Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can I freeze these things part 2

ora_43

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 5:32 am
First of all thanks to everyone who responded on my first "can I freeze these things" thread, I really appreciate it.

Now for part 2 - do these things freeze well:
Pancakes (cooked)
Tuna patties
French toast
Cooked beans
Cooked lentils (as lentil soup, lentil loaf, or lentil patties)
Raw potatoes, chopped up, to be used as fries or in soup
Canned mushrooms

Why I'm asking - I majorly overcooked for a Shabbat meal recently and BH was left with enough leftovers to make my life really easy this week, at least when it comes to cooking. Which was perfect, since I'm starting school, so any time I can save on any house stuff is great.

Which gave me the idea of using my freezer more in general. I usually freeze challah dough and cookie dough from week to week so that I only bake once every two weeks, and I have some frozen vegetables, but other than that I don't do much. I'd like to try cooking ahead more and see if it helps.

YoYo

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 5:38 am
Pancakes - freeze really well
cooked beans - I always soak and cook a whole packet and freeze in portion sized bags

Liba

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 5:57 am
All except the potatoes should freeze well.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 6:40 am
Done that many times successfully: pancakes (a lifesaver for breakfast!), tuna patties, cooked beans (cook in batch, keep some of the liquid, freeze in tupperwear or ziplock bags), lentil soup (or any soup that doesn't have chunky potato bits)

Won't do: raw potatoes, canned mushrooms. Textures change for these. I've frozen chopped and cooked mushroom (like pate) though.

ora_43

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 6:52 am
Thanks!

How do you reheat pancakes or french toast? Would I need to take them out the night before? Or put them in the microwave? Or reheat them on the stovetop?

Is it better to freeze things in plastic bags (the kind that zip shut) or in tupperware? Or it doesn't matter?

ora_43

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 7:13 am
Another question - can fresh fruit be frozen? In order to cook with, that is. I know mushy bananas do well, are plums and apples also OK? or applesauce?

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 7:49 am
I always reheat frozen french toast and pancaked by either defrosting them and eating them cold or sticking them straight from the freezer into the toaster oven.

Fyi, abotu freezing potatoes, I one time froze a bunch cut up into fries, but they got soggy when I fried them. Dh said he did not notice the difference. Cutting them up for soup should be fine, since they get mushy-ish anyway.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 9:48 am
For potatoes:
http://www.food.com/recipe/fro.....28380

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 9:49 am
A general rule for freezing: wrap tightly in two layers for optimal taste. (ie. wrapped in foil, and then sealed in a bag.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen