Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Fruit For Snack

acccdac

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 10:48 am
what fruits do you send?

how do you prepare them?

my issue is that one of my children is okay with a whole apple and the younger one likes it cut up, but then the apple gets brown and to him that is worse than it being whole.

so how do you send fruit that you know will get ruined if cut up or just shmushed in the backpack?

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 10:50 am
I send cut up apples all the time. I don't find that they get ruined. I put them in a knotted sandwich bag. it's for a morning snack though. I've also sent cut up pears but they do tend to get brown.

sarachana

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 10:51 am
drop a bit a lemon juice in the bag with the cut up apples and they will not turn brown.

Grapes, pears, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, blueberries can all be put into plastic reclosable containers

bananas are good if not over ripe.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 11:19 am
I send strawberries, melon, kiwi slices, grapes etc. in little containers. Once in a while cut up apple with a little lemon juice to prevent browning & a sprinkle of cinnamon.

imabima

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 11:29 am
If you can cut the apple and keep it in its shape with all the pieces all together still then it stays nice looking.

Mommy F.

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 1:44 pm
I think I read on this site actually that if you cut up apples and put them in alluminum foil they don't turn brown and it worked for me. I buy the Dole fruit cups, this way I don't have to spend time cutting.
Sometimes I'll send grapes in a ziplock, bluberries, strawberries or cherries in a tupperwear.
plums, peaches of nectarines in a ziplock. bananas whole. cut up melon or watermelon in a container.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children