Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do caterers do to their potato kugel?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 10:49 pm
What do caterers do to their potato kugels to make them so fluffy? I really want to try to duplicate a good caterer's recipe for potato kugel.

msym

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 10:51 pm
I think they use a meat grinder to grate potatoes
I have a really good overnite kugel if you are interested

reed

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 10:58 pm
Do you mind sharing it please?

DefyGravity

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 11:00 pm
OIL.

msym

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 11:07 pm
reed wrote:
Do you mind sharing it please?

sure. I originally got this recipe from Mishpachas Family First Magazine- I modified the salt content though.
Overnight Potato Kugel
 5 lbs. Potatoes, peeled
 1 large onion
 8 eggs
 1 c. oil
 ½ c. Boiling water
 2 tsp salt (it usually needs more salt so you can try another ½ tsp.)
 1/8 tsp. black pepper

Preheat oven to 350
Grate potatoes and onion
Mix in eggs, oil, and boiling water
Season with salt and pepper
Bake in a 9x13 pan for 2 hours uncovered
After 2 hours, cover 2x with foil
Fill a roasting pan with water (don’t spill!) and place water pan on the bottom of the oven and reduce oven to 220
Bake 8 hours or overnight
(serve hot and steamy)
Yum. Enjoy!

micki

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 11:22 pm
baking powder

pumpernickle

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 11:54 pm
Caterers use a commercial spice called staywhite to keep their kugels white. (they also use it for avacado)
some even use a calcium powder.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 10:42 am
micki wrote:
baking powder

Yeah. Mine is pretty fluffy and I put baking powder in.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 10:44 am
MSG, I suspect.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 10:52 am
MSG for fluffiness? Doubtful.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 10:56 am
My mother (and grandmother) oil their pans and warm them in the oven before putting the kugel batter in. They say it makes it fluffier.

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 11:00 am
msym wrote:
I think they use a meat grinder to grate potatoes

yup - it's all in the grinder ... the texture comes out totally different if you hand grate it - use a food processor - or a meat grinder

the meat grinder makes for tiny pieces yet with full consistency - not watery

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenA.....4SGFH

DefyGravity

Sometimes I do that, and sometimes I don't, and I can never tell if it makes much of a difference. That's why I think it might be the baking powder. And the addition of oil makes it so it's crispy, but not dried out.

Ruchel

DefyGravity wrote:

For general taste and texture.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 11:02 am
a lot of eggs?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 11:03 am
Ruchel wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

I agree about "for the taste". same as so much food that is prepared commercially. Ruchel can feel it in Israel eating out so I am going to assume this "trick" hasn't caught on in France yet. Certainly it's used with a generous hand in both the U.S. and in Israel Sad

chaylizi

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 11:05 am
My tastebuds must be lacking. I rarely use MSG. I also can't stand commercial potato kugel (or basically any potato kugel that wasn't made by my mother/grandmother or myself.)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 11:11 am
Tamiri wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

I agree about "for the taste". same as so much food that is prepared commercially. Ruchel can feel it in Israel eating out so I am going to assume this "trick" hasn't caught on in France yet. Certainly it's used with a generous hand in both the U.S. and in Israel Sad

Last time I was in America I wasn't migrainous yet, but my mother seemed to have a bit more migraines, including a HUGE one after eating chicken roasted with a sauce. She was sick like never before, I had to call a neighbour.

In Israel, since I've started migraines, I'm sick every time and it seems to get worse and worse. My mom has the same thing. MSG in France is in Chinese food, in some Asian food, in fast foods and some restaurants like Pizza Hut. Our experience is that in Israel it can be anywhere even on a salad or in a bread, even in homemade food, and in huge quantities. Even when a pack doesn't say "MSG" or one of its numbers, it seems there can be a small quantity. Things are ok if I live on fruits and the simplest breads... it is extremely frustrating to be in the "everything kosher" land and struggle more than far OOT Europe. Crying

amother

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 11:41 am
chaylizi wrote:
My mother (and grandmother) oil their pans and warm them in the oven before putting the kugel batter in. They say it makes it fluffier.

It's true. Heat the oil until it sizzles, then add to potato mixture. It really makes the kugel extremely fluffy...been making it for years, TONS of compliments! Smile

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 11:46 am
amother wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

It's true. Heat the oil until it sizzles, then add to potato mixture. It really makes the kugel extremely fluffy...been making it for years, TONS of compliments! Smile

Do you think that knowing you do this will give away your identity? You're not special. TONS of people do this with their potato kugel. It's not a big secret.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen