Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Fancy cakes for baking-challanged
Previous  1  2  3  Next

sky

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 9:20 am
Chocolate Pretzel Rods can be very nice. Like these:

sky

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 9:23 am
amother wrote:
YUM, thanks sky. Those tart look right up my valley.

What's your choc chip cookies recipe?

This recipe is very good for the cookies:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....okies

If you want to make ready made tarts with custard Bakers Choice makes one that is ready made (you can also buy a napolean cream powder by Baker's Choice and make it from that it comes out much cheaper if you need a lot, and tastes very good for this)

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 9:35 am
I just looked up the Hershey recipe it looks yum and not too hard. Can I do it as cupcakes?

also, I just emailed the organizer and fruit pies, etc. are perfectly acceptable.

if I make a fruit pie, can I do it in a store bought crust? how would I make the 'cover' (or wtvr its called)?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 9:37 am
PinkandYellow wrote:
I just looked up the Hershey recipe it looks yum and not too hard. Can I do it as cupcakes?

also, I just emailed the organizer and fruit pies, etc. are perfectly acceptable.

if I make a fruit pie, can I do it in a store bought crust? how would I make the 'cover' (or wtvr its called)?

Yay! Apple tarts for me Very Happy

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 9:42 am
PinkandYellow wrote:

Yes, you can make the Hershey recipe into cupcakes. Reduce the baking time, keeping an eye on them until they are just done -toothpick comes out clean.

ra_mom

PinkandYellow wrote:

Yes, you can make the Hershey recipe into cupcakes. Reduce the baking time, keeping an eye on them until they are just done -toothpick comes out clean.

sky

for fruit pies the store bought crusts are OK but I never seem to get the best shape out of it. I never know if I should be using the deep dish or the quiche ones or others. Maybe someone else on here will have a good idea.
For a toppinig I would use this recipe:

3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
6 Tbsp melted marg

Sprinkle topping on fruit before baking.

For mini fruit tarts check out the baking isle or freezer isle, you can probably find ready made tarts that you just have to fill with custard and fruit.

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 9:59 am
Idea: make various choc coverd pretzels and put about three/four in fancy slim boxes with a ribbon, kind of like the box necklaces come in, you can get for cheap from walmart or where ever. so if you want to do choc covered pretzel sticks, it could work out well this way.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:08 am
sky wrote:
Chocolate Pretzel Rods can be very nice. Like these:

OK, I am drooling now.

How do you make that chocolate swirl one? (I need a step-by-step recipe please)

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:21 am
this is easy and amazing. You can use ready made graham cracker shells. If you do you will get more then one cake out of the batter.

to make it look fancy shave chocolate on top.

Killer Cheesecake

Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1993 13:57:51 GMT

This is the best cheesecake recipe I have ever come across. If you
like Eli's cheesecake, you'll love this recipe. If you are on a diet,
skip over this recipe!!!

Ingredients:

2.5 lbs of cream cheese at room temp
1 3/4 granulated sugar
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 orange
1/4 reaspoon vanilla extract
5 eggs
2 additional egg yokes
1/4 cup whipping cream
9-inch springform pan lined generously with butter and patted
with graham cracker crumbs

Directions:

Heat oven to 500 degrees. Prepare springform pan. With and electric beater,
mix the cheese, sugar, flour, orange and lemon zests and vanilla until
smooth. Add the eggs and yokes, beating in one at a time, and finally the
cream.

Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan and bake for 10 minutes or
until the top of the cake turns golden brown. Reduce oven temperature to
200-225 and bake for one hour longer.

Remove cake from oven and cool on a rack until it reaches room temperature.
Then release the sides of the pan. Do not remove the bottom of the pan.
Place cake on a platter. Top with fruit or glaze, if desired, and serve.

Last edited by Raisin on Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:26 am
Any cake made in a bundt pan (I reccomend only using silicone) always looks nice. You can glaze it and put it on a nice plate. Like a chocolate cake with white chocolate glaze, or a white cake with chocolate glaze, chocolate with chocolate.. etc. Dairy even better.
If you can find a bundt pan in smaller size, thats nice too. Like a mini cake. Not individual. I haven't found them yet.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:32 am
Raisin wrote:
this is easy and amazing. You can use ready made graham cracker shells. If you do you will get more then one cake out of the batter.

to make it look fancy shave chocolate on top.

Did you mean to include a link, Raisin?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:33 am
http://candy.about.com/od/choc.....s.htm

sky

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
http://candy.about.com/od/chocolate/r/dipped_pretzels.htm

For some reason this took me to a virus like web site.

mamaleh

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 11:57 am
The swirl one is just drizzled with white choc.
Dip the pretzel in melted choc let cool & harden. melt white (or colored) choc in a ziploc bag. cut off a tiny bit at one corner. drizzle back & forth over pretzels.

hope that was clear enough

newmommy1

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 11:59 am
Could you do candied nuts in fancy bags? Or maybe popcorn like someone mentioned with other stuff in it, ie, nuts, melted chocolate etc? Would you consider baking sugar free desserts for diabetics and maybe no one will expect those to be fancy?

I have an easy recipe for Key Lime Tarts if you're interested:
buy graham cracker crusts that are individual tart sized instead of a whole pie

preheat oven to 350

mix 8 oz softened cream cheese (can use tofutti) and 1.5 cups sugar until smooth and creamy, add 2 eggs (1 at a time) beating well after each addition, add 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (can use bottled) and 1 TBSP grated lime peel. mix until well combined.
pour filling into tarts. bake for 10-15 min until filling is set
you can cut lime slices/wedges to top each one

Good luck!

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:22 pm
pinkbubbles wrote:
Any cake made in a bundt pan (I reccomend only using silicone) always looks nice. You can glaze it and put it on a nice plate. Like a chocolate cake with white chocolate glaze, or a white cake with chocolate glaze, chocolate with chocolate.. etc. Dairy even better.
If you can find a bundt pan in smaller size, thats nice too. Like a mini cake. Not individual. I haven't found them yet.

How do you get it come out nice? I baked a cake in a bundt pan twice and both times it the top part crumbled when I tried to take it out. ok its not silicon , but my a relative of mine has a silicone one and she said it never comes out good either.

sky

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:25 pm
I HATE my silicon bundt pan. I have never had a cake come out good yet.

suzyq

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:28 pm
SPRAY, SPRAY SPRAY that cooking spray to get bundt cakes to come out well. Also, let them really cool before trying to take them out. Even with all that, I still usually need to use a knife along the sides and the middle tube part to loosen it up before coming out. If you do all that, it should be pretty.

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:32 pm
well I didn't have baking spray but I greased it with a lot of oil. I let it cool and took it out carefully - oh well. it tastes good. sorry for going off topic, op.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen