Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Camp jobs for 15 year old son?

the mom

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 1:47 am
Hello
My son will iyh be 15 going into 10th grade this summer and looking to work at a sleepaway camp. He's never been a camper at one (due to $) but is pretty mature, very responsible and yes, also has experience being away on his own. Problem is that the camps I know about only start hiring at 11th grade. Any ideas on camps that would hire him (and not charge me $$$ for the privilege Smile? Looking for a yeshivish atmosphere but not too serious (or focused on brand names).

thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 6:45 pm
that's too young for youth corp pay, right? my kids didn't have jobs at that age. they couldn't find them.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 6:51 pm
OP, you left out one problem, which is that camps like to hire former campers. Sorry to add to your challenge list...
There's no boy mother's helper job, is there?
NY camps used to hire after 10th grade, but now they want campers as old as they can keep getting them and charging them; even staff is charged for the privilege.
A camp here in Israel wouldn't hire my son because they said they wanted campers up to 18! I was like, kids used to work at 15-16, and I believe it was better for them. My son (19) was hired by the competition.

the mom

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 11:07 pm
you're right--I forgot to include it but I knew it was a challenge that he's not a former camper!! Have we uncovered one of the contributions towards the common allergy to hard work and focus in the yeshivish world today (yes BH, there are plenty of hardworking men too, but you know what I mean Smile? Because they are so pampered even in the summer and don't get a chance to work?

My son would really enjoy working in the right environment...oh well...still open to any suggestions!

thanks!

kalsee

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 1:36 am
Maybe he can be a waiter? that is usually an option in girl camps.

cuz it's BUOP week

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 3:48 am
Maybe a smaller camp will hire younger.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children