Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Kodesh in morning or afternoon?
1  2  Next

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:26 am
For those who send to Jewish school, when does your kid have kodesh? Morning or afternoon?
Thanks!

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:29 am
Usually it's in the morning

Inspired

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:47 am
Where I grew up boys had kodesh then chol and girls had chol then kodesh. Because they had the same teachers.

Barbara

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:48 am
Because the same teachers often teach more than one class or grade, it switches off.

hannah95

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 2:00 pm
Morning and afternoon at heder.
Morning and sometimes afternoon elsewhere.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 2:01 pm
Hannah in first case no chol?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 2:05 pm
afternoon, but I would prefer if they have it in the morning

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 2:18 pm
According to R' Moshe (at least for boys), kodesh should be first, followed by chol -- it shows priority is given to kodesh curriculum.

Where I came from, in the earlier years, it switched off because of teachers, middle school years, kodesh was morning, and in high school we had some of each all interspersed throughout the day.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 2:24 pm
mornings! ( my kids learn kodesh all day anyway, but the bit of chol that my dd learns is at the end of the day). The Previous Lubavitcher Rebbe applied the verse "Reishis Arisosechem titnu l'Hashem" to mean, that the time closest to arising, when the head is clear and fresh. should be used for learning Kodesh.

achayl

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 2:27 pm
Sometimes morning, and sometimes afternoon. Due to the availability of our teachers, it
switches depending on the day. I think the boys like it that way actually.

MamaBird

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 2:36 pm
for those that have kodesh in the afternoon, when do they daven? I worked in one school where the kids who had kodesh in the afternoon would start davening with Modeh Ani after lunch.... isn't that a bit strange?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 2:38 pm
You can daven in the morning, then chol, then kodesh in the afternoon

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 3:41 pm
I asked my saba who went to yesoda hatora in Krakow. He says 4 hours of chol in the morning, in Polish, by non frum (no kippa!) Jews, and in the afternoon 3 hours of chol by frummies.

That's why I asked! I thought it was almost always in the morning by the charedim!

Btw my dd has 4 h of kodesh in the morning and 3h of chol in the afternoon. But I've seen the "big girls" (middle school) have kodesh in the afternoon. Boys with a man, girls with a woman, except before they start Mishna it's not separated.

hannah95

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 3:56 pm
Some chol, generally 3 hour a day in Middle school, up to 5 in High School. But they still learn kodesh for 5 hours anyways. Tough schedule. Check out the yeshivot like in Aix Les Bains, the kids have very long days because of the intensive kodesh and the state mandatory chol.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 4:01 pm
True, Aix les Bains is "sous contrat"... must be difficult. My dd's school isn't registered as following the "normal cursus" but it supposed to do it anyway.
My dh asks if you could pm me the name of the HS with 5 hours of kodesh a day?

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 4:05 pm
we had both at different times, depending on teacher availability. Ideally the morning is best becasue the kids are fresher. In my kids school (not frum community school) kodesh is first.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 4:35 pm
Morning.
Growing up, in the old days, grades 1 - 3 had English in the morning and the sixth graders used to go daven with the first graders. I'll bet there are a lot of people who live in that city now who would be flabbergasted to hear that their school ever did that.
But the lechatchila is morning, when the kids are fresher. I would think that having all kodesh and all general (I avoid using secular ;-) grouped together is probably better for the kids, regardless of morning or afternoon, so they don't come to think of chumash, navi, gemara, etc. as just another subject. Not knocking schools that do it, just saying that they have to be aware of this possibility and somehow work the hashkafa in.

hannah95

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 5:42 pm
Ruchel wrote:
True, Aix les Bains is "sous contrat"... must be difficult. My dd's school isn't registered as following the "normal cursus" but it supposed to do it anyway.
My dh asks if you could pm me the name of the HS with 5 hours of kodesh a day?

I'll get you the info tomorrow I can't get the name out of my head and it's too late to call my cousin now Smile

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 5:53 pm
here its chol for grades 1-3 in the morning, and kodesh in the afternoon.
Grades 4-8 have kodesh in the morning and chol in the afternoon. The first, second and third grade rabbeim are also the fifth, sixth, and eighth grade rabbeim. (fourth & seventh only teach a half day each.)

Isramom8

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 5:58 pm
In my schools in the US, it was always kodesh in the morning, absolutely. One class in my elementary school had chol in the morning because their kodesh teacher taught two rounds of classes and only got to this class at his second round of the day. That is the only exception I remember in 13 years of Jewish schooling.

But in Israel it seems to delend on the teachers' schedules. Some days a child of mine in bet sefer could have no kodesh!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics