Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Bath-time and sibling 'discovery'

amother

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 7:12 pm
I have a 6 year old DS and a 1 year old DD.

DS knows that boys and girls 'look different' since he sometimes watches me change diapers, and he is pretty ok with the fact for now.

DD obviously has no idea.

Tonight I decided for the sake of expedience and fun to bathe my children together, which I have done before. DS decided to lay face up (tummy up) in the tub so his ears could be underwater, and all the sudden my daughter found a new plaything below his belly button.

I stopped her right away of course, and when I asked him, he said he hadn't even felt it (I guess I got to her quick enough). I told DS that he can tell her no, but not to yell at her, since she doesn't know better, and it's something she just doesn't recognize. He was ok with it. A few minutes later he laid down again and she did it again, this time he felt it and was tickled. I stopped her of course again.

So, does this mean joint baths are out from now on, or is just reminding him not to lay down if she is in the tub (thereby leaving himself exposed) enough?

Also, sometimes my kids bathe with my nephew (3 yo) and niece (1 yo). Should I stop those?

bnm

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 7:56 pm
we used to wear panties if we bathed together and that also stopped at a certain age.

Depressed

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 8:09 pm
when my brother was 4 he started screaming at my mother theres sthing wrong with her . Her poodoo fell off

marina

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 8:11 pm
I would not bath a six year old boy together with a girl.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 8:21 pm
not a good idea

losingweight

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 8:36 pm
Sometimes for fun we would bathe in bathing suits--safe and fun.

geemum

Post Fri, Dec 17 2010, 6:14 am
my 1 year old DD used to do the same, when she bathed with DS.
Kept telling her no and taking her hands away and explained to 6 year old DS not to let her, and now she doesn't touch. Bathing my kids together is much easier for me, so for the time being, I see no reason why not.

willow

Post Fri, Dec 17 2010, 6:45 am
My 5 yr old dd knows already because she see me changing my newborns diaper.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 17 2010, 6:46 am
geemum wrote:
Kept telling her no and taking her hands away and explained to 6 year old DS not to let her, and now she doesn't touch. Bathing my kids together is much easier for me, so for the time being, I see no reason why not.

I would be extremely uncomfortable with this!

geemum

Post Fri, Dec 17 2010, 7:21 am
Ruchel wrote:
geemum wrote:

I would be extremely uncomfortable with this!

what's the big deal?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 17 2010, 7:30 am
Siblings shouldn't touch each other down there. I'm not sure how a parent can be comfortable with it happening. I wouldn't say no, it would be the end of bathing together.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics