Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Charedi Ilan?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 9:52 pm
We live in an american yeshivish neighborhood and want to name out son ilan....question is, will he be outcasted or marked as MO?
any ideas?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 8:00 am
In my world it's not rare at all, but you have to know your kehila.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 8:03 am
I know a boy named Ilan in a Chareidi community, but he is called a Chareidi nickname of his middle name.

hannah95

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 9:38 am
Ilan is considered modern where I live.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 9:41 am
Here too the name is considered modern. But I can think of plenty people who give a modern first name (especially on girls but boys too) and then one or two family names or rabbi names and look and identify with charedi (Chabad, Litvish).

amother

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 9:43 am
amother wrote:
We live in an american yeshivish neighborhood and want to name out son ilan....question is, will he be outcasted or marked as MO?
any ideas?

American as in America, or in Israel?
You have the ruach hakodesh, go for it. But maybe you should give him a middle name, or a first name so he has an option if he wants it.

I know a child with a somewhat different name, a beautiful name just not used to often, and he was given that name as the closest option to a recently departed grandfather, as another living grandfather had the same name.
BTW, within a few months of that child being named, I noticed others with that name, some from much more haimish families than his.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names