Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you won the lottery, would you still work>
1  2  Next

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 2:05 am
If you got enough money to support you year after year, would you still work? Why?

suomynona

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 2:06 am
No way!

kalsee

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 2:35 am
enough money to live comfortably (not lavish), to buy a nice size house in an area I like, to marry off my kids and help them out afterwards , etc?
I would stop working.
If it would be just enough to live off, I would probably work to save up.

sped

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 3:04 am
kalsee wrote:
enough money to live comfortably (not lavish), to buy a nice size house in an area I like, to marry off my kids and help them out afterwards , etc?
I would stop working.
If it would be just enough to live off, I would probably work to save up.

me too, though I would probably do something in my field, but very part time.

smilethere

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 7:53 am
yes, I think so, at least part time.
I would go mad being at home all day, even if I had someone else to help with the kids, laundry, food etc.

What would I do? Shop? Eat? Read? I do enough of all that already Very Happy

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 7:59 am
No. I would have a personal trainer every day and volunteer.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 8:24 am
Yes, I would. I would lose my mind sitting at home all day. But I would work very part time.

Grandmama

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 8:31 am
It would depend on my age/stage in life.
I would work, but different kinds of work. (Manage the charitable foundation I would set up.)
But even just taking care of running the household, supervising all the help, and being on top of things would probably be a full time job.
Counting money takes a long time too. So does sitting with lawyers, accountants, and financial advisers.
Deciding what to do with lots of money would probably keep me as busy as having a "job".
I would work for a while for sure, keeping my winnings a total secret from everyone.

By the way, I know of several people that are suspected lottery winners. They have not worked in years.
I also know many others that don't work, but if they ever won the lottery the money has long disappeared.

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 11:03 am
Being a SAHM can be a full-time job but I'm so not cut out for it that I think I"d still work p/time

Sherri

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 12:12 pm
Is the question about working in general, or working at one's current job?

MrsDash

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 12:49 pm
Heck no! Would be too busy traveling the world LOL

-Not to say I hate the field I'm in and pursing it further, I actually love what I do, but if I won millions or billions of dollars, I would still pursue education, but would not work another day in my life Very Happy

fruitbasket

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 12:54 pm
I would certainly not work! I would use the money to explore the world, and the spare time to engage in all my other hobbies.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 12:56 pm
I'm not sure. I think I'd need my job to feel productive, but it would be nice to know that if I ever get fired (CV"S), it wouldn't matter.

I guess I could watch one of the Real Housewives show to learn how rich people keep busy without jobs. (Although several of them do have jobs).

melbee

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 1:32 pm
I currently work in a job I enjoy, but am only doing so b/c of necessity. So I would def choose to return home again if I had the chance. I would probably take on some chesed opportunities and things out of the house to keep busy, and DH would still work so we wouldn't rely on the winnings, but I would love to be home again.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 1:37 pm
No. I would establish a home for women escaping from abusive marriages, including emotionally abusive.

I know of women who had no place to go.

The second thing I want to do is establish a supervised home with a structured work environment for the mentally ill, since there is a lack of services for this population.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 30 2015, 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

ysydmom

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 2:02 pm
I've already won the lottery Smile I have B"H a family! And yes I work and would still work if I did win the money lottery as work keeps people busy. My grandfather worked until he couldn't function anymore and it was the best thing as work keeps the mind and the body active and people land up living longer when they work, I might cut down my hours but I would still work and so would my DH.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 10 2010, 2:14 am
ok we didn't win the lottery, but DH's salary B"H B"A"H grew 10x in 2 years, so I feel like it's pretty close. I thought I would still work part time, but alas even with full time help, I stay home.

so the true answer, for me, is while my kids are little (under 3 or 4) I will stay home and after that I plan to go back to work in an entirely different field that I enjoy. my days are filled with carpool, taking care of my baby at home, working out (1-2x a week), making dinner, picking up carpool, and yes shopping, volunteering, manicures etc... when my kids will be out from 8-4 in 1st grade and on I cannot see staying home. this won't be for a while because I still plan IY"H to have a few more kids.

grace413

Post Tue, Aug 10 2010, 2:28 am
No way and my DH would also stop working. I would love to travel. DH isn't so into travel but he would love to develop his guitar playing skills and to learn.

And as somebody else said, we'd be busy managing the charitable foundation. For starters, I'd like to help out friends I have who don't own apartments (I'm talking about the over 40 crowd). Of course, they would never know that it came from me.

Then I'd build a shul for our kehillah. It would be great place with rooms for smachot, library, shiurim, kids activities.

You can see I daydream about this topic a lot.

c.c.cookie

Post Tue, Aug 10 2010, 4:13 am
I would definitely continue working part time. I'm not cut out to be a SAHM, and volunteering is not the answer - I would end up "not making it" half the time.

Chavelamomela

Post Tue, Aug 10 2010, 8:20 am
I wouldn't work FT like I do now (no choice). If I had babies, I'd definitely stay home. But once kids are in school, I'd look to be a "professional volunteer" - I always wind up getting involved in communal projects, its just my nature, so I am sure that I'd wind up doing that anyway, just more of it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics