Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
ISO hair trimmer
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 1:22 pm
I've decided it's time to stop paying the barber to run his buzzer over DH's head every few weeks. I'm sure I'll be making some grand messes with this so maybe I should be asking for a vacuum recommendation too... Anyway I'm no professional and don't want to invest in anything major expensive, but I don't want to blow it on junk either. Anyone know what is a decent quality hair-cutting device on the low end?

Also would appreciate tips on where to get one, but I'm sure if I know what to look for I can find the deals online somehow...

Any tips on giving home haircuts welcome too!

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 6:32 pm
Bump...

Google hasn't been too helpful, I see trimmers and reviews and stuff but since I don't really know what I'm looking for...

I saw this one in Target's weekly ad, but seems their price is no better than anyone else's regular price (though it does net you a $5 credit to Target) http://www.amazon.com/Philips-.....t_top

Opinions?

be good

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 9:43 pm
we have this one from century 21: (although this link it to walmart's site)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Phil.....50233

originally purchased for dh's (course, thick) beard. worked well, I gave him my first (disaster of a) haircut with it. then it was borrowed and lost. I decided to play barber again so we borrowed this one from a friend:

http://www.frys.com/product/4697168

it felt fancier and more durable, it was hard for me to clip on the attachments, but I managed. haircut was a bit better. I didnt know until this very minute that it was cheaper than ours!! we returned it to our friends, and when he needed another haircut I went to target and re-bought our old one, the phillips norelco G480. gave him a spectacular haircut. you'd never know I learned from a you-tube clip!

I recommend it!

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 11:16 pm
Bump - Anyone else? Help, please!
Anyone know what brands are durable?
Easy to use?
Do they ALL have a whole bunch of little plastic parts to keep track of and take care of and not break?!
Do you get what you pay for - I.e. will I get more/easier use out of a $40 clipper than a $20 one?

What have you used and liked?
or
What have you used and disliked so much that you think I should stay away from it?

Happy 2B

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 11:23 pm
I have an amazing trimmer I use on my own head but my friend suggested cuz she uses it on her kids. It wasn't cheap though. I wanted something that would last and would be smooth. The brand is wahl it's a cordless with a plug so I use it cordless and if I run out of batteries I can also plug it in so you are never stuck with half a head shaved. I bought mine in Duddy's in Boro park if you want to know the exact model to see where to find it online let me know I will check the box.

It's a very good company so if you didn't want to pay so much you can always get one of their less pricey models.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 11:34 pm
Any idea which model? Is it like the one "be good" linked to above? That's Wahl. Is it easy to learn how to use well? I'm getting this for DH and I don't want to totally embarrass him Wink

Here's the lineup of Wahls on Amazon, if that makes it easier for you to give a nudge in the right direction: http://www.amazon.com/gp/searc.....89011

Happy 2B

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 11:38 pm
its very very easy to use I do it myself. I have to go check the model.

Happy 2B

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 11:41 pm
like I said.. I see it's pretty costly. here is the model I have.
http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Chr.....r=1-1

But I love it!! and so does my friend so you have 2 good reviews already and she has more than a dozen kids so she uses it alot Smile

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 12:13 am
Oh dear thanks a lot for the recommendation but that's seriously out of my budget... I'd like to stay under $50 at least...sorry should've specified but most of what I was seeing was in that range anyway

Happy 2B

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 12:18 am
I"m terribly sorry I used my chasuna money to buy it Smile totally out of my budget right now. I would go with the best reviews on amazon then. you want my suggestion? I dont mind looking them over again.

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 12:22 am
Well if you have time to kill and really want to, you can let me know if anything looks like a similar less expensive version... but I know from experience that getting started comparison shopping from amazon reviews is a major way to lose a good night's sleep... !!!

Happy 2B

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 12:44 am
Seems like I'm up anyway so I might as well try.

Happy 2B

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 12:50 am
I think this one http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-795.....=1-12

One of the tricks of reading reviews is how many reviews an item has. There are items that are 4.5 stars but only have 9 reviews this one has over 200 reviews that gives the reviews more value because so many people are happy. I will continue to look but so far this one looks good. Nothing fancy but it's a good brand it's on sale win win win Smile

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 1:11 am
Wow you're right I don't have time now to actually READ reviews but that average is amazing. Does yours also have a zillion parts though?! Seems kinda overwhelming...

I don't need anything fancy just something sturdy and user-friendly that will give my DH his "number 3" cut (whatever that means?) and hopefully one day also serve some little sons IY"H (or at least give mommy some practice so I'll know what I'm doing when the sons get here!)

Thanks!

Happy 2B

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 1:15 am
Mine does not have a million parts but you dont have to use the scissor and all the things they give you...

it gives you combs to come your hair (good to have)
clips if you have long hair (dont need)
oil (keep the machine running)
DVD probably instructional for when you are bored
and then different combs so your husband can choose the 3 and keep it on the machine to use all the time.

so ignore all the extras and use what you need.

This has one of the highest reviews with the most reviews and a good price.. seems like a good choice to me..

The rest is Siata D'shmaya Smile

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 1:32 am
I *could* wait for more recommendations or read reviews all night but I think I should just go for it before DH head gets any shaggier :p

The older version on Amazon is the same price (if you take shipping into account) and comes with a cordless "trimmer;" is this something that matters? Should I assume that if it mattered they would have included it in the newer version also? Whadaya think?

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 3:49 am
Aaaaaand... in a surprise late-night twist I have ordered the Peanut. http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....oduct

We'll see how it does and update if anyone's actually interested. I can't believe so few people are interested in home haircutting (or just too selfish to respond?) Hopefully this will save us a fortune.

Happy 2B

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 10:07 pm
so how is peanut?

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 11:40 pm
Haha this is too funny! I was JUST about to PM you!

So here's the story...
I ordered the peanut and it came and I surprised DH and lo! It was really a peanut! And it seems I made a poor judgment call because cute and little is just not macho enough for DH's hair Rolling Eyes
So I returned the peanut and ordered the other one you linked me to.
And while we were waiting for it to arrive, DH's hair got shaggy and he got another barber cut. And when he goes to the barber he cuts it SHORT so he doesn't need another cut so soon.
So there we were, with our brand new Wahl professional thingydoodad and no hair to cut.
Flichen!

Anyway, last night FINALLY I gave DH his first home haircut and I dare say I think it looked pretty good. It didn't take too long but I wasn't timing it and I had to stop like 4 times to calm down the baby. And, because the baby wouldn't calm down, I did most of it one-handed. And it STILL came out just dandy. Not like I'm a maven to judge. But I think it looks better than the baldy cuts he gets when he doesn't want to go back to the barber too soon.

SCORE!

Oh, and the 3rd-party seller it shipped through seems to have sent an older version. I was tired of the whole game already so I decided not to care, but I could have saved time and money on shipping by ordering the older one through amazon Prime. (The box had a grayish-brown stripe and no DVD, whereas the one on the product page had a blue stripe and a DVD and said it was the newer version of the grayish-stripe one.) Anyway it works and I don't care enough to do anything except maybe send off an email to the company.

Thanks for all your help!

peanutg

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 6:51 pm
bumping this up... seeker, so which brand did you get in the end? Happy? What's the price range?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars