Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
You Don't Toivel Dishes-Can I Eat By You?
1  2  Next

Do you toivel your dishes?
Yes  
 81%  [ 65 ]
No  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Sometimes  
 13%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 80

amother

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 8:49 pm
So we've discovered my MO relative once again is not toiveling her dishes. Do you toivel or not? Why? Am I allowed to eat by somebody who doesn't toivel? Is their food considered kosher?

yummymummy

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 8:51 pm
what type of dishes? there are different shitos as to whether china has to be toiveled.

ChutzPAh

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 8:55 pm
What yummy said. There are differences of opinion of what has to be toiveled. Do you mean that your relative never toivels anything?

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 8:57 pm
in general we toivel our dishes however there is a sertain china (im not sure wat its called )which does not need to be toiveled accordingto how it was made or something. we had this issue with a set of china we got for my mom. Dh went to toivel it and while he was doing so a man dealing in this line came in saw what he was doing ant told him there was no need to toivel that set. Dh took it to a Dayan to ask and verify sand he was told the same he didnt toivel it in the end.

However youre talking about a MO relative do they keep kosher the way you do, hechsheirim... pas yisroel bishul yisroel cholov yisrol... are you on the same grounds. if yes then the untoiveled dishes shouldnt either bother you if not then you need to evaluate your priorities, cashrus.

shnitzel

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 9:05 pm
I remember learning in high school that you can eat out of something that was not toiveled but not directly so you can drink water from a pitcher that wasn`t toiveled but not out of a non toiveled glass. That being said we have eaten off DH`s grandmother`s china and none of it was toiveled but we didn`t think of it at the time. She toivels in her kitchen sink!

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 9:49 pm
Earthenware and china do not need tevilla. If you do toivel them you cannot make a bracha. (many people hold this way)

Glass and metal need tevila.

Plastic does not.

if someones rav told them they do not need to toivel X, I would eat there.

shnitzel

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 9:52 pm
OP didn`t mention what type of dishes...
She could be eating off silver for all we know.
I believe corelle is an issue because it is really glass.

Mimisinger

From what I understand, the onus is on the owner of the dishes. It's a different mitzvah than kashrut. And so, the dishes are kosher but they are not getting the mitzva of toveling.

chanahlady

Even if the dishes aren't toiveled, the food is still kosher AFAIK.

louche

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 10:05 pm
AYLOR. Really. What my rabbi says will be different from what your rabbi says.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 5:07 am
Mimisinger wrote:
From what I understand, the onus is on the owner of the dishes. It's a different mitzvah than kashrut. And so, the dishes are kosher but they are not getting the mitzva of toveling.

My parents are n ot frum and that's what we were told. We were told if we bought them something it would be great to toivel it before hand if we could do it without offending them, but just because they weren't willing to toivel their pots / pans / silverware / etc didn't make their food non kosher or not fit for us to eat.

freidasima

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 6:22 am
From what I was taught toiveling has absolutely nothing to do with kashrus. The dishes are kosher as long as the person keeps separation between milchig and fleishig. All the rest is not kashrus it is something else (don't ask me what).

Also there are different shitos, We only toivel metal and glass, certainly not china or anything else. And not all metal either, if it has electricity attached (hence a toaster doesn't get toiveled).

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 7:26 am
I seem to remember learning that the onus is on the owner of the dishes and that there is no problem eating off of someone else's non toiveled dishes. I could be remembering wrong though.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 7:32 am
ChossidMom wrote:
I seem to remember learning that the onus is on the owner of the dishes and that there is no problem eating off of someone else's non toiveled dishes. I could be remembering wrong though.

That's what I was told too.

happyone

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 7:36 am
True Bone China does not need to be toiveled. Porcelain or fine china, does.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 7:46 am
I just tovelled my new corelle, but we did not tovel anything ceramic or that came out of a kiln when we became more kosher. only glass and metal. corelle is glass, I would eat on someone else's non tovelled dishes.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 4:25 pm
OP here. She knows that we only eat on toiveled dishes but I don't think she toivels at all. I found stickers on her dishes and she makes food for us regularly. I really don't know what to do about it as my Rav is out of town right now.

hannah95

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 4:30 pm
Why did you specify she's MO ?

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 4:35 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
I just tovelled my new corelle, but we did not tovel anything ceramic or that came out of a kiln when we became more kosher. only glass and metal. corelle is glass, I would eat on someone else's non tovelled dishes.

you would eat on someones non toivelled glass or metal dishes?

saw50st8

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. She knows that we only eat on toiveled dishes but I don't think she toivels at all. I found stickers on her dishes and she makes food for us regularly. I really don't know what to do about it as my Rav is out of town right now.

Is it possible she toiveled and missed one or two stickers? I know I've done that in the past.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions