Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What do we need to check out in Atlanta?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 11:22 am
We are planning on moving to a new community and decided to plan a trip to check out Atlanta, which is at the top of our list. We can manage to get there for maybe a week to confirm this decision. Any suggestions on what we should be sure to see/do/who to meet while we're there? I don't want to waste this trip!

Thanks!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 11:37 am
I was never there but heard that Atlanta has a nice community.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 1:52 pm
Thanks, yeah it has a good reputation!

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 3:07 pm
This is not Atlanta specific, but more of a general list of questions to ask before moving.
My BIL's family is there, (they moved from NorthEast about 8yrs ago, they're very very happy in Atlanta, except for traffic and school runs).

- what kind of synagogues are there, one or more that may fit you?
what kind of shiurim/learning opportunities are there?
are most people born and raised or many transplants? welcoming to newcomers?
- schools: nursery/pre-school, how does that feed to elementary/secondary schools?
does mix btween limudei kodesh/chol fit how you want to educate children?
- basic amenities: eruv, mikva, kosher shops (costs/variety of products/CY),
kosher restaurants, bakeries, sheitel machers
- ease of commuting to work and school runs
(you should ideally do a mock commuting/school runs in the morning/afternoon rush hour)
- housing options and costs
- local property tax?
- is the neighbourhood safe? criminal stats?
- if relevant, how easy is it to fly to your family? (choice of airlines, frequency of flights)

Brown

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 7:03 pm
Of course you need to look up my nephew in college while you're there. I understand there's a good kosher resturaunt he likes. My sister is in Adel.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 7:07 pm
I don't know if you have a specific community in mind, but you may want to check out the different neighborhoods (which are not in walking distance from each other) Toco Hills, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs...

amother

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 7:35 pm
I grew up in Atlanta!! (hence the anonymous post, since this is really specific information and I don't want to reveal my identity!)

I loved it there so much. From about the age of 3 til I was 18...such a nice place to live. I recommend the Toco Hills neighborhood. There is one long street that runs the length of it (LaVista Rd.). Ironically, much of the orthodox community live on streets with x-mas-themed names (Merry, x-mas, Reindeer and Holly to name a few).

Basically, Briarcliff Rd, North Druid Hills Rd, and Lavista, come together in a little triangle that makes up the Jewish area.

There are usually houses available either to rent or for sale. Gated apartment communities such as Calibre Woods and Post Briarcliff are also really popular with the Jewish community (plus they come with their own workout centers and pools, at no extra cost).

Both the Kroger and Publix supermarkets in the Toco Hills shopping center have kosher bakeries. IMO, Publix is better as they have tons of both dairy and parve desserts/bread (certified by the AKC) and a glatt kosher meat and fish department where you can get AMAZING subway-style subs. Yum.

Shuls in the area are Young Israel and Beth Jacob.

I could go on and on and on, but you will see, it's a great place.

zb99m

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 7:49 pm
There are many natives in addition to tons of transplants- the community is SO welcoming and warm; I hated to have to leave...

Young Israel, Beth Jacob...plus Ner HaMizrach and Netzach Yisrael...

The Atlanta community is quite simply, amazing.

As for visiting, I'd recommend visiting the schools, check out the supermarkets, maybe try a couple of different shuls on Shabbos. Ask around re: expenses to compare, though living expenses in general are far less than in NY. Enjoy your visit and try to fit in a bit of touristy stuff, too- it's good to know what there is to do in any town you choose to live in.

marina

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 8:04 pm
we lived in Sandy Springs for a while and I taught at the day school there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating