Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I feel bad...but do I need to pay??

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Oct 07 2010, 4:05 pm
I posted this here because I couldnt think where else.

Anyway I was doing washing when I realized my machine wasnt spinning. I kept opening it, and it would start then bang and stop again! So I called my landlord and he said he will send someone to check it out its fine because its such an old machine he was expecting it!
So the guy came and I showed him that I was washing a floor mat and it wouldnt spin. So he was like oooohh thats because these machines (american top loaders) you cant wash one heavy thing it unbalances the drum and it bangs and stops. Thats what was happening so I need to wash more things with it.
I felt a bit silly but how should I know ive never used these machines before and there was no manual how to use it when I moved in!
my landlord later on called my husband and said I just want you to know it cost me $50!

usually I would pay it no problem but things are reallly tight now we still dont know how we will pay rent next week! he didnt ask for the money but he kinda hinted that because it was just a silly thing that I did its not fair he should pay.

So opinions? am I right in thinking I dont have to really pay or should I cough it up anyway?

shanie5

Post Thu, Oct 07 2010, 4:44 pm
I dont think you should have to pay. Its not like you were doing anything wrong. How were you supposed to know this fact? It is the landlords responsibility to have taken a look himself or gotten the manual to see if he could figure out the problem before calling the repair guy. Or supplied you with the manual in the first place.

Liba

Post Thu, Oct 07 2010, 5:14 pm
You should ask a rav.

If you grew up in the US using a washing machine you would have learned this. Even a European machine does not spin properly if there is just one heavy item in it. You can destroy any washing machine that way.

mominlkwd

Post Thu, Oct 07 2010, 5:26 pm
Liba wrote:
You should ask a rav.

If you grew up in the US using a washing machine you would have learned this. Even a European machine does not spin properly if there is just one heavy item in it. You can destroy any washing machine that way.

I agree it is something people usually know. I would say there is a good chance you are responsible, maybe you could ask if you could split the cost?? $25 is not that much and it might make him feel better - which only helps with a landlord.

I agree that you should ask a Rav. Tell him both sides and see what he says.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 07 2010, 8:34 pm
I work for a landlord. Sometimes these things happen. That's why rents are high, to cover such expenses. Ask your rov, gezunter heit, but if he says you don't have to pay, you shouldn't feel bad at all.

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 07 2010, 9:00 pm
Is it really common knowledge? I never knew you can break a machine like that. But I never tried it.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 07 2010, 9:22 pm
I think like every place else, no sign, you're not responsible. Logic does come to play sometimes, but in this case it's not automatic to know not to use those machines for that.

Mommastuff

Post Thu, Oct 07 2010, 9:26 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Is it really common knowledge? I never knew you can break a machine like that. But I never tried it.

Well, it's a good thing that I know now!!

OP, also, hindsight is 20/20. If it wouln't have been that, but a repair, would you have felt obligated to pay?

Liba

Post Thu, Oct 07 2010, 9:32 pm
yo'ma do you really need a sign on everything?

If there is no sign that you can't flush things besides toilet paper down the toilet and you flush a ball and the toilet has to be replaced to get it fixed, is it not your responsibility?

I don't think that the halachos of personal responsibility work that way.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 7:15 am
Liba wrote:
yo'ma do you really need a sign on everything?

If there is no sign that you can't flush things besides toilet paper down the toilet and you flush a ball and the toilet has to be replaced to get it fixed, is it not your responsibility?

I don't think that the halachos of personal responsibility work that way.

I wrote logic also comes to play. Throwing a ball down a toilet is not logical. By a lot of the toilets here (like in the hospital) it says not to throw toilet paper in the toilets shock , but I have seen signs where it says to only throw toilet paper in the garbage. A floor mat is something that could go in a machine, but I guess not all, so there should be a sign on what shouldn't go in that is logical. Canvas sneakers could be washed in a machine, but maybe not those types, so there should be a sign stating what types of things that can't go in.

Liba

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 7:23 am
It isn't that these things can't go in. One heavy thing can never go in on its own, whether it is one pillow, one bath rug, one pair of blue jeans. The machine will be off balance and unable to spin properly.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 7:35 am
Liba wrote:
It isn't that these things can't go in. One heavy thing can never go in on its own, whether it is one pillow, one bath rug, one pair of blue jeans. The machine will be off balance and unable to spin properly.

and it's not a given on all machines. I can put a rug by itself in my machine.

imabima

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 7:37 am
Liba wrote:
You should ask a rav.

Not necessarily. I grew up using a machine in the US but just never tried to wash one heavy thing. We always load it up!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry