Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah Dough

thebestmommy

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 11:51 am
Can I make Challah dough and put it in the fridge for later use?

I want to make the dough now and let it rise later. Is it OK to put it in the fridge? Did anyone ever try this?

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 11:59 am
I Havent tried it, but I am sure you can. Nechama Greisman anthology has alot of freezer tips...I have it at hoem will check it out for u..

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 12:14 pm
I heard people freeze their dough

Tefila

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 1:52 pm
Yes you can seperate into a few batches wrap well after first rising label and write date so u know when you made it then freeze. Hatzlacha

girliesmommy

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 2:49 pm
If you put the dough in the fridge, it will rise in there! Challah dough rises in extreme temperatures (either hot or cold). If you want to stop it from rising, put it in the freezer. You will probably need to add some flour to it after you defrost it, since it gets watery. When you're ready to use it, take it out of the freezer, defrost at room temperature and then let it rise.

mimiinla

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 3:12 pm
I shape mine and then freeze the loaves. They are wrapped very well and Thursday night I take them out, unwrap them and let them rise on the counter with some plastic wrap loosly covering them. Then in the morning they are ready to go. I get compliments all the time and it is so much easier to make 1 huge batch once a month.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 3:14 pm
wow! Now we need a new freezer 8)

and a place to put it, whcih means a new house

Sunshine

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 3:28 pm
How does the dough not loose its shape and get smooshed in the freezer? I make a bunch of dough for like a month and shape and bake it. No one can tell it was in the freezer because before shabbos I defrost it and bake it for 10 min and leave it in the hot oven till we eat at night. Everyone thinks it was baked on Fri as it comes out steaming hot and fresh! LOL

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 3:33 pm
well, it was baked on Fri!!! Smile

Sunshine

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 3:50 pm
Rewarmed from the freezer but shaaaaaa don't tell anyone Wink

Tefila

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 4:00 pm
Remember sunshine the dough has not been shaped just kneaded and risen one time so who cares how smooshed it is.It won't be that way when it's shaped risen again and baked Confused

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 4:56 pm
we won't tell!! lol

Freilich, nice pic!!!

Sunshine

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 5:33 pm
Freilich, mimiinla said that she shapes hers and then freezes it, so I want to know what she does. But Freilich I want to know how come you freeze the dough if you anyways have to let it rise 2 times after it defrosts? Does it really save that much time? How long does it take you to make the dough anyways? That is why I do e/t from a-z including baking so I only have to reheat it. For me the timesaver is that I don't have to stay home and ready to punch it down and shape it just to have to let it rise again and then be home while it bakes. There is never enough time to run out and do things in between the diff steps so that is what takes up a long time also I sometimes get distracted in between so that's my prob. Something I found to be a timesaver is I measure the dry ingredients-flour, yeast, sugar, salt- the night before so the next day I only have to add the oil eggs and water!

Tefila

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 8:57 pm
After it defrosts over night in the fridge I will shape then let rise once. It's less headache and less mess and quicker. Then if I were to make dough weekly. Also this way I know the hard stuff is done incase I don't feel like it one week!

Tefila

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 9:13 pm
Also remember I have a second pair of hands to shape. My son loves it. Very Happy

mimiinla

Post Fri, Feb 25 2005, 2:30 am
Sunshine wrote:
How does the dough not loose its shape and get smooshed in the freezer? I make a bunch of dough for like a month and shape and bake it. No one can tell it was in the freezer because before shabbos I defrost it and bake it for 10 min and leave it in the hot oven till we eat at night. Everyone thinks it was baked on Fri as it comes out steaming hot and fresh! LOL

I clear a spage on the bottom shelf of the freezer and freeze the loaves on a baking sheet first. Then I wrap them up. It is difficult sometimes when I have too much stuff in there, though!

supermom

Post Sun, Mar 06 2005, 9:34 pm
I shape it then put it in bags. After it has frozen solid I stack it up until ready to use. Never had the problem of it loosing its shape after it has defrosted.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads