Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Which laundry stain remover works for you?
1  2  Next

gold21

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 9:57 pm
I am looking for a stain remover that works on food stains, juice stains, etc. My toddler spills food and drinks on his shirts all the time!

lookatthegood

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 9:59 pm
Nature bright. Works almost all the time. If not, I let it soak a couple of hours. It's great bec it's color safe. Never had problem with colors running.

elf123

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 10:03 pm
I only use Zout.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 10:03 pm
The spray n wash can works well for me.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 10:04 pm
Oxy Clean. Either the spray (good for spot staining) or the powder, soaked for a day or two.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 10:22 pm
I make the clothes wet with cold water.
Spray with Zout spray. Scrub out with cleaning toothbrush.

If the stain comes out with the scrubbing, wash in machine as usual.

If it doesn't come out, prepare a basin of boiling hot water, dissolve Oxiclean or Nature Brite powder in it. Soak garment in the basin overnight. If stain in still visible, scrub out before washing as usual.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Jun 14 2010, 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

mindyme

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 10:43 pm
Depands on the stain. I like Shout spray for most things - just spray it on and wash. For any red/purple stains, like grape juice, Oxyclean is the best! Just dissolve some powder in hot water in a squeeze bottle, spray it on, and the stains literally disappear! (My husband's kittel and DS's shirts were perfect after 2 lively sedarim.) Sometimes I leave it for a while to soak in. If the Shout doesn't work, or it's a mud/chocolate stain, try wetting it with warm water, squirting on Sunlight dish detergent, and rubbing. Blood stains - always use cold water. Good luck!

SorGold

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 10:48 pm
For food or greasy stains...plain old dishwashing soap and water. Either put on stain and run under running water before washing or soak overnight. Got this trick from consumer reports and it works great. If it doesn't come out, don't dry the garment. Resoak in Tide and baking soda and rewash again.

notme

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 11:02 pm
OXI clean powder works best for what you are describing. I would soak it in cold water with the powder first if it's a bad stain.

MiamiMommy

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 11:07 pm
Resolve Max in the red spray bottle is AMAZING

pecan

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 11:09 pm
For very tough stains, I soak for 48 hours in a scoop of oximagic (from Clorox) mixed with hot water and it works better than anything else I've ever tried.

LibraMommy

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 11:14 pm
Does anyone know what gets pen marks out?

mindyme

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 11:18 pm
Rubbing alcohol. Pour some on, let it sit awhile, then use dish detergent (I like sunlight) to get out the alcohol. Wash, check before drying. It may need another treatment, esp. if it's an old stain. Hairspray with alcohol can also work in a pinch. (good advice for campers!)

Mirel

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 11:26 pm
carbona is great!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 11:48 pm
LibraMommy wrote:
Does anyone know what gets pen marks out?
Another vote for hairspray.

gold21

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 12:27 am
thanks for the responses!! is there a difference in the effectiveness of oxi spray and oxi powder?

Basimcha

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 10:24 am
My baby's most beautiful outfit was ruined with Oxi clean. I dont know what I did wrong. It was a knit outfit and I put it overnight with oxiclean in the morning the pants was stiff and it shrank to mini mini and the sweater came apart all the way---I found myself with lots of pieces Crying Rolling Eyes

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 10:27 am
Oxi clean is strong and as such, you need to know which fabrics are ok with it. I wouldn't use it on a delicate fabric (definitely not a knit). I would spray oxi clean, leave it for five minutes, max ten, and then wash it.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 10:28 am
Oh, and the difference - I use the spray for spot cleaning (one or even seven small stains) and the powder and a soak for generally dirty things (think sand, or spilled leben all over).

notme

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 10:28 am
gold21 wrote:
thanks for the responses!! is there a difference in the effectiveness of oxi spray and oxi powder?

I'm a fan of the powder personally
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry