Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Which laundry stain remover works for you?
Previous  1  2

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 10:50 am
I have found the oxi clean powder is good for soaking, if it's something that really has a lot of stains all over it and you don't want to empty a whole bottle of spray to cover every inch of the garment. But once or twice I have had it happen that after a few hours the color came off along with the stain, so be careful what you use it on. I didn't get very good results with the spray, it didn't remove a lot of the stains I had. I prefer spray n wash, both the stick and spray forms (the advantage of the stick is that you can apply it and then leave it for up to a week or until you are ready to wash the item, which makes it very effective since it works on the stain for a long time, whereas the spray is great for doing 5 minutes before you wash the item). I also like Shout Advanced Gel Spray, the one which it says on the bottle "formulated for set-in stains"...there are several versions of shout, but this is the only one I really like. A note about spray-on stain removers: some of them will just say on the bottle to spray on the stain, wait a few minutes, and then launder, but most of them will work much better if you spray, wait a minute or two, and then rub to work the spray into the fabric.
One more thing - I have had some stains that absolutely would not come out no matter what I sprayed on them, not even with soaking. One thing that did actually work on a few of them was Octagon bar soap and LOTS of elbow grease (I scrub with a toothbrush). This was a pretty time-consuming last resort that has saved a few things for me.

OheivYisrael

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 11:27 am
I use Zout, Spray & Wash , Shout, Oxiclean...
but my favorite is the bleach stick or laundry stain remover stick from Cadie (it's an obscure brand, but the local kosher supermarket usually carries it). I got it for a coworker and now she begs me to get her more when she runs out-- she said that it made her lazy. Now she doesn't use anything else.

good wifey

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 11:51 am
I find oxi clean doing the job well.

NativeMom

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 11:54 am
ZOUT or oxy clean (which I find works better if you soak the stained clothes in it before washing)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 11:55 am
life'sgreat wrote:
Oh, and the difference - I use the spray for spot cleaning (one or even seven small stains) and the powder and a soak for generally dirty things (think sand, or spilled leben all over).
I use the spray (Zout) for pretreating stains.
I use the Oxiclean powder when stain is too tough for the spray and the garment needs a good soaking and lots of help.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Jun 14 2010, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

mammele26

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 12:07 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
Oxy Clean. Either the spray (good for spot staining) or the powder, soaked for a day or two.

Oxi Clean powder only works for six hours. After that it's just a plain soak. If you want it to soak for that long with the oxi power you need to resoak it in a fresh mix of oxi and water. Although I would wash out the garment first, then try to soak again.

mammele26

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 12:13 pm
gold21 wrote:
thanks for the responses!! is there a difference in the effectiveness of oxi spray and oxi powder?

A very big difference. The powder works wonders. The spray doesn't work on most stains. Oxi has a different spray though, "Oxi Four in One" which works even on stains that Oxi powder didn't work. It REALLY takes out stains from clay, and many other things that Oxi powder (or anything else I tried) didn't work. I keep the Oxi Four in One spray for things that didn't come out with the Oxi powder. It's really worth the price.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 12:20 pm
Am I the only person who doesn't use stain remover?

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 12:27 pm
Shout works like a miracle--even for heavy grease stains.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 12:28 pm
saw50st8 wrote:

I don't know.
How clean does your laundry come out? I don't spray every article of clothing, but I spray what I know or suspect won't come out in the wash.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 12:32 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

I don't know.
How clean does your laundry come out? I don't spray every article of clothing, but I spray what I know or suspect won't come out in the wash.

My clothing comes out clean. I don't really own expensive clothing and by the time something is stained beyond repair its usually 5+ years old and I don't mind throwing it out.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 1:19 pm
In the UK napisan for whites all whites come out a fantastic bright white none of this grey shade even on older clothing.
Vanish carpet spray believe it or not works amazing on all stains on all fabrics no need for soaking.

Marigold

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 1:50 pm
Basimcha wrote:
My baby's most beautiful outfit was ruined with Oxi clean. I dont know what I did wrong. It was a knit outfit and I put it overnight with oxiclean in the morning the pants was stiff and it shrank to mini mini and the sweater came apart all the way---I found myself with lots of pieces Crying Rolling Eyes

Was it a wool? Sweatersets need to be washed on gentle cycle without too much detergents.

I use the following detergents.
Zout-for dark loads, fat stains on childrens dark clothing (I used to have a great spray from s&h solutions but they stopped making it. Sad )
shout-light colors
If the above fail I soak in nature bright and boiling water. Also, as ra_mom pointed out, make the garment wet since this prevents fading of the colors.
Murphy is also very good on tough stains, especially for baby's undershirts.

Marigold

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 1:54 pm
Personally, I like nature bright more than oxy powder. And the oxy spray I found worthless.

estibesty

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 8:24 pm
shaklee nature bright soak overnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 10:32 pm
mammele26 wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
Oxy Clean. Either the spray (good for spot staining) or the powder, soaked for a day or two.

Oxi Clean powder only works for six hours. After that it's just a plain soak. If you want it to soak for that long with the oxi power you need to resoak it in a fresh mix of oxi and water. Although I would wash out the garment first, then try to soak again.

Well, it works for me. I've tried shorter soaks 6+ hours and it was still stained. After two days I rarely, if ever, still have a stain.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 10:59 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
mammele26 wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

Well, it works for me. I've tried shorter soaks 6+ hours and it was still stained. After two days I rarely, if ever, still have a stain.
I have this too with some stains. Some stains just need more time.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry