Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Weight loss surgery advice please
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shopaholic

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 12:28 pm
the doctors will take you for the surgery if your are 100 lbs or more oevrweight. They won't tell you to tyr & diet or excersise first. I know a 26 year old single girl who did it & looks FANTASTIC!!!! So age, babies or not have nothing to do with it. It's the option for those who can't lose weight throught diets alone.

carrot

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 1:52 pm
SaraG, I think your comments on this thread are quite insensitive. Seven probably won't tell you she's upset because it's not her style, but I think you should delete them.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:42 pm
If someone has something personal or potentially hurtful to say, please PM the comments to me, rather than posting them for all to see.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 9:04 pm
Ok Ppl, CHILL... Don't fight, I don't want to be the cause to ppl fighting on this board.

brooklyn wrote:
There are people who have other issues where diet and excercise is not enough. It is not always so cut and dry. I know someone with severe pcos, she barely eats and works out four days a week and in a years time she has lost maybe five pounds. If someone is healthy and can lose weight on their own they should thank hashem for that. For others they unfortunately have to look at other methods and we should thank hashem that other methods are now available to us.

Brooklyn, thanx for sticking up for me.
You are very on the dot with most things you said.

I have severe pcos.. I've tried dieting, I don't have energy to do exercize.. I get out of breath too quickly.

I still try to go on diet.
I'm not gonna say that I barely eat, bec. that's gonna be a big fat lie. but I do try.

They do ask you to try to lose a little bit of weight, bef. they do the surgery, and there is also a 2 day clear liquid diet before the surgery.

Momof3, the criteria (at least in cornell) is either 100 lbs overweight, or 80 lbs overweight in conjunction with other medical issues like diabetes, pcos, high cholesterol, sleep apnea...
And I think I overqualify for the surgery, I have all of these issues..

I'm also on metformin, and have been having stomach aches for about a year, then we found out I had H.Pylori, so the stomach aches was prob. from that, then I took antibiotics and tummy still hurt, then it stopped but when I went back on metformin ( I had stopped to see if THAT was the cause for it) and since I had stopped for so long, I had to start again with a low dose and when I went up, the stomach aches started again 24/7, the dr told me last week to go back down to 1000 mg. ( I had gone up from 500 mg to 1250, which was too fast, I should've gone to 750 or to 1000 first, but now the dr said she dosent think I'll ever tolerate more then 1000, I've been on 2000 before..

shayna82

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 9:15 pm
SaraG wrote:
The answer is diet and exercise. Plain & simple.

no its not plain and simple for people who have health issues that affect their weight (not saying seven is one of them, I have no idea) but its not plain and simple.

happy2beme

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 9:53 am
Quote:
If someone has something personal or potentially hurtful to say, please PM the comments to me, rather than posting them for all to see.

Quote:
SaraG wrote:
The answer is diet and exercise. Plain & simple.

oh c'mon! u could've pm-ed that instead of "posting for all to see"

Be sensitive to others not to urself.

7, ur really a tzadekes in keeping the peace

G'Luck in ur decision. I know it's hard

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 10:02 am
And what about the people - not pointing the finger at 7 - that have overeating issues?

Losing the weight doesn't take care of the underlying problem. A few days ago, the news did a whole report on how it manifested itself into alcoholism, gambling, etc.

Overeating is a can of worms. Psychological help is def. needed.

rosehill

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 7:18 pm
How much would the lapband surgery cost?
Could you pay for it out of pocket if necessary? Take a loan? Pay in installments?
Kol Hakavod for taking charge of your health, I hope everything works out well for you.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 8:33 pm
Rosehill. the surgery is 25,000, and I didn't ask but that MOST PROBABLY, does NOT include anesthesiologist, hospital stay and most other fees.. it's prob.. just the surgery...
Yes, if I find 25 ppl who are have 1000 extra dollars and are willing to pay for it, then, great...

They don't have any such options as paying slowly..

newmom

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 9:29 pm
Most hospitals have financial counseling departments. It might be something to look into. Perhaps they would be able to help you with a solution.

yoyosma

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 9:41 pm
7- I am glad to see you are doing this at Cornell, they have a great RE department (with regard to PCOS). Good luck!

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Thu, Jul 27 2006, 7:46 am
yoyosma wrote:
7- I am glad to see you are doing this at Cornell, they have a great RE department (with regard to PCOS). Good luck!

LOL Yoyo.. Thanx.. I've been using Dr. Davis for pcos..
Just havent seen him in a while bec. I'm not trying to get pg. now..
But, yes, theyre a great team and I love my dr.

HappyPurim

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 10:13 pm
seven, good luck if you get to to do it, please let me know.....
im happy for you...
c ya around...

amother

Post Fri, Aug 04 2006, 12:09 am
Hi everyone.. I hope you all feel good after the fast.. I am also quite overweight and am thinking about doing the banding. Somebody told me just this week though, that she knows of many people that gained all the wt. back after 2/3 yrs. Does this sound familiar to anyone? What was the reason for the weight gain..did they loosen the band too much? also, being that this surg. is around for not too long, I wonder what the long term side effects, if any, there are. Any exp. or responses would be appreciated! thanks so much.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Fri, Aug 04 2006, 1:08 am
Well, I work with ppl who have done it, my BIL did it, a few of my friends did it, my boss did it, over 2 yrs ago, and she's still losing, slowly, but she's not gaining back.
I've heard only good things abuot it.. with the bypass, ppl gain back quicker, lose it quicker, and lose more then with the band, but gain back quicker too.

withhumor

Post Tue, Aug 08 2006, 6:00 pm
I know two sisters (relatives of mine) that did it together. One has lost and looks like a dream, the other one is sick like a dog and cannot keep the vitamins and applesauce down. She is miserable and throws up all the time. The nausea is constant and she can only dream about eating a single crumb of food.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Aug 13 2006, 2:15 am
B"H.
B"H.
B"H.

I got approved for the surgery..

scheduled for coming friday IY"H. August 18.
I'm soo excited..

Thanks e/one for your prayers.. now we can pray that it goes smoothly, and of course that it works...

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Aug 13 2006, 4:08 am
You should ask a Rav about elective surgery on a Friday. For emergency surgery for a life threatening condition, the halacha is that Pikuach Nefesh is docheh Shabbos.

But for elective surgery it is an altogether different matter. One is not allowed to put themself into a state of Pikuach Nefesh, and then have to be mechalel shabbos after that fact.

For this reason, it is halachically questionable to do elective surgery from Wednesday and on, and certainly Friday and a Rav should be consulted.

This is something that has been spoken about by Halachic authorities.

Another very important practical reason for not doing surgery on Friday is because Shabbos and Sunday, on the weekend, the big doctors are on leave, with less experienced residents staffing the hospital. This is not the best or most ideal set of circumstances.

Seven, I hope your procedure can be scheduled for a time that gives you the most ideal circumstances. As a friend, I only wish you the best and healthiest outcome!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 13 2006, 8:47 am
Amen!

Seven, keep us posted!

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Aug 13 2006, 9:14 am
Tefila.. I have never heard of this before.. but all the ppl I know who have done it, did it on friday..
none of them had any problems.. and my dr didn't tell me a/thing about not being there.. and I'm not really worried about staff not being the best.
I don't think it's possible to reschedule at this point.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise