Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
School Hot Lunch Program

esther malka

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 10:26 pm
I'm looking for ways to improve our current hot lunch program, I'm hoping you can help me.
How many days a week can your kids get lunch?
How often can you register for them?
Who makes the food? Who serves the food?
How much does each lunch cost?
What happens to the people who can not afford lunch? Is there a sponsorship program?
Do you know of any government funding available for such a program?
Thank you!

mamaleh

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 12:34 am
Where are you located? There is a federal lunch program available to schools. Qualifying students get reduced or free lunches. Everyone else pays a nominal fee (not very expensive). They do have guidelines that you have to follow, but it is not difficult. You might have to apply or set it up through your local BOE.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 7:46 am
When my dd went to PP a few years ago, they served lunch every day. They had an ez pass system. You put a certain amount of money on a card and every time she got lunch, it was deducted fromt the card. She got one in the beginning of the year and I gave them my cc number. They only fill it up if it was empty, I think. I mostly sent her home lunch, so I'm not sure about that part. I think they had a cook in the school and I have no idea who served it. I know there was something for people who couldn't afford lunch, but I didn't participate and just sent home lunch. My ds also went to school, but they never asked for anything. Maybe it was included in the tuition or completely government funded.

Now, we're in Argentina and the way they do it in my children's school is as follows. They just got a new cook and we either pay per month or per day. It's cheaper for the month and if you pay before the 10th, you get a 10% discount. If anyone can't afford it or doesn't want it, they can go home. You're not allowed to bring home lunch, which is the pits because I don't want to take them home and it's expensive, but what can you do?! Most of the younger grades, the kids go home for lunch.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 7:54 am
By here, you get what you pay for. If you don't want or can't afford cantina, your kid can bring his lunch from home, or go home, or buy a pack of biscuits, or whatever.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 11:29 am
Quote:
Everyone else pays a nominal fee (not very expensive).

My DD's school lunch program is $30 month for those of us who (gasp) work on the books and don't qualify. I opted to home lunch my very picky DD's who won't eat the school lunches unless it's pizza. The lunches are not that great - hot dogs, knishes, maccaroni, or sandwiches (peanut butter, cream cheese, tuna, etc..) Since the pizza is very occasionally, it doesn't pay for me to pay....so when school gets pizza I make it up to them.

My sister is paying $50 a month for lunches. That's $2.50 per lunch. I don't think that's so nominal, truth to tell, and neither does she.

farm

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 1:04 pm
Unsubsidized hot lunch in my kid's school is around $5/day... We send lunch from home. Hmmm, maybe I should mention this on the food stamp forum as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children