on that (I love cream!!) So I think I'll still have veggies & fruit & just lots of protein. When? When I psyche myself up.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 10:51 am
bubby wrote:
I tried no carbs before the wedding & I definitely lost weight. However, after 10 days I started to feel weird... I was distracted & my ability to think, reason, & express myself started going off. I can't really explain it.

But since I gained a ton since the wedding I'm going to give it another whirl. The eat cream, butter, & oil part is Atkins & I gained weight on that (I love cream!!) So I think I'll still have veggies & fruit & just lots of protein. When? When I psyche myself up.

That makes sense after 10 days (although I personally don't recommend going off carbs entirely). It is withdrawal symptoms. Had you given it another month, I think you'd have felt great. It's basically a detox at the ten day mark.

KosherCook

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 11:20 am
Low carb diets are very effective for weight loss. However, since you are nursing the situation is slightly different - some people are lucky enough to lose weight very easily whilst nursing, others can not shift weight while they are nursing. Also, I found that following a low carb diet definitely affected my milk so I would not try it if your baby is nursing exclusively.

----------------------
KosherCook
www.jewishholidayrecipe.com

ef

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 12:17 pm
Op here-I'm up to day 7 with no carbs. I did have some carbs shabbos. so far my milk supply is b"h still plentiful and no withdrawel affects. Im just nervous what will happen once I stop this diet. I gess ill just slowly have to introduce whole wheat stuff. any advice on how to cook whole wheat rice?
Ill also look up the south beach diet

bubby

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 2:02 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
bubby wrote:

That makes sense after 10 days (although I personally don't recommend going off carbs entirely). It is withdrawal symptoms. Had you given it another month, I think you'd have felt great. It's basically a detox at the ten day mark.

I thought about that being the reason. I'll try to see it through next attempt. How long can I expect to feel like that? a month later seems a long time to struggle with "cretinism".

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 2:27 pm
I did no carb for six months.

Lost tons of weight. Looked great, felt great.

BUT, it was very hard to keep up!

ef

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 2:30 pm
how did u start eating carbs again? did u gain back weight?
also u did strictly zero carbs inc no fruit or veg containing carbs or just no basic carbs such as potato, wheat, rice etc..?

Mrs.K

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 2:30 pm
bubby wrote:

I thought about that being the reason. I'll try to see it through next attempt. How long can I expect to feel like that? a month later seems a long time to struggle with "cretinism".

Some people manage their entire lives.... Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise