Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
The UNPRONOUNCABLE names
1  2  3  Next

Chava Golar

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 11:21 am
I have one: Chava
Yechezkel
Chizkiyahu

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 11:36 am
chava is only hard because of the ch. here it's no problem, but it would be spelled, java Confused .

yekusiel. my uncle always puts the pronunciation on the wrong letter.

Dev80

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 12:40 pm
Elisheva....I had one in my elementary school class and for some reason the secular teachers could NEVER get the emphasis and pronunciation right.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 12:51 pm
Yerachmiel.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 12:53 pm
Sara - never pronounced the Hebrew way.

aidelmaidel

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 12:55 pm
"Chana" in New England. Imagine "Chabad House" pronounced "Chabbot House" with the ch like as in chew and you'll understand why New Englanders can't say it.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 1:17 pm
Ochiezer.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 2:24 pm
I have a Kinneret and no one can ever say it.

SorGold

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 2:52 pm
Mordechai

MrsDash

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 2:56 pm
"Yocheved" (Can't tell you how many times I've been called, "Mr.")

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 3:21 pm
Dikla for non israelis.

Chana and chava is not so bad if you don't mind being called Hava and hanna. Our english teacher at school never got her tongue around the ch sound; so what? We all survived.

Rodent

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 3:29 pm
None of my kids' names are said right but Zevulun always stumps people, comes out reminding me of javelin. Mind you, most Jews don't say their names right either which irritates me even more.... I can deal with Immanuel being pronounced as E-MAN-yu-el but it's not right and not how we say it. Nor do we say Ze-VU-lin, it's Hebrew, emphasis on the last syllable people. But Amram does not sound like I 'am' a 'ram'... since when does that sound exist in Hebrew?

ohbaby!

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 3:45 pm
My name- Tzivi, here in Brasil they just cannot say it!!
If I say it on the phone, ill have to repeat at least 3 times, and still they will end up with: civi,silvia,cifi...
But even if I spell it they just cant do it!! They cant say to many letter in a row if there are no vowels in between. So the read it Teezeeve instead of Tzivi
How many times im waiting at a dr. ofice or to make an exam, and I see the ladies talking to each other, untill I look at them and then they show me with their hand that its my turn. Afterwards, they tell me they couldnt pronounce my name and were embaressed and afraid to make a mistake! I tell them: u r not the first and wont be the last!! ; )

mazaltov

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 5:39 pm
my DD name is Tzivi, and for heavens sake no on can get it right! So I say TZIVIA and theyre like SYLVIA??? go figure.....

girlygirl

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 5:44 pm
I LOOOOOOVE the name Kinneret!!never knew it was a popular name - so beautiful.

zigi

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 5:49 pm
bracha, michoel chanina, chaim.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 5:54 pm
I probably pronounce most of my children's classmates names wrong because we don't have the same accent.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 5:57 pm
My brother is Naftali & he gets called Natalie & Natalya all the time. He does not find it amusing. At all.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 6:00 pm
Raisin wrote:
Dikla for non israelis.

Chana and chava is not so bad if you don't mind being called Hava and hanna. Our english teacher at school never got her tongue around the ch sound; so what? We all survived.

My non Jewish science teacher got my double name (and both have a ches), but I was at the bank the other day & they pronounced the 'ch' like 'sh' resulting in a very interesting sounding name.

losingweight

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 6:39 pm
My bil's name is Gedalya. He was called Mrs. until he changed the spelling to Gedalye. My last name is very hard for non jews to pronounce esp sence it has a hard g sound in the middle.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names