Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you have seperate meat and milk burners?
1  2  Next

Do you have seperate burners for meat and milk?
yes  
 21%  [ 26 ]
no  
 75%  [ 91 ]
no, we're vegetarian  
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 121

Mommy F.

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 11:07 am
My parents and in laws never did.
But my brother and brother in law do.
I never learned that one has to have different burners for milchig and fleishig.
What do you do?

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 11:09 am
I don't separate because according to Star K, there's generally no need to:

Quote:
THE COOKTOP
It is customary to use all four burners of the range for dairy and meat without segregation. While the housewife who separates the burners for dairy and meat is praiseworthy, the custom not to do so is based on the assumption that whatever would spill out of the pot on to the metal grates of a gas burner or the coil of an electric burner would be burnt up by fire. If in truth the remnants of the dairy dish or the meat dish were still visible on the grate, the grates would have to be cleaned and dried from all residue of food or grease prior to the use of the opposite gender. The areas in between the burners are prone to both meat and dairy spills and splattering. It would be wise to refrain from putting food down in these areas.

These halachos apply to cast iron or porcelain covered gas burners and to electric coil, solid disk, halogen, or Ceran top electric cooktops. One should exercise extra caution with a ceramic smoothtop regarding spills between genders during cooking. If the spills occur within a 24-hour period in the same area of the cooktop, a Rav should be consulted.

http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/.....y.htm

dora

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 11:11 am
Before I had 2 sep. ovens, I did not use different burners but the inside of oven was fleishig only.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 11:59 am
My parents and in alws both do. I dont, but thats just because the basement that I am renting only has one oven. Since while cooking, naturally food will fall out of the pot and onto the stove, I consider anything that falls onto the stove treif

KAlex

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 12:35 pm
Can I just thank you for the third option (and yes, I'm the only one who's used it so far)?

For full accuracy, however, before I was married I shared with a meat eater, and we didn't have separate burners.

mamaleh

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 1:02 pm
I was told that with electric burners it's not an issue as the burners are constantly kashering themselves. With gas, however the entire grate does not get hot every time you turn it on, so it's better to have separate. We now have 2 ovens (8 burners) 2 (on one stove) are milchig, 2 (on the other) are fleishig and the 4 in the middle are basically pareve, I do put Milchig & Fleishig pots on them but only when they have pareve food in them.

That being said, I would not tell someone else who does not have separate burners that it was something they must do.

Zus

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 4:08 pm
No because we hold that it's not necessary.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 4:15 pm
Just wondering... when milk and meat... became genders?! Smile

smilingmom

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 4:27 pm
No,
and we only use one oven for both meat and dairy (with certain precautions)
We do not use tablecloths except for Shabbos and eat meat and dairy on the same table.
We use glasses interchangeably between meat and dairy.

And I won't get insulted if you don't eat by me.

imabima

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 4:49 pm
Zus wrote:
No because we hold that it's not necessary.

Ditto.

Liba

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 5:49 pm
I use my stove top (four burners) for fleishigs and have two burners for milchigs built into my milchig counter.

When I didn't have that option I spent a lot of time meticulously cleaning up every spill as it happened and throwing away any food that fell onto the stove top.

Now I put my fleishig spoon down in the middle of the fleishig stove top between stirring, wipe up spills when they are cool and I am calm and find life a little easier.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 7:38 pm
OK, maybe I should spin off. I don't know if someone can help me, give me good links etc. but I hadn't heard about designating the oven milchig or fleishig. I keep it pareve, cover with foil if making mil or fl, self cleaning as necessary. (I usually just use the oven for fleishigs for Fri. night chicken, so assuming the oven didn't get shmutzy it's been off 24 hours so is safe.) (And I don't make watery milchig; if I do I self clean or wait.)

Barbara

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 7:40 pm
smilingmom wrote:
No,
We do not use tablecloths except for Shabbos and eat meat and dairy on the same table.

What time shall be there for dinner, and can we bring dessert?

We *do* use placemats during the week, but otherwise, ditto.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 3:13 am
I use separate burners - I wish I had a separate stove. I was told it has to be clean of flaishigs to cook the milchigs- so I'm always busy cleaning the milchig side because flaishig grease often splatters. My stove is quite small - theres no space between the 2 sides.

smilethere

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 5:55 am
No. But I can't wait to move and make this massive Kitchen. 2 stoves. 2 ovens. 2 massive sinks miles away.

I can't wait. Oh I suppose I'll have to. There is one little issue ££££££££££££££££

smilingmom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 6:50 am
Barbara wrote:
smilingmom wrote:
No,

What time shall be there for dinner, and can we bring dessert?

We *do* use placemats during the week, but otherwise, ditto.

LOL, but please make sure dessert is not cholov Yisrael, as we are makpid on chalav stam.

peasachmom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 7:07 am
people how much food is falling out of your pots that you have to worry if it can be eaten. the only things that fall out are liquid from boiling over and grease splatters. btw the grates get very hot regardless of how high the flame is trust me I know. Bounce

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 8:19 am
No, never heard of it.

sky

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 9:52 am
My parents do, and my ILs have 2 ovens, so they do because of that.

I have a vent over my back 2 burners. I was told to only use pots of one type on the back burner because the steam goes up and hits the vents and can then fall back down. So my vent is meat, and my back burners are only used for meat.

However, my front burners are used for meat or milk.

Mommastuff

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 10:00 am
peasachmom wrote:
people how much food is falling out of your pots that you have to worry if it can be eaten. the only things that fall out are liquid from boiling over and grease splatters. btw the grates get very hot regardless of how high the flame is trust me I know. Bounce

Maybe I'm just a klutz, but I've been known to flip something on a pan only have missed my target(pancakes, stirfry, fried shnitzel...)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen