Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Second name for Michal
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 5:06 am
I love the name Michal but Im having a hard time coming up with a second name

amother

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 5:09 am
sorry I didnt finish anyone have any ideas??

Shuly

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 5:53 am
I know a Michal Leah.
Why do you have to give a second name? Michal is beautiful by itself.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 5:55 am
Michal Ahuva came to mind for some reason.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 6:08 am
Whether to use a second name that starts with a vowel depends on initial of your surname.
If your surname is Dahan/Dershowitz/Dreyfus/Deutsch etc, you do not want to have Michal Ahuva for an obvious reason (just think the initials).

I know lots of Michals in my Israeli nephews' schools, but I think most don't use (or have?) the second name.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 6:14 am
Michal Netanya.

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 6:55 am
I know someone named Michal Shira, and I love the name!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 7:48 am
I know a few michal leahs. I think it goes so nicely

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 7:50 am
I also love the name. If you want to stay in the learning woman there, what about Michal Bruria? Wink

LondonIma

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 8:29 am
I love Michal Aliza!!

FirstTimeMommy

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 11:24 am
My sister's name is Michal Miriam ( goes by Michali) I think it flows really well.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 12:00 am
Shuly wrote:
I know a Michal Leah.
Why do you have to give a second name? Michal is beautiful by itself.

This is what I think to myself every single time I read a post asking for a 2nd name.

In fact my name happens to be Michal. My parents gave me a middle name. Actually, the middle name was after someone and Michal was the name they liked. I never use my middle name. It has no connection to my first name. What do I need a middle name for? Why give 2 names? I know it's in style. But other than that I just can't understand it. It boggles my mind why people try to think of a 2nd name just for the heck of it. Two completely unrelated names just cuz they "flow" together. In my opinion many combinations sound ridiculous (including my own name) BTW-my kids all have exactly one name each. You also have to consider how it sounds with the last name, and the future married name. And the initials. If the first and last names are very common like Moshe Cohen or Sara Goldstein, then maybe you need a middle name.

OP-I was responding to Shuly's comment more than to your post. I hope I do not offend you. You may have a perfectly good reason to look for a 2nd name. Or maybe I gave you food for thought.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 12:14 am
I have a different perspective. All of my kids have two names - some for a "reason" - named for someone - and some just because. But I think having a second name has two advantages:

1- It makes a child feel special and unique. There may be a million Leahs, but there may be only one Leah Genendel! (just a funny example off the top of my head!) Seriously, it helps to differentiate.

2- If a child prefers the middle name to the first, they can use that instead. It gives options. And even if they never use the name, it's like a special secret that identifies them as who they are - especially for girls, whose last name will change with marriage.

I guess point 2 goes back to point 1. But really, if your name is Rochel Stein and then you get married and you're Rochel Berger... so you are still Rochel... but something feels missing. There are so many Rochels! But if you're Rochel Ita Stein, and then you're Rochel Ita Berger... it just feels like you hold on to more of what distinguishes you as YOU.

Can anyone relate???

amother

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 6:48 am
amother wrote:
I have a different perspective. All of my kids have two names - some for a "reason" - named for someone - and some just because. But I think having a second name has two advantages:

1- It makes a child feel special and unique. There may be a million Leahs, but there may be only one Leah Genendel! (just a funny example off the top of my head!) Seriously, it helps to differentiate.

2- If a child prefers the middle name to the first, they can use that instead. It gives options. And even if they never use the name, it's like a special secret that identifies them as who they are - especially for girls, whose last name will change with marriage.

I guess point 2 goes back to point 1. But really, if your name is Rochel Stein and then you get married and you're Rochel Berger... so you are still Rochel... but something feels missing. There are so many Rochels! But if you're Rochel Ita Stein, and then you're Rochel Ita Berger... it just feels like you hold on to more of what distinguishes you as YOU.

I am the amother above you. I hear your point. But I still don't get giving a 2nd name "just because" It's like saying the first name is not good enough. Most of our kids have names that are not too common but not too uncommon, and in my opinion, they all sound nice. Plus our last name is not common either.

Can anyone relate???

amother

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 6:50 am
Sorry I messed up the last post by putting my comment in middle of your post right before the last line and I don't know how to fix it.

Mother5

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 7:16 am
I have 2 nieces, one Henna Michal, one Esther Michal (One goes by Esti, one by Michali!) I was going to give my daughter Michal Leah but my Rebbi didn't let me (for that particuar child - hopefully he will in the future!) I love the name Michal! Was my husband's grandmother. Where I am (chasidish) the name is not so common but I can't wait to give it.

fiddle

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 8:16 am
my cousins kids name is ora michal, and I heard someone else name their kid that. I think its beautiful together, but I would have a hard time choosing one of them if I didnt want to use both - as they are both very nice names. and I think its nicer when its mi-Chal. not meeeechal.

michal817

Post Mon, Jul 26 2010, 12:57 pm
fiddle wrote:
and I think its nicer when its mi-Chal. not meeeechal.

Thumbs Up It always bothers me when people stress the first syllable of my name instead of the second.

On the topic of second names, my middle name is Rachel (accent on the second syllable as well). I used to hate it, because I thought it sounded so silly together - miCHAL raCHEL - but I've since gotten used to it, and many people say they like the sound of it. I only go by my first name, though...

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jul 26 2010, 1:13 pm
I only have one name and I hate it. My name is Shira. No middle name, no english name....I don't like Shira too much, so I'm stuck.

Both my kids have two hebrew names and two english names for that reason.

SorGold

Post Mon, Jul 26 2010, 8:05 pm
Michal Leah came to mind. I guess its how the "Ls" flow together. Its kinda like the popular name Rochel Leah
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names