Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Anyone heard of not eating meat during whole 3 weeks?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 10:21 pm
anyone heard of not eating meat during the whole 3 weeks?
/
what do you do if you're allergic to dairy? do you go vegetarian? do you have to?

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 10:24 pm
I have never heard of it. How many men strive to find ways of eating meat? It's so shady, siyum after siyum.

bnm

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 10:27 pm
I never heard of that, only in the 9 days. last year I got a heter to eat chicken and turkey cuz of allergies and I was nursing. I don't know yet what I'll do this year.

clowny

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 10:27 pm
Never heard of it. You dont have to eat dairy if you are allergic, it can be pareve too as long as its not meat.

bnm

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
anyone heard of not eating meat during the whole 3 weeks?
/
what do you do if you're allergic to dairy? do you go vegetarian? do you have to?

I went vegetarian when I was pregnant, its possible..... hard but possible especially if your allowed to eat fish which I couldn't do.

louche

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 11:08 pm
Nope, though it wouldn't surprise me if someone came up with this one day soon. Why not expand the restrictions we already have? why not make a syag so that people will for sure not eat meat during the nine days? Actually it's a great idea. Hot weather, meat putrefies rapidly, why not avoid it. Of course that rationale would also mean skipping dairy and fish and limiting ourselves to raw grains and fruits and vegetables, but hey, shver tzu zayn a yid, right? Kol hamagzim harei zeh meshubach.

Seriously? Sounds like someone who went to hebrew day school many, many years ago and got a little confused about the halacha.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 4:58 am
What an intelligent post, louche. Lots of leitzanus to start the 3 weeks - maybe if we realized how much of a loss the Beis Hamikdash is to us we'd feel a little differently.

Actually, there is an opinion in the SA to do this (I once met someone who follows it), but we are LESS makpid now and it isn't the usual minhag AFAIK.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 6:24 am
I know many Sephardim who don't eat meat for the 3 weeks, except on Shabbat. They don't seem particularly crazy, or trying to out-frum their neighbors.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 8:33 am
OP can have other non-dairy protein sources, including fish, eggs, beans, tofu, TVP. There's no requirement to eat dairy.

Sherri

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 8:45 am
I am curious if there is someone here on Imamother who keeps this. Show of hands?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 8:54 am
I heard of it. I don't think I know any woman doing it. Men? Maybe one or two? I'll ask dh. It's certainly not a common minhag, and is probably more like the people who fast twice a week. Not a minhag, more of a personal thing but with sources.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 9:36 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I know many Sephardim who don't eat meat for the 3 weeks, except on Shabbat. They don't seem particularly crazy, or trying to out-frum their neighbors.

Most sefardim only refrain from meat in the week of 9 AV, not the full 9 days. We also bathe/swim, Cut nails, and any other restrictions, up until the the motzai shabbat, of the week of 9 Av. meaning if 9 av is on Tuesday, we only keep restrictions starting Sunday night, Monday and Tuesday.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 9:42 am
Dh said many North Africans do that.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 9:43 am
My husband once mentioned hearing of it somewhere, however we don't do that. He actually mentioned it being a special minhag and was considering speaking to a Rav about it.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 9:54 am
I have 2 kids with Dairy allergies, I practically cry during the 9 days because feeding them is so hard. Last year I got a heter for them to eat meat, because there was NOTHING to feed them. As one cannot have beans either, and couldn't do soy either at the time. Oh and neither can have eggs, and they will not eat fish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen