Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Fancy cakes for baking-challanged
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 9:52 am
Our community is planning a bake sale to raise some money for the shul. (anon, because there is at least one other person on here who would figure out who I am in a second, hi SN!). Everybody has to bake 5 things. I cannot bake to save my life (unless you count brownies as baking) and really don't enjoy it.

Does anybody have EASY recipes of things (cakes, cookies, cheesecakes etc) that come out looking nice and tasting good? I would really appreciate any help.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:02 am
Or if anyone else here has ever been to a bake sale, are there any other things sold at a bake sale that we can offer to bring? what else do you see at a bake sale that isn't a cake or cookie that I can offer to bring?! I am seriously baking-challenged but even if I could I don't have the hour per item that it would take me.

mamaleh

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:37 am
A few ideas: (let me know if you need more info for any of them)
*choc dipped pretzel rods
*cherry turnovers (really easy, beautiful & delicious)
*brownies (everyone loves them), you could even do a few flavor variations (mint, peanut butter, choc chip, mocha, etc.) and just call yourself the brownie lady

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:38 am
bundt cakes look pretty, there are a few recpies listed here. I love the amaretto one. muffins, cupcakes

notme

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:38 am
Sometimes they have little bags of fresh pop corn.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:40 am
mamaleh wrote:
*brownies (everyone loves them), you could even do a few flavor variations (mint, peanut butter, choc chip, mocha, etc.) and just call yourself the brownie lady

Thank so much mamaleh. The organizers said "no brownies". I guess they are not fancy enough for a bake sale Confused I have a feeling choc. covered pretzels might also be to shvach for this....

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:41 am
bnm wrote:
bundt cakes look pretty, there are a few recpies listed here. I love the amaretto one. muffins, cupcakes

Don't you need a special bundt pan? I guess I would buy...

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:42 am
make any cake with a pretty glaze. they make pretty cupcake holders these days to fancy them up. you can do a lemon merangue-ready graham crust, some ready lemon cream, whip up some egg whites, spread on top and bake till golden

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:43 am
amother wrote:
bnm wrote:

Don't you need a special bundt pan? I guess I would buy...

there are disposable tube pans, not as pretty but does the trick. you can buy ready made icing flowers to put on top

mamaleh

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
mamaleh wrote:

Thank so much mamaleh. The organizers said "no brownies". I guess they are not fancy enough for a bake sale Confused I have a feeling choc. covered pretzels might also be to shvach for this....

I would ask as you can do them with fancy toppings and individual bags. I think they are quite high class Queen .
Another idea: mini trifles (you can even use bought cake)
also peanut butter chews (aka pb rice krispie treats)

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:55 am
mamaleh wrote:
amother wrote:
mamaleh wrote:

I would ask as you can do them with fancy toppings and individual bags. I think they are quite high class Queen .

How do you make your pretzels high class? Doesn't hurt to ask if I could do them.
Also, what's mini trifles? HOw do you make them?

BNM, I have a feeling pies are also not fancy enough for these organizers. They want heavy-duty cakes with icings and whole gantze zach.

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:58 am
my neighbor used to buy chocolate covered sandwich cookies and pipe flowers on them. you can even get ready formed flowers and attach with melted chocolate or icing.. very pretty. if you diplay the cupcakes in a fancy thingy it looks very good.

http://www.google.com/products.....IwAA#

Hatemywig

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 11:02 am
I second the chocolate covered Pretzels.

You could make black and white cookies!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 11:41 am
Hatemywig wrote:
I second the chocolate covered Pretzels.

You could make black and white cookies!

how do you do that?

mamaleh

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
mamaleh wrote:
amother wrote:
mamaleh wrote:

How do you make your pretzels high class? Doesn't hurt to ask if I could do them.
Also, what's mini trifles? HOw do you make them?

BNM, I have a feeling pies are also not fancy enough for these organizers. They want heavy-duty cakes with icings and whole gantze zach.

Dip them in choc (half way) then roll in topping (use an assortment of chopped nuts-plain or carmelized, sprinkles- single color, multi color, or choc, non pariels, coconut- plain or toasted, etc) then wrap each in a bag and tie with a pretty ribbon (they make special bags, if you can't find them let me know) The prettiest way is to tie them just below the chocolate. Put them into vases or pretty buckets. You can sell them individually or as arrangements.
Mini trifles: get the little trifle cups. layer cake, pudding or jam and whipped cream. Add one of those tiny spoons and voila! (again if you can't find the supplies, let me know)

elmos

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 11:50 am
another simple pretty idea is rice krispy treats cut in bars or with a cookie cutter into cute shapes dippd into melted choc. can use reg. or colored and can also dip into sprinkles looks very nice and yet very easy.

fruit tarts with frozn dough squares can pie filling fold brush with egg bak than make a glaze of conf. sugar and water and drizzle over it looks pretty

make a brownie pie take a frozen crust or grahm cracker crust fill with brownie batter bake and frost can use premade frosting "fancy" twist on brownies

cupcakes always look prettier than a cake

They need to realize not everyone loves doing this
parve chese cake If you want recipe let me know on bowl batter into grahm cracker crust and can top with can pie filling looks much fancier than plain

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 11:56 am
This is delicious and simple to make.
http://www.hersheys.com/recipe.....d=184

If you want a recipe for lemon cookies which are really pretty and really good, let me know.

Also, greeneyes posted simple directions for beautiful linzer tarts yesterday.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....=vort

KBD's giant zebra cookies (crinkle cookies) are a snap to make, look great, and are delicious.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:06 pm
Not everyone likes fancy iced cakes, I'd overlook that for other options. Its also hard to make a home made iced cake look perfect and neat.

What about making fruit platters as a healthy option?

Chocolate chip cookies (my favorite) make them really big

Glazed cupcakes

Individual apple tarts - somthing like this http://thepioneerwoman.com/coo.....tart/ (I never made this one but I've made variations of it, and its always yummy, pretty, fast, and hard to mess up)

Or any type of pie: blueberry, apple, etc. Use a crumb topping, so you don't have to worry about the lattice being perfect. If you bake it in a tart pan with a removable bottom it is easy to come out.
In a tart pan you can also make fruit tarts. Do pie crust in the tart pan. Store bought custard. Then fresh fruit. Paint with melted jelly. You can make big ones, or buy ready made mini tarts and fill them with store bought custard and then fresh fruit. Like this:

Big biscotti wrapped pretty - its the new upscale cookie.

Last edited by sky on Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:18 pm
sky wrote:
Not everyone likes fancy iced cakes, I'd overlook that for other options. Its also hard to make a home made iced cake look perfect and neat.

What about making fruit platters as a healthy option?

Chocolate chip cookies (my favorite) make them really big

Glazed cupcakes

Individual apple tarts - somthing like this http://thepioneerwoman.com/coo.....tart/ (I never made this one but I've made variations of it, and its always yummy, pretty, fast, and hard to mess up)

Or any type of pie: blueberry, apple, etc. Use a crumb topping, so you don't have to worry about the lattice being perfect. If you bake it in a tart pan with a removable bottom it is easy to come out.
In a tart pan you can also make fruit tarts. Do pie crust in the tart pan. Store bought custard. Then fresh fruit. Paint with melted jelly. You can make big ones, or buy ready made mini tarts and fill them with store bought custard and then fresh fruit. Like this:

Big biscotti wrapped pretty - its the new upscale cookie.

YUM, thanks sky. Those tart look right up my valley.

What's your choc chip cookies recipe?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:19 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This is delicious and simple to make.
http://www.hersheys.com/recipe.....d=184

If you want a recipe for lemon cookies which are really pretty and really good, let me know.

Also, greeneyes posted simple directions for beautiful linzer tarts yesterday.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....=vort

KBD's giant zebra cookies (crinkle cookies) are a snap to make, look great, and are delicious.

I don't have KBD. Could you please post the recipe?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen