Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Need kugel substitute
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 11:38 am
We are not big kugel fans.

I am not that good with orzo or pasta salads, any ideas for what I can serve with the chicken Friday night and put on the blech (plata) by day?

Thanks.

LikeMeDoes

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 12:00 pm
I rarely make kugal but either stick baby potatoes under the chicken before I roast it or make rice etc.
I don't serve this on Shabbos day, so I can't answer that part.

rivki

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 12:02 pm
burekas
asian noodle chicken salad (cold)

chen

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 1:25 pm
potato salad. NBN (no blech needed).
tabouli salad, ditto.
home fries (won't be crisp next day)
Spanish rice, fried rice and the like.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 1:31 pm
Green beans

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 2:05 pm
Any veggie instead of starch (I do like the green bean idea, especially with almonds or something in it or...)
*stir-fry some veggies
*brocolli (we like to make a mayo/mustard tartar-like sauce to serve with it)
*rice with mushrooms

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 2:48 pm
we eat so much of that stuff duyring the week, nothing "spcial"?

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 3:07 pm
It's nice to have an additional side dish as variety, oneg shabbos etc., but we never leave out the kugel. There are very deep ruchnius'dik and Kabbalah reasons for eating kugel, and it is a very strong minhag yisrael. The word kugel comes from the Hebrew word K' Igul, like a circle. (more about this later)

In "Halichos uMinhagei Shabbos Kodesh" about the minhagim of the Rebbeim, compiled by R. Michel Zeligson:

The Rebbe RaShab would eat the kugel first, before the meat or chicken. because it is "like the ring before the Nisuiin".

The Alter Rebbe said that Kugel on shabbos is like the mitzvah of Shofar on Rosh HaShana. (sicha of Shabbos Shelach 5730 par.5., sippurei Chabad vol 15 p. 231)

But don't despair, there are hundreds of different kinds of kugel for every kind of palate Tongue Out

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 3:51 pm
SaraG wrote:
we eat so much of that stuff duyring the week, nothing "spcial"?

You can prepare the veggies in a different way...seems like you aren't asking for a starch, or I would try to give ideas (variety of kugels, I make orzo salad, potatoes in chicken but not for shabbos lunch, etc.)

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 3:56 pm
I would like a starch, but not a crazy fattening one like kugel, and it's just not that popular in our house.

Except potato kugel, which we make sometimes.

If I hadn't moved and was forced to eat up everything in the big freezer, I'd have kugels from Tishre frozen still!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 4:10 pm
SaraG wrote:
I would like a starch, but not a crazy fattening one like kugel, and it's just not that popular in our house.

Except potato kugel, which we make sometimes.

If I hadn't moved and was forced to eat up everything in the big freezer, I'd have kugels from Tishre frozen still!

Would a deli roll be a side or a main dish by you?
I can't think of anything other than kugel/veggies that would be appropriate for both friday night and shabbos day, as many shabbos day sides are cold salads or whatever. But maybe I'm just not that creative.

What about garlic roasted potatoes? Is that too vochadik for you? Or a fancy rice -- like the kind that is spiced up with soup mix or comes from a box (chicken/beef flavored)?

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 4:16 pm
Scalloped potatoes are delicious, but I'm too lazy to make them.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 4:21 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
You can buy pre-sliced potatoes in cans...

Flowerchild

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 4:32 pm
I make mushrooms with cumin , vegies with chicken consomme, okra in tomato sauce, mixed potato dish or stuffed artichoke bottoms, I make these sometimes, when I am in the mood. we dont eat much kugel in my house, so its always salads, dips, vegies.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 4:36 pm
Deli roll is a main and is a big hit in our house; we have it once or twice a month.

A fancy rice would be okay I guess, since we eat plain rice so much during the week.

Flowerchild

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 4:39 pm
you can make rice with spinach, or with safron, or with pine nuts,rice with fruit, etc

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 4:51 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:
You can buy pre-sliced potatoes in cans...

That's very good to know. Thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 5:07 pm
I have tried canned potato before and it wasn't for us, but thanks for trying.

I'll look into some fancy rice dishes I gues...I just hope I don't dryit out on the plata (blech)...

red sea

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 5:16 pm
Someone I know makes a "kugel" that's really more like a vegetable, no fat or anything, I'll ask her later when she gets home for the recipe.

saute 2 big onions, add 2 very large sliced zuchinni or 6 regular sized (cucumer length-not tiny)- slice it in half lengthwise, then cut slices - add to onions & cook uncovered maybe 3 min on small gas, add a cup of choice of mixed veg or string beans cover for another 3-5 min. Remove from fire, uncover, mix in 2 eggs or 1 egg and 2 egg whites, (opt; 1 tbsp mayo) , onion powder and a tiny bit garlic powder, (salt optional), add less than 1/4 cup instant mashed potatoes, MIX, sprinkle 2 round pan bottoms with corn flake crumbs, add mixture, cover with thin layer of corn flake crumbs on top, bake uncovered 1/2 hour.

Last edited by red sea on Mon, Jul 17 2006, 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Flowerchild

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 5:40 pm
I guess my rice dishes sudgestions are boring. Crying
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes