Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Oven broken, only broil setting works - shabbos chicken?

SV

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 9:55 am
Is it possible to make chicken using only the broil setting? It looks like my oven is broken (the other day I had chicken in there for THREE hours on 400!! and it was basically raw) but broil works. DO you have any broiled chicken recipes I can make for shabbos? WHat about a veggie side dish? TIA

fiddle

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 9:58 am
Why not make stove top chicken?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 10:09 am
SV wrote:
Is it possible to make chicken using only the broil setting? It looks like my oven is broken (the other day I had chicken in there for THREE hours on 400!! and it was basically raw) but broil works. DO you have any broiled chicken recipes I can make for shabbos? WHat about a veggie side dish? TIA
One of our favorites growing up was broiled chicken. My mother would shmear a bit of oil on the skin then spice with salt, pepper and garlic powder plus maybe some parsley flakes and broil till done. It's like grilling. You have to be careful not to let the outside burn while the inside is still raw, so don't keep it too close to the flame.

NativeMom

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 10:14 am
Yes it is possible. This is what I do fairly often

Take 1 cut chicken sprinkle garlic and paprika on all the tops and place them skin side down on a greased broiler pan if you have one (you can use a regular 9 x 13 pan ). Put some garlic, paprika, salt and pepper on the side facing up and put them in the oven on broil. Watch them closely for about 10 min or so until the bottoms look somewhat cooked and then flip them over and broil the other side for 10-15 min or so-watching them closely because they can start to burn.

Really easy and very good.

morah

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 10:22 am
You can pan-roast a chicken on the stove. Or you could grill- it's that time of year when grilled chicken is just so nice. You could braise-also on the stove- but braising is a little heavy for the summer. If you do decide to broil, don't put the chicken too close to the flame, or the outside will burn while the inside stays raw.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 10:37 am
SV wrote:

The others answered for the chicken, as for the veggies -- broiled (grilled) veggies are great. Cut peppers, onions, zucchini, carrots, anything else you like into large slices, sprinkle with salt, pepper and basil and broil until they are lightly browned.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 12:13 pm
Lucky you!! Our oven broke, but our broiler was working until the guy came to fix it and now both don't work Exploding anger .

SV

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 1:22 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Lucky you!! Our oven broke, but our broiler was working until the guy came to fix it and now both don't work Exploding anger .

Oh no, sorry Sad

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. So you think if I put it on the bottom rack with the broil on that should be far enough from the flame to cook it inside without burning the outside?

Can I broil string beans or is that weird?

SV

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 1:23 pm
morah wrote:
You can pan-roast a chicken on the stove. Or you could grill- it's that time of year when grilled chicken is just so nice. You could braise-also on the stove- but braising is a little heavy for the summer. If you do decide to broil, don't put the chicken too close to the flame, or the outside will burn while the inside stays raw.

How do I do that? Thanks.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 1:45 pm
I made this for dinner last night:

Put some paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and parsley flakes into a bowl.

Poured in some olive oil to make a loose paste.

Smeared all over chicken pieces, including reaching under the skin, etc...

Put pieces in pan. Broiled for about 20 minutes - pricked with a fork and when juices ran clear it was done. Do not over-broil.

Served with cooked rice, which is delicious when sauced with the chicken pan drippings.

Broiled vegetables are also delicious: Slice into a 9X13 pan, 1 large eggplant, 1 zucchini, 1 yellow squash, and 1 red pepper. Top with crushed garlic, salt and pepper, dried basil, and drizzled olive oil. Broil for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to broil evenly.

These can be eaten as is, or for a delicious sandwich, spread baguettes with sour cream and mayo, and top with broiled veggies.

Hope your oven gets repaired soon!

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 5:16 pm
SV wrote:
yo'ma wrote:

Oh no, sorry Sad

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. So you think if I put it on the bottom rack with the broil on that should be far enough from the flame to cook it inside without burning the outside?

I don't know if that would work but I have a recipe for green beans cooked on the stove with a bunch of different spices if you want

SV

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 9:24 pm
lech lecha08 wrote:
SV wrote:
yo'ma wrote:

Oh no, sorry Sad

I don't know if that would work but I have a recipe for green beans cooked on the stove with a bunch of different spices if you want

Yes, please post

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:15 pm
Spicy Green Beans (it's name spicy for some reason but it really isn't)

1-1 1/2 lbs. green beans
1-2 dash garlic powder
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. minced onion
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. thyme (or allspice)
2 Tbsp. oil

Put all ingredients into a medium-sized pot. Mix well so all the green beans get the spices. Cover and cook over low heat 20 minutes or until tender.

NativeMom

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:42 pm
SV wrote:
yo'ma wrote:

Oh no, sorry Sad

yes that should be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey